X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Specify /home partition during install

Hello all, first time posting!

I'm currently running Kubuntu 15.10, and I'm looking at doing a fresh install for 16.04 - and I had a question regarding custom /home partitions.

Kubuntu 15.10 has been my first Linux distro, and when I set it up, I moved /home to a different HDD. I understand that the standard Ubuntu installer has a place where you can specify /home if it's not on the system partition, and I just wanted to make sure that the Kubuntu installer has a way to specify this as well.

TIA!

Hi shadedmagus, and welcome to the Kubuntu forums!

Yes, when installing, choose to specify the partitions manually rather than letting the installer choose where to install the system, home, swap, etc. I always install this way myself (as do a number of forum members) as I prefer to set up the partitions using Gparted prior to the install. I think there is very little difference between the installers in this regard at least.
    Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
    Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

My method was to pre-partition the hard just like Rod does. Although, this was a hold over from previous years when Ubiquity (our installer) often crashed during formatting.

Currently however, I exclusively use the btrfs file system instead of ext4. One of the many advantages to btrfs is it's us of subvolumes to segregate data without segregating hard drive space. Ubiquity, if one selects btrfs to format a partition, will automatically install the OS to a subvolume labeled @ and /home to @home removing the need to create separate partitions. If you're a little adventurous, you might consider trying btrfs.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
      X