Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

kubuntu 16.04 halts at "all shell scripts missing etc." at first startup after instal

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 16.04 halts at "all shell scripts missing etc." at first startup after instal

I am a great Kubuntu fan. I am curious about the 16.04 release. And I hope I can contribute a little by giving feedback. But the problem is that it appears to be impossible to startup kde after installation. It halts at the message: "all shell scripts missing etc". This happens to me every time. Can I do something about it?

I thought that perhaps this strange behaviour was caused by the way I create my startup usb (sudo cp example.iso /dev/sdX and then sync). So this time I used the shiny new tool provided by Ubuntu 16.04. It gave the same result: "all shell scripts are missing".
    The installer starts up nicely but at first startup of kde it halts.

Comment

I just installed Ubuntu daily on the same partition. Out of curiosity. It starts up without any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by pieter View Post
        I thought that perhaps this strange behaviour was caused by the way I create my startup usb (sudo cp example.iso /dev/sdX and then sync). So this time I used the shiny new tool provided by Ubuntu 16.04. It gave the same result: "all shell scripts are missing".
        The installer starts up nicely but at first startup of kde it halts.
        "sudo cp example.iso /dev/sdX" -- IF you really did use cp, that isn't going to work. I'm surprised you were actually able to boot from it. If you want to use the console to create a USB stick, use dd instead. See Qqmikes post on the subject at https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...712#post378712
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What shiny new tool? Not aware of anything new in this area.
          Have you checked the md5sum to verify that the downloaded iso is good, re-dowmloaded it?

Recent versions of *buntu have been problematic when it comes to making bootable flash drives. You don't simply copy the iso file to one.
          There are many tools to create one, but many do not reliably create working ones. The most reliable method is using the dd command, or use a gui tool that uses dd to do the job, such as mkusb

But step one is to verify the mdfsum on your iso, and perhaps try the beta-2 iso over a daily-build.

Comment

I am not "just copying". I am copying the iso on the "raw device". That is: not /dev/sdb1 but /dev/sdb. The iso brings along its own filesystem. It works all the time.
            B.t.w. I copied the ubuntu iso the same way on the usb device.
            Very recently the ubuntu developer put time in the "startup disk creator". It works in a dd kind of way now. So it is much more reliable. Try it.

Mean while, has anyone tips for the "missing shell script issue". I tried to install a kubuntu daily from time to time and I always get this.

Comment

You can use the approach suggested by Snowhog to create a bootable startup disk or you can use the package usb-creator-kde. With this package you select the iso file, eg xenial-desktop-amd64.iso and it creates a bootable usb disk. An image of the usb file structure that I created for Xenial using this approach is shown in the graphic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu_Boot.png
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	643188

You can then boot this to start the installation process. When this is completed you can boot the installed system. In some cases, it may not come up correctly and you can enter the console with alt+ctl+F1 and enter username and password. The installation my then be competed by updating with
              Code:
              sudo apt update; sudo apt full-upgrade
              This may then install the graphic drivers so that the system can be booted up to give your desktop. All this requires internet connection, preferably with Ethernet if you are having problems.

Comment

I have more or less solved the problem. I went into the "recovery mode" in grub. There I connected to the network. After that I did "dpkg". Over 30 packages appeared to be broken. After that I chose "root" and I did "apt-get install kubuntu-desktop". One piece of plasma-software appeared to be missing. But now I can login!
                The Dutch language pack kde-l10n-nl is still not installable though. And I miss the muon package manager which is also not installable at the moment.
                The system feels not so stable but reasonably ok.
                Good luck to the devs!!!

Comment

Working...
                X