This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

slow network with apt-get

it seams to me that the network speeds I am getting when I do my updates with apt-get are slower than in my other installs.

hear in 16.04 (net upgraded from 15.10) I get an avrage of 84 KB/s and in all the rest (14.04 both Ubuntu and Kubuntu Debian-8-KDE and Netrunner-17) I can get over a 1000 KB/s .

any one else ,,,,,,,,

I may do a clean install on the official release to this partition .

VINNY
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Download speeds aren't going to be affected by the release of Kubuntu one is using. Try changing the server that is being used.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Indeed, it is largely server dependent.
      I've just done some major 16.04 updates from two different servers and both worked fine.

PS, it (16.04) looks better with each update!

Comment

IDN ,,,,,,,,all my installs are using the server for the US ,,,,but still their is a noticeable difference in the time + I am getting a lot of hash sum errors and half to run apt-get agin and maby agin before it completes.

VINNY
        16GB RAM

Comment

There isn't 'the' US server, check a different one!

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            There isn't 'the' US server, check a different one!
            Code:
            Get:15 http://[COLOR=#ff0000]us.archive[/COLOR].ubuntu.com/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages [1,456 kB]
            ?

VINNY
            16GB RAM

Comment

Good point Vinny. If you use Muon, you actually see "Server for the US" as a selection. However, this is misleading. If you select "Other servers..." there's a list of more than 30-40 servers that reside in the USA. It should probably say "Default US server" rather than "THE server..."

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Good point Vinny. If you use Muon, you actually see "Server for the US" as a selection. However, this is misleading. If you select "Other servers..." there's a list of more than 30-40 servers that reside in the USA. It should probably say "Default US server" rather than "THE server..."
                Aaaaa see I did not know their were more choices(yes I do) ,,,,,,I never change/set it in any of my installs so the one it's reading from must be a default kind of thing but I will check and see .

VINNY
                16GB RAM

Comment

awsome ,,,,,,,,,,,,,glad I ran my Pi hole ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lol couldent resist on Pi day

but realy I wint to muon>settings>configure software sources clicked the dropdown on "download from" and selected other ,,,,,,,,in the window that pops up their is a "Select best server"button.

I think O hell why not ,,,,,,and click it .

it proceeds to ping all the servers on the list and picked this one for me ,,,,,,,,,and O ya thats much better

Code:
                  Get:57 http://mirrors.advancedhosters.com/ubuntu xenial-proposed/main amd64 ruby2.3 amd64 2.3.0-4ubuntu3 [40.9 kB]                                                       
                  [COLOR=#ff0000]Fetched 35.2 MB in 20s (1,734 kB/s) [/COLOR]
                  VINNY
                  16GB RAM

Comment

Comment

Funny, I've never done that Vinny. Since we're so close together (geographically speaking ) I switched to the same server. Good tip!

Please Read Me

Comment

For me, it selected http://ubuntu.osuosl.org/ubuntu
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It's partially because I'm travelling to unusual places that I've gotten used to this ping service for finding the best server for that moment.

But even today being at home I had an authentication error on the usual Dutch server and reverting to a different one fixed the problem.
                          I'm pretty sure the original server will be fixed soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                            It's partially because I'm travelling to unusual places that I've gotten used to this ping service for finding the best server for that moment.
                            I had no idea it was even their ,,,,I new you could select a server ,,,,but did not know this "find the best one" thing was hear .

Like I said I always just leave the default ,,,,,,,,,so I would assume all the installs are using the same one ,,,,,so should act the same ,,,,,But in 16.04 ,,,,,,it was a lot slower.

VINNY
                            16GB RAM

Comment

Working...
                            X