This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting an application updated in the repositories

I'm curious how one goes about getting an application updated in the repositories. I'm involved in a discussion in another group that uses an application called XTrakCAD. Searching apt shows that all you can get is version 4.0.2, but the latest version is 4.2.1. Obviously, someone needs do go through a process to get the new version into the repository. Where can I go to find out what that process is and maybe help these folks out?

Thanks
    Bill Lugg

I'll let the RealExpertsTM answer, but it seems you can't. As the Muon message says, Caution: Muon always selects the most applicable version available. If you force a different version from the default one, errors in the dependency handling can occur.

But, usually, IME, you can download the newer version from the vendor's website and go that route, handling updates and such yourself.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

It all boils down to which repository a package is from.

Ubuntu takes a snapshot of Debian Unstable, and uses that as the base for the next release. Packages are divided into the different repositories:
      1. Main - Officially supported software.
      2. Restricted - Supported software that is not available under a completely free license.
      3. Universe - Community maintained software, i.e. not officially supported software.
        This is where quite a lot of things are found, the less popular or used things. These are automatically ported over when Ubuntu takes it's Debian snapshot, and as it its Debian, these things are often a bit behind whatever is actually current, especially the less well known things.
      4. Multiverse - Software that is not free.

Now xtrkcad is definitely in universe:

Code:
      $ apt-cache policy xtrkcad
      xtrkcad:
        Installed: (none)
        Candidate: 1:4.0.2-2ubuntu1
        Version table:
           1:4.0.2-2ubuntu1 0
              500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ wily/universe amd64 Packages
      To get a new version, one would have to either compile it from source, find if a ppa somewhere has a newer version, or convince a MOTU volunteer to update it. It would be easy if there was a more up-to-date version somewhere in Debian, but there isn't. I don't see an up-to-date package in any ppa, either.

It would actually be quicker and probably not too difficult to actually compile it yourself, believe it or not.

HOWEVER
      .....looking at the downloads page on the xtrkcad website, they offer up-to-date deb files there - the " Ubuntu 12.04.5 and later" options. Download and double click the file; it will prompt you that it needs to install some dependencies but it installs and runs just fine.

The package they provide, however, is versioned such that it will thin k that the older version is the newer one, so you will have to open Muon Package Manager, check for updates, and find the listing for xtrkcad. Click on it, and at the bottom, click on the 'Versions" tab, click the 4.2.1 entry and then click "force version". This will 'pin' it, and prevent it from being upgraded.

You'll have to check for new versions on your own from their website, and do these steps each time they offer a new release.
      Last edited by claydoh; Oct 31, 2015, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info on this. It will help.

I wasn't aware of what could be done in the package manager to prevent it from being "upgraded".

Bill Lugg

Comment

1. Multiverse - Software that is not free.
          Still free as in beer, just not as in speech.

Please Read Me

Comment

you can also make or ask the dev team to make a ppa for the program so that you will get updates with your normal updates.
            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Working...
            X