This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SDDM issue on 15.10 after recent kernel upgrades

After a reboot, I now get a munged screen - it looks like the size/refresh or something is terribly wrong. I can see colors of the desktop but the desktop is unintelligible. I have been able to get to a working system by dropping to a terminal ALT-F2 (I see a few pixels shift so I think I'm in a terminal) Type in sudo systemctl enable sddm.service -f ENTER then the sudo password.

The system will then log me in - the screen is still munged, but I have simple slate gray background and can see it change from the default orange stuff. once the disk stops working I again ALT-F2, type logout and get dropped to sddm where I can now magically see everything just as it should be. I wonder if I might have some issues with files in ~/.local or ~/.kde but why would a kernel update cause an issue there. Weird.

x86_64 Linux 4.2.0-27-generic
    AMD A6-3620 APU with Radeon HD Graphics @ 2.2GHz

a quick note: I am seeing lots of errors like this
    kernel: [ 182.229964] usb 4-2: 1:1: cannot get freq at ep 0x1
    in /var/log/kern.log.

Comment

That error is from a USB device. Not likely the source of your problem, which I would guess is related to video driver.

Please Read Me

Comment

This is the problem I am having
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/+bug/1535763

@oshunluvr, you are correct, I have a usb soundcard that is apparently having issues communicating since the system has already mounted the internal sound card at that point. I can fix that by removing the internal card since I'm not using it.

The SDDM problem is evil though.

Comment

Does restarting SDDM clear it up, like reported in the bug? It looks like you have to either;

1. Revert to the previous version of SDDM
          2. Replace SDDM with another DM. lightDM was Kubuntu's previous DM and it's in the repos still. KDM is not.
          3. Write a short script to automatically re-launch SDDM after log in - not the best solution, but should do the trick. Then you need only wait for an update to fix your problem and then remove the script.

Please Read Me

Comment

I had to ppa-purge backports to get this fixed. Not really the right answer, but the only one I could figure out.
            5.5.3 just didn't hack it on the HP-desktop, 5.4.2 is ok.
            5.5.3 shows none of these issues on a Dell Inspirion laptop I have it on, strange.

Comment

There could be problems with certain X/GPU/sddm theme combinations: Bug 358171 - Breeze theme breaks sddm - login screen presented three times - https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=358171
              Try Me !

Comment

Working...
              X