This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to stream on local network. Dolphin vs Nemo

Hi everyone hope this is helpful and it also points out a weakness in Dolphin file manager.

Problem: When you open a network using Dolphin file manager, (in my case my laptop is on a network with my desktop computer) then you try to play a media file that is stored on the server end (eg. my desktop computer is the server and the laptop is the client), Dolphin has to copy the entire file across the network to the client computer before the file will be opened by your desired program. (in my case a video is copied from the desktop computer to my laptop and only when this is done will vlc play it) To say the least, this is very tedious as one of the advantages of networking is to stream media rather than copy or move files.

What should happen is that the remote file is streamed immediately by a program on your client computer. (I hope I'm explaining this right!)

I have seen a number of 'work arounds' for this but as is the case with work arounds they don't work on all systems.

Solution: Very Very Simple. Install and use Nemo file manager because it will stream all media files out of the box, no work arounds. I don't know why Dolphin will not stream files from a remote server but the problem seems to be in Dolphin and not the client programs as some suggests. Also Meno is quicker and easier when setting up the network and has better reporting in the side panel than Dolphin.

I hope this helps someone and that the Dolphin people will have a look at the streaming issue and be willing to learn from the Gnome people.

Cheers everyone

I doubt this comment will be helpful as you don't really include any information other than it doesn't work for you. @here: Using Dolphin and VLC streams video from my server just fine, no buffering, no copying of files prior to playing, etc. Therefore using your process, this problem doesn't exist. From what you've posted, it seems more logical that there's a "weakness" in your configuration somewhere.

Further, this isn't a KDE developer forum but if it was, suggesting "that the Dolphin people will have a look at the streaming issue and be willing to learn from the Gnome people." is a really condescending and insulting statement. The presumption that, because you're having one issue that you haven't been able to resolve, means that somehow Gnome/GTK developers are better or smarter than the KDE/QT developers is a leap of logic that spans light-years. This statement is mind-boggling to me.

Obviously, you have found a solution that works for you with a problem you're having so good for you. Go merrily about your way. But honestly, suggesting to the users of a KDE-centric distro on their forum that a "solution" to a problem you're having (I don't see a lot of posts here complaining about this issue other than this one) is to install a file manager from another desktop - Gnome (which many of us hate with a passion) or any other - and it's toolkit and all the cruft it would bring with it isn't a solution at all, it's the opposite of a solution.

I realize you have not asked for help with your problem so I understand why you've not included any real information about it or even what you've tried to do to troubleshoot it. If you're actually looking to be helpful, this type of post isn't it. Helpful posts involve detailed information about the issue, the components in play (software or otherwise), information on your troubleshooting efforts and their results, attempted solutions and their failures, etc. and then asking questions or for help continuing the process. In this way real problems are correctly identified, investigated, and hopefully solved. Following up this process with a bug report to the developers, when an actual bug has been discovered or suspected, is even more helpful.

Condescension, assumptions that problems on your system are somehow universal, directing KDE users and lovers to switch to another desktop's programs? : All not helpful.

Please Read Me

Comment

would this allso not depend on just what type of network connection he made to begin with ,,,,,, SMB, SSH, NFS, ?

he/she never even said this as well .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
        would this allso not depend on just what type of network connection he made to begin with ,,,,,, SMB, SSH, NFS, ?

he/she never even said this as well .

VINNY
        Exactly. VLC has often had streaming issues with samba but from the OP we can't begin to try and help. Oh well, like I said - asking for help wasn't the purpose of this post anyway apparently.

Please Read Me

Comment

Glad to see I'm not the only one smelling something stinky here. Antenna went up upon reading the title,
          How to stream on local network. Dolphin vs Nemo . "How to"? Do what ? !

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Hi guys, very very sorry for the apparent 'attitude' that came across in my post. I think it was caused by exuberance more than anything else. Let me explain. A week ago I reinstalled Kubuntu after being on Mint for a long time. Everything went really well until I tried to play media files across the network and I found I couldn't do it. I tried for 2 days various methods that I read about in some other forums with out much luck, (I just google for answers) I did manage to get VLC to partly work but I wanted to use banshee or audacity and they just wouldn't work. Then I had my brain wave! why not try to use Nemo on Kubuntu. I had no idea if you could even use Nemo on Kubuntu so I just gave it a go and bingo it worked. I could use the media play I chose and streaming was perfect.

Immediately in great excitement that I had actually found a solution I jumped on line and posted above. Again sorry if it came across as a setup.

My level of ability in computing is very low, if I can't do it with a program I usually fall in a heap, for example I didn't know there was a difference between KDE and Kubuntu until these replies came in, I try cutting and pasting to use the terminal every now and then but I haven't a clue what I'm doing. That's why I stuck with Mint for a long time it's great for beginners. As for stuff like SMB SSH etc, I just give up. In Mint you use Gigolo to make the network and it does nearly everything for you.

As for bug reports I have tried and tried to work that out but I just can't follow the process, sorry but it's beyond me. Anyway, sorry for the lack of tech info.

I've been on Kubuntu for 2 weeks now and it going really well, I love the cube and KDE-connect. (I thought that stood for Kubuntu-connect, does it?)

Thanks everyone hope to do a better post next .

Comment

Working...
            X