This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I clone the display?

Monitor (DVI-0) and TV (DVI-1), both 1920x1080. Putting the TV on top of the Monitor, Tap Unify Outputs and TAP Apply. Log out and in again. The desktop icons are now gone, only the panel widgets shown. Same on Monitor and TV.

The install was virgin, and the video card is ATI Radeon 4750, but have not installed fglrx. Hlp pls!

Really weird! After logging in, a program started from the panel moves off to the right and cannot be seen (turns out it appears on the TV screen, but I have set the Monitor as the primary output - and Unify Outputs does not work). The work around is to cancel this program, and start some other program from the desktop (there is a slight upwards movement), and then it is possible to start the program from the panel and view it normally.

Comment

Whats the output of:

xrandr -q

Please Read Me

Comment

i don't think you need to unify only drag them on top on one another. although im not at my computer atm so i can' check that
        Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
        (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Will be back on Wednesday evening re output. Have tried just putting on top - same problem.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Comment

I was using Unify Outputs because the kcm module is really finicky about dragging. I can position one display on top of the other (both at 0,0), but Applying makes one of them move slightly. I don't remember having this problem pre-Plasma 5.

If I set both displays on and Unify Outputs, then reboot, the laptop display is shut off as kde is starting up.

For now I'm just using two scripts, created with the help of arandr, to manually set both displays on or turn off the laptop display.

Comment

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 6112 x 1152, maximum 8192 x 8192
              DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
              HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
              DVI-0 connected primary 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 476mm x 268mm
              1920x1080 60.0*+
              1680x1050 60.0
              1280x1024 75.0 70.0 60.0
              1440x900 75.0 59.9
              1152x864 75.0
              1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
              832x624 74.6
              800x600 75.0 60.3 56.2
              640x480 75.0 72.8 60.0
              DVI-1 connected 1920x1080+4192+72 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 1018mm x 573mm
              1920x1080 59.9*+
              1280x1024 75.0 60.0
              1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
              800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
              640x480 75.0 72.8 60.0
              720x400 70.1
              DVI-0 is the monitor using the VGA port of the video card and DVI-1 is the TV using the DVI-I port with a DVI-VGA-adapter and the HDMI port is not used at all.

Comment

What is the result of this command:

randr --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1080 --output DVI-1 --mode 1920x1080 --same-as DVI-0

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks oshunluvr think you mean xrandr - the above command wint xrandr does the same as putting one on top of the other or tapping unify screens - which is fine until I log out and in again: the desktop shortuts are not there anymore. Where is this configuration supposed to be saved?

Comment

yes on the Xrandr - clipped on the copy-and-paste, lol.

A cli command like xrandr command is not saved, which is why it's a good way to test. If it works until you log out, I would suspect some settings issues elsewhere. Try creating a new user and logging in there and trying the overlay.

Please Read Me

Comment

Created new user and logged in. Tried overlay, ok till I logged out and in again as the new user

Comment

Where are the display settings saved??

Comment

Originally posted by hallergard View Post
                          Where are the display settings saved??
                          In ~/.local/share/kscreen.

Comment

Thanks! Edited so that both the Monitor and the TV has the same x=0 and y=0. Upon boot the display were unified, but no icons on the desktop. Maybe I am asking the wroing question??

It seems as when in Unified mode the desktop will not show the icons in the folder /home/myself/Desktop - is there a way to enable this?

Comment

Yes, the "thing" in the top left corner - changed wallpaper to folder - and after saving there were more settings to chose the wanted folder /home/myself/Desktop. And now it appears on both monitors. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X