This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LAN setup, Samba?

Hi everyone, I want to set up personal file sharing between my desktop computer and my laptop via a LAN. (both use 15.04) I tried to set it up using samba but after installing couldn't get samba to open. Also when I right click on folders in dolphin there is no "share" option in the drop down dialogue box. I set up samba on another distro as a personal test and it worked fine but 15.04 is a bit of a mystery. I have a feeling I'm going about this the wrong way. If anyone can offer some suggestions that would be very much appreciated.

since both machines are *nix machines you should look in to using NFS https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

thanks for that link I'll certainly give it a try, I had a quick look and it seems a very good tutorial, I'd still like to find out why samba wont work as my wife runs Windows and I'd eventually like to connect to that as well. Any help anyone? Does samba work at all with Kubuntu 15.04?

thanks sithlord.

Comment

I can only testify to the samba client working, it sees the NAS integrated with the modem at home.

Comment

samba should be working correctly. try using smb://<IP> or smb://<hostname> for the address of your server.. i have never had much luck with the network browse method to find samba shares.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

I have the same problem with 15.04. While the share option is available on all folders and working, the share folders never show up in my windows network. I got it working with Plasma 5.2 but it's gone with the 5.3 upgrade. I have a dual boot with Linux Mint and it is not a problem there. Anyone familiar with this ?

Comment

I use samba on my 12.04 server and I can connect to it using various version of Kubuntu and Windows and Mac. It's likely your config. You need a samba user and password for every person or enable guest access. What's in your smb.conf ? My shared folder looks like this:

Code:
              [Media]
                 comment = Media
                 path = /media/shared
                 browsable = yes
                 guest ok = yes
                 read only = no

I also have security set as "share"

Code:
              security=share

Please Read Me

Comment

That's the strange thing about this version, it does not seems to use smb.conf. I use the folder share tab to set it up and it appear on my network (plasma 5.2). I had to sort out the user account but there was no entry made in the smb.conf.

Comment

Working...
                X