This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LinkBot View Post
    Bug #1422469: Dolphin won't keep the folder shortcuts on Kubuntu 15.04 with Plasma 5 - https://bugs.launchpad.net/hundredpa...s/+bug/1422469

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/vi...ay/008511.html
    That's half the bug. And two weeks ago. It's not trickled down anywhere I'll see it yet though.

Thanks.
    --
    Intocabile

Comment

Having to log into the kwallet after logging into the OS is annoying as well.

Bug #1451865: Kwallet is no longer automatically unlocked on login - https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1451865
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Places in Dolphin are working fine for me.
        Linux because it works. No social or political motives in my decision to use it.
        Always consider Occam's Razor
        Rich

Comment

Lots of varied experiences with 15.04. I'm very happy with my 14.04, no intent to switch yet. But I did have an experience with 15.04. Doing some experiments, re-booting many, many times between HDDs and Kubuntu 14.04 and 15.04, doing the same tasks in each, lots of file management and accessing drives and partitions, and for sure, something is a bit amiss about 15.04. I didn't document this as I am focused on another issue (UEFI booting), but the side-by-side comparison booting quickly between the 14.04 and 15.04 was noticeable. Not so smooth in 15.04, strange line-drawn icons in LibreOffice Writer, unpredictable device notifier, problems mounting & unmounting from it, Kate (right-click Open With Kate in Dolphin) would not open from either a user prompt or from a root prompt (I ended up opening text in LibreOffice Writer), Dolphin rather flaky in several ways I can't recall at the moment--just not all there, fighting me, unpredictable behavior accessing devices and files. Personally, I didn't find the look-and-feel to be right or comfortable or appealing, but I'm not too hung up on all this business of themes and such anyway, I just "felt" better in 14.04 versus 15.04. I'm pooped at the moment, that's all I can easily recall, been doing booting experiments for several days. I know it will all be fixed and will evolve into a great OS and the devs have worked hard on it and are working hard on it. They sure as h*ll produced a great 14.04!
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I've looked at 15.04 in a VirtualBox VM and didn't see any compelling reasons to switch to KDE5. I'll wait until 16.04 and give it another try then.

Comment

Originally posted by richb View Post
              Odd because for me, additions to Places do not save (still), however IMO describing Dolphin as "barely works at all" is a gross over-statement.

Please Read Me

Comment

Without package version numbers...

oshunluvr

Originally Posted by richb

Odd because for me, additions to Places do not save ...

There are available (2015-05-25):

- kde4libs (4:4.14.6-4~ubuntu3) Ubuntu repository version.
                - kde4libs (4:4.14.6-4~ubuntu3.1) Ubuntu proposed.
                - kde4libs (4:4.14.7-4~ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1) Kubuntu backports ppa.

Only the kde4libs (4:4.14.6-4~ubuntu3.1) Ubuntu proposed has the upstream_Remove-bookmarks-syncing-from-KFilePlacesModel-and-u.patch.

Last edited by Wheel Inventor; May 25, 2015, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                  Odd because for me, additions to Places do not save (still), however IMO describing Dolphin as "barely works at all" is a gross over-statement.
                  Sure, I exaggerate. In my defence it was crashing every time I tried to do anything with Places, and I had more than a window full of duplicated sets of the basic four. Meaning I could see without scrolling the drives I have to manually mount on every startup.

Places still won't add samba shares, but trying to add one still causes the other places (Home, Network, Root, Wastebin) to duplicate a new set. Deleting two of the three sets still leaves me with two sets.

Code:
                  spadge@Jupiter:~$ sudo dpkg -l kdelibs* | grep ^ii
                  ii  kdelibs-bin      4:4.14.7-4~ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1 amd64        core executables for KDE Applications
                  ii  kdelibs5-data    4:4.14.7-4~ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1 all          core shared data for all KDE Applications
                  ii  kdelibs5-plugins 4:4.14.7-4~ubuntu1~ubuntu15.04~ppa1 amd64        core plugins for KDE Applications
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

Well, I get that (exaggerating when ticked off, lol ) - no need to defend yourself. I haven't tried what you've done there - I rarely use samba for file transfers, and I haven't had any crashes, but I'll try it out to see if I get the same results.

Thanks for the tip, Wheel. I'll look into my version. I do have backports enabled so you've nailed the cause here - same versions as Spadge. Odd that the newer version doesn't have the fix. I did see the upcoming October (w?? w??) release has the patch. They probably did that just to tick me off.

Please Read Me

Comment

I must say that I agree that Vivid is not ready for replacing your previous preferred version that was working fine. I just have it installed on a USB stick to keep tabs on progress.

Regarding Dolphin, I seldom added folders to "Places". I have found that the only way I could get a folder into "Places" was to right mouse click on the folder and select the option to "Add to Places". I was not able to move the folders listed in "Places" so that they were alphabetical. I tried to do this because all folders that I added were placed at the bottom of the list. During the process of adding a folder to "Places", the notifications applet showed that it was copying and the desktop was unusable until this process was finished. I have found that this is a common feature of notifications.

I must say that Dolphin has one feature that I really like. It now will play media files in the right panel that on Utopic only displays image files.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                        I was not able to move the folders listed in "Places" so that they were alphabetical.
                        I've always found that I could move items in Places just by dragging them up or down the list with the mouse. This was true through 14.04 at least; I haven't used 15.04 enough to know if that still works.

I can drag folders from the main window to Places as well and drop them wherever I want in the list.

Comment

Originally posted by SeijiSensei View Post
                          I've always found that I could move items in Places just by dragging them up or down the list with the mouse. This was true through 14.04 at least; I haven't used 15.04 enough to know if that still works.

I can drag folders from the main window to Places as well and drop them wherever I want in the list.
                          You will find that Vivid involves a complete rework of the KDE desktop and there are many changes involved. I found that when I rebooted, the folders that I had added to "Places" were no longer there!!!

I can add and move folders in Utopic's "Places" without any trouble, but it is a different matter with Vivid which has Plasma 5.3.0. Wily which has Plasma 5.2.2 works with "Places" and it is yet to reach Alpha 1! So I am hoping that when Plasma 5.3.1 comes, this problem will be resolved in Vivid.

Comment

And of course, my Places are moveable, addable, and remain through reboots, with 5.3 from Kubuntu-backports ppa, on my laptop.

Course it does not work on my upgraded-since-at-least-raring PC, with the same kde/plasma.frameworks

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              And of course, my Places are moveable, addable, and remain through reboots, with 5.3 from Kubuntu-backports ppa, on my laptop.
                              Does this laptop have Utopic with 5.3 installed or does it have Vivid?

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Course it does not work on my upgraded-since-at-least-raring PC, with the same kde/plasma.frameworks
                              I assume that this one has Vivid installed, or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

My experiences are the same as:
                              Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                              Odd because for me, additions to Places do not save (still),...
                              I now find that Vivid's Dolphin allows additions to "Places" but when I restart Dolphin they are all gone.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                                Does this laptop have Utopic with 5.3 installed or does it have Vivid?

I assume that this one has Vivid installed, or am I jumping to the wrong conclusion?

My experiences are the same as:I now find that Vivid's Dolphin allows additions to "Places" but when I restart Dolphin they are all gone.
                                Both are vivid machines, of course (the only way to run the current versions of plasma 5, frameworks, and applications)

I suspect it's an upgrade issue, as this is where I have the bug. My 2 clean installs are fine. The upgrade box has the bookmark files in two places. Haven't tried looking into that yet.

Sent from my cheap-assed Intel Atom iview i700 tablet

Comment

Working...
                                X