X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop doesn't suspend after closing the lid

Hello everybody.
    I recently installed Kubuntu 15.04 64bit on my laptop, precisely an Asus UX32VD (it has got 2 graphic cards, Nvidia geforce 620m and Intel).
    Everythings works fine as it was with Kubuntu 14.10, but I have a great issue, that is when I close the lid nothing happens. As I set from the kde power manager when I close the lid my laptop should be suspended but this doesn't happen, so the laptop screen remains on.
    I searched for a long a solution on internet, but nothing allowed me to solve the problem, so I was forced to open this thread. For example I try to:
    1. install nvidia restricted driver using ppa: xorg-edgers (preciselly nvidia-352 version);
    2. install pm-utils and laptop-mode-tools
    I link my xorg configuration if it returns useful
    Code:
    Section "ServerLayout"
        Identifier "layout"
        Screen 0 "nvidia"
        Inactive "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "intel"
        Driver "intel"
        BusID "PCI:0@0:2:0"
        Option "AccelMethod" "SNA"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "intel"
        Device "intel"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver "nvidia"
        BusID "PCI:1@0:0:0"
        Option "ConstrainCursor" "off"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Device "nvidia"
        Option "AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration" "on"
        Option "IgnoreDisplayDevices" "CRT"
    EndSection
    This screenshots show the energy saving configurations:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/jg3xu485yt...power.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/35wraqtmic...power.png?dl=0
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/7tbiykl1jd...abled.png?dl=0
    I hope some of you can help me please, also because I'm scared to leave my laptop in bag while it is turned on again.
    Thank you in advance.

Please try a more up-to-date kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/. Many power improvements were added to 4.1.

The newest one is v4.1-unstable. Don't let the "unstable" worry you -- this only means that it's compiled directly from the source tree with minimal Ubuntu-specific modifications. Assuming you have a 64-bit OS, the files you'll need are:

linux-headers-4.1.0-040100-generic_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_amd64.deb
    linux-headers-4.1.0-040100_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_all.deb
    linux-image-4.1.0-040100-generic_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_amd64.deb

Don't use the lowlatency builds; these are for specific purposes.

After you download the files, open a console window, navigate to the subdirectory storing your downloads, and run:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -i linux*4.1.0*
    Power cycle the computer. When GRUB comes up, choose the 4.1 kernel. Let the system boot. Now try to suspend it. Does this work?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
      Please try a more up-to-date kernel from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/. Many power improvements were added to 4.1.

The newest one is v4.1-unstable. Don't let the "unstable" worry you -- this only means that it's compiled directly from the source tree with minimal Ubuntu-specific modifications. Assuming you have a 64-bit OS, the files you'll need are:

linux-headers-4.1.0-040100-generic_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_amd64.deb
      linux-headers-4.1.0-040100_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_all.deb
      linux-image-4.1.0-040100-generic_4.1.0-040100.201506220235_amd64.deb

Don't use the lowlatency builds; these are for specific purposes.

After you download the files, open a console window, navigate to the subdirectory storing your downloads, and run:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg -i linux*4.1.0*
      Power cycle the computer. When GRUB comes up, choose the 4.1 kernel. Let the system boot. Now try to suspend it. Does this work?
      Thank you very much for the help.
      I try your instructions but the issue continue. In fact if I manually suspend the PC manually (K -> Leave > Sleep), it works. But if I want to close the lid of notebook, it should not be suspended.
      I also set off the PC when closing the lid, but also in this case nothing happens. The Pc and the screen continue to remain switched on.
      In this screenshot you can see that the linux kernel 4.1 is correctly installed.
      https://www.dropbox.com/s/y60cqwscp2...lled.jpeg?dl=0

Comment

Originally posted by tuxdj View Post
        As I set from the kde power manager when I close the lid my laptop should be suspended but this doesn't happen, so the laptop screen remains on.
        How are you able to determine that?
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          How are you able to determine that?
          It's the rule setted in the kde energy saving application (I posted some screenshots in the first message of this thread), and I know that the screen remains on because:
          - I see it with my own eyes that the screen remains lit;
          - the power/cpu leds remain on.
          - the fans don't stop to work but remain on.

Comment

Is your laptop in a dock? Is your laptop connected to an external monitor, with or without a dock? If so, systemd prohibits suspend on lid close by default.

There's also a known problem with the NVIDIA binary driver when used in systems with multiple graphics adapters. You have multiple adapters: Intel and NVIDIA. systemd cannot reliably detect the number of displays, because the drivers report attached monitors even if there aren't any. Therefore it refuses to suspend on lid close. See Freedesktop.org bug 76267.

However: a workaround was added to systemd version 217. Open a console window and run:
            Code:
            sudo nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf
            Find this line:
            Code:
            #HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
            Remove the # and change the value thusly:
            Code:
            HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend
            Now press Ctrl+X and answer Y to save the file and exit the editor. Reboot your system. Does this fix the issue?

Comment

Is your laptop in a dock? Is your laptop connected to an external monitor, with or without a dock? If so, systemd prohibits suspend on lid close by default.

There's also a known problem with the NVIDIA binary driver when used in systems with multiple graphics adapters. You have multiple adapters: Intel and NVIDIA. systemd cannot reliably detect the number of displays, because the drivers report attached monitors even if there aren't any. Therefore it refuses to suspend on lid close. See Freedesktop.org bug 76267.

However: a workaround was added to systemd version 217. Open a console window and run:
              Code:
              sudo nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf
              Find this line:
              Code:
              #HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
              Remove the # and change the value thusly:
              Code:
              HandleLidSwitchDocked=suspend
              Now press Ctrl+X and answer Y to save the file and exit the editor. Reboot your system. Does this fix the issue?
              No, I don't use dock or an external monitor.
              I still tried your instructions but nothing has changed. As I said previously, in my opinon It seems that the closing lid is not recognized by the OS, in fact If I try to set an other action (for example shutdown when I close the lid) nothing changes.
              What do you think?
              P.S.: Thank all of you for the support you are giving me

Comment

Close your lid. Then lift it. Open a console window and run:
                Code:
                sudo journalctl -b -u systemd-logind
                When I do this, I see these entries:
                Code:
                Jun 25 11:59:33 x250 systemd-logind[666]: Lid closed.
                Jun 25 11:59:35 x250 systemd-logind[666]: Lid opened.
                Do you? Look for the current date/time when you operated the lid.

Comment

I found the solution!!!!!!!! Very good!!!

Close your lid. Then lift it. Open a console window and run:
                  Code:
                  sudo journalctl -b -u systemd-logind
                  When I do this, I see these entries:
                  Code:
                  Jun 25 11:59:33 x250 systemd-logind[666]: Lid closed.
                  Jun 25 11:59:35 x250 systemd-logind[666]: Lid opened.
                  Do you? Look for the current date/time when you operated the lid.
                  Hello everyone, excuse me for the delay. But finally I solve this damn issue. I tested the problem on Windows 8.1, and I noticed that happen the same thing as Kubuntu.
                  So I thought that the cause was hardware and not software (kubuntu or windows). I tried to understand what sensor would manage the closing of the lid. This sensor is located near the hinge of the screen.
                  I tried to suspend the pc by using a little magnet, moving within touching distance the laptop was suspended. In practice, the switch of the lid is was demagnetized.

The solution? I took a great woofer audio, I supported it for a moment above the body of the laptop and the switch is magnetized. Now everything is back to work !!!
                  Sorry if I doubted of our beloved Linux, but everything seemed to have shown after formatting Linux.
                  Despite everything, I thank you for help that you gave me. I hope it can help someone.
                  Last edited by tuxdj; Jun 26, 2015, 11:51 AM.

Comment

SMFH. You know, it never occurred to me to think this might be a hardware problem -- the equivalent of "Is it plugged in?" Good job finding the cause!

Comment

SMFH. You know, it never occurred to me to think this might be a hardware problem -- the equivalent of "Is it plugged in?" Good job finding the cause!
                      My friend, look how I solved the problem!!! lol
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150626_171008.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	642924
                      And now, look at this video, the operation is very strange

But now I would like to solve an other issue. The Energy Saving isn't able to manage the keyboard backlight.
                      We precise that manual adjustment works well (through shortcuts fn + f3, fn + f4). How could I solve?
                      While the the brightness adjusting of the screen is properly managed by the Energy Saving.
                      How can solve it?

Comment

Outstanding deduction and testing/verification. Very clever!

Comment

Outstanding deduction and testing/verification. Very clever!
                          After seeing that it was a hardware issue I was already considering buying a new notebook lol
                          Could you help me regarding the backlight keyboard? Please

Inviato dal mio A0001 utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

I moved your post concerning that issue to a new thread. Start monitoring/replying to https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nagement-issue

Comment

I moved your post concerning that issue to a new thread. Start monitoring/replying to https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...nagement-issue
                              ok, thanks for opening a new discussion

Comment

Working...
                              X