Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's the way Ubuntu runs it's distro's, for full reliability you stick to the LTS, for cutting edge you go with an intermediate release.
    Personally I find hte LTS releases to after say two years get a bit long in the tooth but they do get the necessary security updates and by adding a few PPA's you can keep certain parts like the kernel fairly up to date.

Comment

While I understand and share the frustration Tom is expressing, I'm not ready to dump the distro over it. I'm using 15.04 daily - along with it's issues. Not only does the Dropbox icon (dropbox still works flawlessly) not appear, hp-systray and synergy both fail at log in with a "no system tray found" error and bluetooth wouldn't launch initially. I decided to make scripts to launch all those after I log in and the systray is available. Since I rarely reboot (maybe weekly since this is a new release), it's not that egregious.

Obviously, something changed in the way systray is started and the maintainers of those programs haven't updated yet. Personally, if I was relying on my Kubuntu machine for my income, I wouldn't ever install anything but LTS releases, just like I do on my server.

Please Read Me

Comment

call me late ,,,,,but I just discovered that dropbox will follow system links ,,,,,,,which is nice since I keep my files on a different drive from the system.
        so whatever I want to put in "Dropbox" I can just drag and drop and link hear. .....without using /space .

PS no icon sowing in the system tray @hear as well ,,,,,,,, but bluetooth has no problem with the system tray ,,,,, I did add the extra libappindicator packages as in this http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...systray-icons/

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

The Dropbox icon magically showed up in my Kubuntu 15.04 install yesterday. Still no icon in Arch. I don't use the icon enough to put any effort into looking at package differences between the distros.

Comment

Likely solution:

Let me ask a question - why am I using Kubuntu? Answer: 'Cause before I jumped to Linux some years ago I read somewhere that L. Torvalds had declared it his favorite - or maybe his favorite were he to jump to Ubuntu. I've liked the experience I've had. BUT...it's become almost impossible to run on my HP-110 netbook. And my Dell Inspiron keeps getting slower and slower.

I just installed Lubuntu on my netbook - yesterday. It's lean, fast, and gorgeously minimal. It appears that everything I need has already been figured out. Sure, I do more command line stuff, but...follow..the..directions and it's fine.

Oh and I HAVE A DROPBOX ICON in the system tray.

I'm seriously considering loading Lubuntu onto my desktop and just leaving Kubuntu. Too much fancy. Stuff I don't use and never will. Trying to compete with other folks. I just want a computer to get my work done. Lubuntu runs absolutely all my application programs. (I don't do games. Life is my game.)

If things go as well with Lubuntu as they have this past 24 hours, odds are quite good that I'll be going with it on every box I have. It's a no-losses, all-gains situation for me. It somehow reminds me of Windows XP, only everything just works and makes sense.

Any thoughts from folks?
            Last edited by tomcloyd; Jul 21, 2015, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Changing your DE to get back the Dropbox icon is certainly your choice. LXDE is fine but not the fancy pretty interface that Plasma 5 is.

So you asked for thoughts, here's mine:

If you don't need or want the fancy Plasma 5, why did you upgrade to 15.04 in the first place? Why not just stay with more the stable 14.04 LTS? With 14.04 you had a solid Plasma platform and the Dropbox icon.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Changing your DE to get back the Dropbox icon is certainly your choice. LXDE is fine but not the fancy pretty interface that Plasma 5 is.

So you asked for thoughts, here's mine:

If you don't need or want the fancy Plasma 5, why did you upgrade to 15.04 in the first place? Why not just stay with more the stable 14.04 LTS? With 14.04 you had a solid Plasma platform and the Dropbox icon.
                Right - the upgrade to 15.04 was not a good idea. I did it because I always do it because I'm curious about the "new". But increasingly I've come to realize that I actually live in the applications programs, not the OS. 98% of the time I'm in Firefox, Libreoffice Calc, or jEdit. Seriously. With all the glitter of Kubuntu they run slower. With that out of the way, they all work better. OS? What OS? It's not where I live.

Having the netbook become a brick because of 15.04 (which I like, by the way), made me rethink things. An interesting experience, all in all, and I'm glad for it.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

As Dropbox, Viber, and (iirc) skype use qt, I sort of wondered if it simply wasn't much more than the fact that these may be using embedded qt bits over the system supplied ones.
                  I dunno. I do see that for Viber, arch's aur packaging indicates that they solved the missing tray icon by including more of the qt libraries in the location of the binary executable.

Dropbox's Release Candidates work just dandy

And, for some reason, the Skype package as installed from the Canonical Partners archive (not downloaded from Skype) sure works just fine. I am guessing that the Skype-provided deb is simply missing a dependency that the one made with help from Canonical provides.

Dropbox(release candidate) and skype(via the partner repo using muon) on 15.04:

Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot24.png
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	642966

Comment

Claydoh - well that's very interesting. And good news. I DO like the interface design of 15.04 - a lot.

I'm also finding running Lubuntu 15.04 on my netbook to be a refreshing experience. It appears to be rock solid, and much faster. It's also making me think a lot about what it costs us to have all the eye-candy and fancy stuff that KB offers. Still thinking....

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      As Dropbox, Viber, and (iirc) skype use qt, I sort of wondered if it simply wasn't much more than the fact that these may be using embedded qt bits over the system supplied ones.
                      I dunno. I do see that for Viber, arch's aur packaging indicates that they solved the missing tray icon by including more of the qt libraries in the location of the binary executable.

Dropbox's Release Candidates work just dandy

And, for some reason, the Skype package as installed from the Canonical Partners archive (not downloaded from Skype) sure works just fine. I am guessing that the Skype-provided deb is simply missing a dependency that the one made with help from Canonical provides.

Dropbox(release candidate) and skype(via the partner repo using muon) on 15.04:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6204[/ATTACH]
                      Not working here. I've updated to 3.9.3 still no systray icon.

Please Read Me

Comment

I am using 3.7.43, will grab a newer version. I don't normally use dropbox other than from the web interface as I don't use it to sync. A browser tool I use for work logs my activity and saves it to dropbox.

Ok, wiped out all my dropbox files and configs, the icon is still working?? I am using the kubuntu-backports ppa, if that matters.
                        https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-u...4fc7b66db5a1f9

Note I did NOT have to perform the steps that the Fedora guy used to get this - basically he is wiping out the localized qt libraries and making it look for and use his system's libraries.

Also note that though past release notes mention fixing plasma 5's tray icon, it was pointed out that KDE is not an officially supported linux desktop, lol

Comment

Yeah, I tried with and without the Fedora guy's edits and I'm using the backports also - no change here. I saw the "Not officially supported..." comment too, lol.

I do see the dropbox icons in "wmsystemtray" widget along with the chrome, hangouts, and solaar icons which all do not appear in systray.

Currently I am trying to get dropbox to work as a systemd service, hoping it would be different - it's not. I did get it working as a system service but now I'm trying a user service, which isn't working at all(yet).

I created a new user so next I may log in as a different user and see if that changes anything.

Please Read Me

Comment

I do not know if it matters or not, but I am running dropbox by simply double-clicking the dropbox executable in ~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-$VERSION, and not starting the daemon itself.

Comment

Interesting. If I do that, I don't even get the icon in wmsystemtray, so it definitely does something different. BTW, for folks (Like Tomcloyd) who really need to see the dropbox icons, here's a work around:

Install wmsystemtray and launch it with

wmsystemtray --non-wmaker --bgcolor gray

Pick a different color if you like or none at all if you like. You can then set windows rules and position it to a suitable place (the default location is upper left). I set mine to these by creating a file like this and then loading it as windows rules:

Code:
                              [Application settings for wmsystemtray] 
                              Description=Application settings for wmsystemtray 
                              desktop=-1 
                              desktoprule=2 
                              noborder=true 
                              noborderrule=2 
                              skippager=true 
                              skippagerrule=2 
                              skipswitcher=true 
                              skipswitcherrule=2 
                              skiptaskbar=true 
                              skiptaskbarrule=2 
                              type=2 
                              typerule=2 
                              wmclass=wmsystemtray0 wmsystemtray 
                              wmclasscomplete=true 
                              wmclassmatch=1
                              This came from http://blog.martin-graesslin.com/blo...systray-icons/

Please Read Me

Comment

I need to figure out why it is working for me, or rather what library I have that is making it work, lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X