This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No browser audio at all

This is an odd problem and I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting or what to report a bug on. Please note that all hardware works perfectly in 14.04:

15.05 installed to bare metal, audio entry correct in alsa-base, correct (all) sound output(s) selected in System Settings, Amarok and System Notifcations work, any audio sourced from a browser thus far does not work. I have tried Firefox and Chromium. Youtube no sound - html5 audio test no sound.

Basically, I set it up just like I did in 14.04. Nothing is muted. I have two audio cards, a built-in Intel ICH9 motherboard audio (driver is snd-hda-intel) and my video card (nVidia GTX 780). My built-in audio card has two outputs, analog and digital. I use the digital output. I have no speakers connected to either the HDMI audio from the video card nor the Analog audio from the mobo. I have selected Digital Output selected in all Device Preference categories.

Here's the oddities I've noticed:

1: "Test" button in System Settings produces sound but the Left-Right channel tests do not,
    2: Kmix shows slider bars for the two unused (HDMI and Analog) channels but not for the Digital channel (this might be normal?)
    3: Each web page playing audio appears in Kmix with it's own slider, I believe this is correct, but still no sound to the speakers.
    4. There is also a slider bar in Kmix for "polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1: pulsesink probe" which seems odd to me.

Any ideas?

Please Read Me

Have you tried the veromix widget?

Comment

Originally posted by whatthefunk View Post
      I hadn't but I just did. No difference.

I also tried killing "polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1: pulsesink probe" and no difference then either.

Please Read Me

Comment

Newest trial: aplay doesn't produce audio either. aplay list all the devices properly and so does pluseaudio. Neither of those indicates anything is muted and I also ran alsamixer to be sure.

A new oddity:

5: When logging out and back in, the audio devices revert to Analog Audio. However, this may be because at this point logging out appears not to work. I get a black screen with the mouse cursor so I have to go to a TTY and restart sddm. This might be the cause of this one. On the other hand, I do hit the APPLY button so maybe not.

Please Read Me

Comment

I might have it figured out: I added myself to the audio group just to be sure that wasn't the problem (also video and www-data).

I now get audio from the browsers and aplay.

Please Read Me

Comment

I didn't realize veromix was now available in 15.04. Does it play nice in the system tray, or do you have it as a separate widget in a panel?

Comment

Originally posted by ronw View Post
              I didn't realize veromix was now available in 15.04. Does it play nice in the system tray, or do you have it as a separate widget in a panel?
              I dont know. I use 14.10.

Comment

I dont know. I use 14.10.
                Ah, I assumed 15.04 because of the forum.

Comment

Plasma 5 and python applets

The GHNS will show all available things - some of them could be installed - they may or may not work.

GHNS: http://ghns.freedesktop.org
                  KDE GHNS: http://newstuff.kde.org

KDE Forums - Will Plasma5 support Python applets? : https://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=289&t=124308

plasma-scriptengines from Ubuntu repositories: http://packages.ubuntu.com/search?ke...ll&section=all
                  Last edited by Wheel Inventor; Mar 02, 2015, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I'm using 15.04: I didn't install the widget - I installed veromix.

It did nothing that I needed so I removed it already.

Please Read Me

Comment

Problem came back so the group thing didn't help. Back to square 1.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok weird, browser audio came back again. I noticed the "polkit-kde-authentication-agent-1: pulsesink probe" came back again but before I could kill it, it apparently died on it's own. I reloaded the CNN page and audio restarted from the browser.

Please Read Me

Comment

A timing issue? Perhaps PolicyKit needs to plumb something and it's taking too long -- something else might be hanging or whatever.

I hope Veromix gets ported. Shame if we have to give it up -- KMix just doesn't have the same fine-grained control over PulseAudio.

Comment

Working...
                          X