This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plasma 4 Desktop Folder View is Virtually Small

This is so hard to describe, so please forgive me. When my desktop is in folder view, it's virtually small, yet "appears" normal.

I made a quick video showing what I am experiencing. Ideas? It seems like reboots can temporarily fix it, but it keeps coming back on it's own. Only programs I ever run when this happens is Chrome or Thunderbird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvwF2N1KFA4

This is 14.10 with Plasma 4. System was clean installed just a week and a half ago, and only Chrome, Thunderbird, Xchat, DosBox, and CHRIP were installed. Other than that, I'm not sure what's causing this.

EDIT: It seems that toggling from Folder View to Desktop View, makes it work again normally. But like rebooting, I'm not sure how long it's going to last. The only thing I can think that "may" be causing this, is running DosBox in full screen?

Update: I tried and tried, it's not DOSBox. I really don't know what is causing my folder view to be so shrunk like this.

Comment

It sounds to me like you might be confusing the different desktops and how they work.

Folder desktop is like the old default (XP) way of looking at your desktop. Your file or program icons reside on the desktop - which fills the whole screen. In the new Default Desktop - widgets reside on the desktop and regular icons don't. It starts you with a Folder View widget which I believe sets the default location at the desktop folder.

From your video, it looks to me like you're trying to drag an icon outside the folder view widget and drop outside the widget area and your Folder View widget is transparent. They re-arranged the names awhile back and Default Desktop is now widget based and has a folder view widget on it while the Folder desktop makes the icons of an entire folder (you choose which) the desktop.

Try this - While in Default Desktop; Unlock widgets (click on the cashew in the corner or right-click outside the folder widget area), then hover over the folder view widget. You should see a side-bar appear with 4 symbols on it (resize, refresh, settings, move) and an X to close the widget. Click the wrench (settings) and an Folder Settings dialog should open up.

If you don't like the "Default Desktop" view style (the one with the folder widget, set your desktop to "Folder"and the entire desktop will be a folder of your choice.

Personally, I would have kept the more descriptive names for the all the desktop styles. "Default" is a meaningless name.

Please Read Me

Comment

My desktop IS set to be like a folder. Its not set as default. That's the problem. Hence I said in the title, FOLDER VIEW.

Comment

Definetly not confusing the desktops. You'll see no widget border where I'm dragging the icons. Because its not in default view. Definetly folder view. But folder view is acting like my resolution is half the height.

Also, now when waking my laptop, I found that my desktop was blank, and had to save a file to it just to get icons to appear. I've used KDE since 1. Not sure why there's so many issues like this. I never had this back in even KDE 3.
          Last edited by lnx64; Jan 14, 2015, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X