Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am in 12.04 now, after taking all updates, all is well. I could access my 14.04 /home and get some log files, but which?
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Another way at this ...

What settings in one's /home partition could affect one's ability to log-in (at the Kubuntu log-in screen, as described above)?
      and
      If those settings are damaged, is there a way to fix them?

Or,

Is there a command-fix one could apply to /home files/directories that would ensure X is up to snuff, regardless, and without damaging anything?

Vinny, I think, uses Bleachbit, and he's not reported a problem like this, come to think about it, anyway.

This IS a problem, not being able to take kernel updates.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

My update didn't cause problems. I suspect that you might have an ~/Xauthoriy ownership problem. It may have been re-assigned to root.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

GreyGeek:
          I suspect that you might have an ~/Xauthoriy ownership problem.
          or, some X issue?

I do have 12.04 updated and working, but I really do want to use 14.04 as my primary.

I am here now in the broken 14.04 (and, yep, I have backed up my /home ;-) ), having used claydoh's formula to get in:

Try going to a terminal via ctrl-alt-f1 and quit the login manager:

sudo service lighten stop
          (Sub "kde" for "lighten" if you use that)

Then simply enter:
          startx

---------------------

I am real suspicious that Bleachbit is messing with something related, like the XAuthority or otherwise X.

Thanks.

Comment

you might have an ~/Xauthoriy ownership problem
            fwiw, ~/.xauthority, ownership --> Properties: user and group is me (mike)

Comment

as I said, I'm in 14.04 (using claydoh's way of getting in), and now I have no sound (and can't fix it using the usual controls);

Well, I can't keep re-installing after each kernel update, but I'm thinking I will again, this time ...

Comment

Before re-installing, I'll wait awhile for today to see if anyone has any ideas I can try while I am logged into this broken 14.04. Seems whatever it is, it should be fixable.

-- Bleachbit deletes tmp System files when run as admin -- if that's the issue, seems it should be fixable now. (It DOES cause problems when it deletes KDE tmp files as user; it messes with ~/.xauthority; but I was not doing that.)

-- If ~/.xauthority is, in fact, broken, seems that should be fixable.

Comment

I have bleachbit installed, but haven't used it in quite awhile.

I believe to fix ~/.xauthority you need only to delete it - moving it would be safer.

Simple enough to test; boot to text console, log in, do mv ~/.xauthority ~/.xauthority.old, reboot

If you don't know how to boot to text; from the grub menu, hit "E" to edit your boot entry, look for "Quiet Splash" and change it to "Text" and then continue the boot. That should do it, but not save it that way.

Please Read Me

Comment

@oshunluver: That worked! ... so it seems after two reboots to test it. And the sound--that I lost in my broken 14.04--works, too, now. (It took me so long to test your tips because although I got logged in OK with your tips, I couldn't connect w/the wired Ethernet; and so unplugged and plugged it back in etc until it connected to Internet -- took some minutes.)

I know YOU know what you're doing, but I had forgotten that it is Xauthority (thanks to ls -a), capital "X," so
                    cd ~
                    mv .Xauthority .Xauthority.old
                    did it, as you indicated it should.

(Aside: I never was even a near-expert at the terminal and innards of K, but I was better back when working with GRUB legacy and doing all my tweeking how-to's, and I quit that work with the advent of GRUB 2 (unless you are a programmer, there's not much you can do with GRUB 2 anyway, except use Boot Repair). I've gotten rusty. Also, I've been lucky with Kubuntu--past few versions have worked perfectly for me without any need for Konsole.)

I don't mind re-installing, even with a new /home, it is good practice reconfiguring; but I do not wish to have to do so after every change to the kernel package.

Many, many thanks today!

Comment

I'll mark this, again, Solved (see Posts #23 and #24), where we are assuming the problem had something to do with a damaged ~/.Xauthority file, and deleting it has fixed the problem.

Comment

It seems safe to simply remove .Xauthority, it gets generated upon booting; thus, this would do it, also:
                        Code:
                        cd ~
                        rm .Xauthority
                        And I just found this, doing the same thing--getting a new .Xauthority file:
                        kubicle (on a past thread here, somewhere):

A few suggestions:

Firstly,
                        You don't need to boot into recovery mode to remove .Xauthority. You can remove it from normal boot:
                        1. when the login screen is visible, press Ctrl+Alt+F1 (to change to a virtual text terminal)
                        2. login with your user credentials
                        3. run 'rm ~/.Xauthority'
                        4. logout from terminal ( "exit" or Ctrl+d)
                        5. Switch back to the login screen (Ctrl+Alt+F7)

Secondly,
                        If your home partition isn't mounted automatically when you boot into recovery mode (command "mount" will list active mounts), you can mount it by running "mount /home"

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          fwiw, ~/.xauthority, ownership --> Properties: user and group is me (mike)
                          Having an update recreate ~/.Xauthority with root:root ownership was what caused my blank desktop the last time it happened, which was so long ago I don't remember exactly when. I merely changed user:group back to me:me. It seems your problem was with a corrupt ~/.Xauthority file.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yes, GG, looks like I stilled owned it, but it was damaged somehow.

Comment

btw, GreyGeek, credit to you for identifying .Xauthority as a possible culprit (to be fixed). Thanks. And, as I said above, thanks goes to oshunluvr for his prescription.

I am happy tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                                ...I was better back when working with GRUB legacy and doing all my tweeking how-to's, and I quit that work with the advent of GRUB 2 (unless you are a programmer, there's not much you can do with GRUB 2 anyway, except use Boot Repair)....
                                You can use GRUB 2 just like legacy, if you want. I assume you mean editing the menu yourself. Just create a small boot partition just for grub, install grub to that, and point all your installs at their own root partition. That way, when your installs update grub they don't touch "your" grub, or that of other installs. By doing so I banished the grub rescue prompt. It's just a boot loader, who cares if it's out of date.
                                Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                                X