This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would like to re-install 14.10

I have been seeing some issues, not big issues but it is clear that things are not running clean.

I have backed up Home/ ** to an external hard drive. Upon re-install I would like to have system settings be the same, drivers, etc. I remember when I first installed I had a terrible time getting WiFi to work and Nvidia problems. Don't want to go back there again.

I would like to have the same PPA's etc.

What I really want to do is make a larger partition and change the partition from Ext3 to ext4.

Are there other folders that I should back up?

OR ---- maybe I should just be happy with what I have running.

Impossible to answer without knowing what's wrong.

Here's my thoughts: Linux is a journey. Learning to fix things, make it do what you want, exploring and breaking things, are half of what it's all about. If you've already struggled through WiFi and nVidia issues, why not at least try and fix what's wrong?

On the other hand, converting and enlarging your partition maybe more work than re-installing.

Again, without any details, it's hard to give any advice, but what about doing a new install along side your current install instead of over-writing it? This is how I usually do upgrades - at least on a machine I rely on to work every day. Then you can migrate settings and such from one to the other at your leisure. Once you have the new install working the way you want, then wipe the old one - or leave it as a backup.

Post back your storage space details and we'll talk it over

Please Read Me

Comment

This older laptop has a 60 gig HD. It is my backup computer and at times, like last week when my MOBO on my main computer died. I had to do business on the laptop until the new board arrived. I need Windows to do that work and have Kubuntu install along side of it. The HD is getting very full When in Windows I have about 6 gigs free; I have a 1 gig swap for linux and the drive is getting full.

/dev/sda5 10265672 8304048 1433492 86% /
      none 4 0 4 0% /sys/fs/cgroup
      udev 1009864 4 1009860 1% /dev
      tmpfs 204952 1828 203124 1% /run
      none 5120 0 5120 0% /run/lock
      none 1024756 156 1024600 1% /run/shm
      none 102400 20 102380 1% /run/user

This morning I figured out why the one PPA wasn't updating but giving error codes, fixed and it is ok. The only real problem isn't really a problem but it affects my attitude of always wanting things to work as intended. It won't shut down or reboot from the GUI. I guess if that is all that is wrong...I should be happy.

Linux is a learning curve and along the way I have had to start over because of a bad move on my part.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Dec 02, 2014, 03:16 PM.

Comment

There's a current thread about the shutdown issue with 14.10 - some of us have some not. I'm still using 14.04 most of the time.

How's the hard drive laid out? Post the output of:

sudo blkid -c /dev/null -o list
        sudo fdisk -l

and maybe I'll have a suggestion.

Here's a forum tip: When you post console output like you did above, use CODE so you keep the console formatting. It makes it a lot easier to read. Copy your text but before you paste it, hit the "#" in the formatting bar and it will insert the CODE tags for you and put the cursor between them. Then a quick CTRL-V and it's done.

Please Read Me

Comment

Forgot to remove my 500 gig external for the first one, removed it for the second one.

Code:
          device                                                              fs_type         label            mount point                                                             UUID
          -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          /dev/sda1                                                                         ntfs               Windows main        (not mounted)                                                                         01CF3337A1FC7B50
          /dev/sda5                                                                         ext3                                   /                                                                                     e22dbcda-3528-4d95-91e2-8cba9e5ab5d9
          /dev/sda6                                                                         swap                                   <swap>                                                                                
          /dev/sdb1                                                                         vfat               My Book             (not mounted)                                                                         E1B5-218A
          sudo fdisk -l

Code:
          Disk /dev/sda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
          255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders, total 117210240 sectors
          Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
          Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                             
          I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes                                                                                                                                                                 
          Disk identifier: 0x00072610                                                                                                                                                                                       

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System                                                                                                                                                    
          /dev/sda1   *          63    93996314    46998126    7  HPFS/NTFS/exFAT                                                                                                                                           
          /dev/sda2        93996376   117210239    11606932    f  W95 Ext'd (LBA)                                                                                                                                           
          /dev/sda5        93996378   115121789    10562706   83  Linux                                                                                                                                                     
          /dev/sda6       115121853   117210239     1044193+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
          It appears that the above also picked up my external HD.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          There's a current thread about the shutdown issue with 14.10 - some of us have some not. I'm still using 14.04 most of the time.

How's the hard drive laid out? Post the output of:

sudo fdisk -l

and maybe I'll have a suggestion.

Here's a forum tip: When you post console output like you did above, use CODE so you keep the console formatting. It makes it a lot easier to read. Copy your text but before you paste it, hit the "#" in the formatting bar and it will insert the CODE tags for you and put the cursor between them. Then a quick CTRL-V and it's done.

Comment

Well, with that small of hard drive you don't have too many choices. How much space are you using in /home? In theory, you could shrink Windows 2GB, add that space to the extended partition and create a 2GB partition for your home if that's big enough. You could move sda5 to the (new) beginning of the extended and then expand it, but it takes a long time, especially with an old/slow CPU. I wouldn't bother to convert to ext4 if you're just waiting on a new mobo.

Please Read Me

Comment

New MOBO is in and we installed it. So the laptop is back to my play toy and a back up unit.

I know my choices are few.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
              Well, with that small of hard drive you don't have too many choices. How much space are you using in /home? In theory, you could shrink Windows 2GB, add that space to the extended partition and create a 2GB partition for your home if that's big enough. You could move sda5 to the (new) beginning of the extended and then expand it, but it takes a long time, especially with an old/slow CPU. I wouldn't bother to convert to ext4 if you're just waiting on a new mobo.

Comment

Working...
              X