X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
    I have youtube-dl and love it

Re. the player, I'm not comfortable installing third-party debs. If it were available as a ppa, I'd give it go and then could use ppa-purge in case of problems.
    that makes no sense.

it comes as a .deb package ,,,uninstalling is as easy as any other ,,,and shows in muon/synaptic whatever you use to do your package management and is no more dangerous than adding some PPA ,,,,,,even less so as a PPA can have LOTS of packages not just the one you want .

all it's dependencies come from your standard repos you use now .

O and you cant get any improvement on a video from you tube ,,,unless your problem is ,a)slow bandwidth ,,,,,get improvement by DLing first,,,,,,b)bad flash ver. or older browser HTML5 rendering .

your best expereance with the video would be DLing it first .

VINNY
    Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 14, 2017, 03:41 PM.
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
      you may like this ,,,,,, https://github.com/zaps166/QMPlay2/r...s/tag/17.09.13

scrole to bottom of page and click the Ubuntu.deb

install with a right click on the .deb package > open with>Qapt package installer.

to search and DL from youtube ,,,,it will nead https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

use the wget option ,,,you probably do not have "curl" ,,,,,,yes this IS in the repo , you could just use "sudo apt install youtube-dl" ,,,,but it will be an older version and you cant update it with "sudo youtube-dl -U" like the official ver, @hear

you must be able to update it as youtube will occasionally change their API ,,,,,and brake the functionality of it .

install the youtube-dl FIRST

this is a GREAT player ,,,,,especially if you like youtube ,,,as you can search , play and DL right in the player's youtube window ,,,with thumbnails and info on searches

all the "tabs" you see in the screen shot can be dragged off the main player window and dropped anywhere on the desktop as their own window (their all separate widgets) and then reassembled any way you like .

VINNY
      HI,

Do you take the view that QMPLay2 can replace VLC, or that both have their strengths and weaknesses?
      kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        HI,

Do you take the view that QMPLay2 can replace VLC, or that both have their strengths and weaknesses?
        VLC has powers that most people do not know about or if they do they do not appreciate them. Using VLC I was able to access URLs of BP's live videos streams of the Deep Horizons oil spill and was able to see and measure the actual flow of oil coming from the broken well head. (Given the known diameter of the well stem I was able to use the time between frames vs the distance particles traveled to compute the approximate volume of oil gushing from the well. When BP was saying publicly only 2,000 barrels/day were leaking I was measuring 87,000 bbl/day.

I had 12 videos simultaneously displaying on my 17" display because I could hide the menu, controls and borders and just show the video.

They are no longer active but here is the VLC script I used to display 17 rover streams on my 17" display, 12 at a time:
        vlc mms://a567.l9789246566.c97892.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/567/97892/v0001/reflector:46566 &
        vlc mms://a1031.l9789255030.c97892.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/1031/97892/v0001/reflector:55030 &
        ... snip 13
        vlc mms://a789.l9789240788.c97892.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/789/97892/v0001/reflector:40788 &
        vlc mms://a952.l9789224951.c97892.g.lm.akamaistream.net/D/952/97892/v0001/reflector:24951 &
        When they started injecting their two oil dispersants, which were extremely toxic but sold to BP by a BP owned subsidiary, I watched fish and other creatures wonder into the stream and then die and drop slowly to the sea floor.

I watched as the robots were raised from the sea floor and saw the upper 300 feet of the Caribbean ocean, and the wild life that was in it, as the robots were lifted out of the sea and placed on ships for maintenance. I watched BP employees work on the robots (because they rarely turned the cameras off) and I saw the surrounding ocean surface and the ships that were floating near by, trying to contain the oil rising to the surface by surrounding the oil with floating bumpers, and then skimming the oil off the surface and into nearby tankers, harvesting the oil.

BP was posting a two part URL of the live streams to its website and was using Windows Explorer dependent encoding to block the browser's access to the real live stream URL was as appended. VLC exposed the real URL and made it easy to merely view the real URL.

So yes, VLC is a very powerful tool. I haven't used it to stream yet, but I may do that using Freenet just to experiment.
        Last edited by GreyGeek; Sep 15, 2017, 04:51 PM.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

HI,

O I use them both,,,,,,,VLC comes with it's own set of codecs and QMplay2 uses FFMPEG and/or libav thay both will play almost whatever you throw at them .

I and I repeat I prefer QMpay2 for it's looks and the fact that you can pull all it's windows/tabs/widgets apart and throw them to different screens and parts of the same screen ,,,,,,so lets say I can put the video window on the TV ,,,,,and have the play list media info and EQ in separate windows on the laptop .

VINNY

EDIT: as GG said vlc can do more than you would think + more than QMplay2 ,,,,figuing out how to make vlc do these things can be ,,,,,difficult

for just playing I like QMplay2

EDIT2: look at this screen shot ,,,,,,,,now imagin the video window on the TV ,,fullscreen ,,,,,,and the controles I riped off the main window hear on the laptop ,,,,,,,neet hay

Last edited by vinnywright; Sep 15, 2017, 05:57 PM.
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

to search and DL from youtube ,,,,it will nead https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

use the wget option ,,,you probably do not have "curl" ,,,,,,yes this IS in the repo , you could just use "sudo apt install youtube-dl" ,,,,but it will be an older version and you cant update it with "sudo youtube-dl -U" like the official ver, @hear

you must be able to update it as youtube will occasionally change their API ,,,,,and brake the functionality of it .
            Rather than installing manually or through the repos, you can install/upgrade youtube-dl (and many other python packages/modules outdated in the repos) through "pip", which is sort of "apt-for-python".

It installs to /usr/local/ (by default), so it does not interfere with apt packaging, and you can also install for specific user only (under $HOME, if you prefer).

It works outside apt, so you need to run (or automatize) "sudo pip install --upgrade youtube-dl" every now and then to keep it up to date, but it's a fairly convenient way to keep python packages upgraded in distributions that don't upgrade them in the repos (like Kubuntu LTS and Neon).

You can find more information on pip online (or it's help), if you are interested...or we can start a discussion here (preferably on a new thread) if you wish.

For more info: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip
            You can also install pip from the repos (package "python-pip"), but you'll get the newest version by installing manually (you can use pip to upgrade pip).

Comment

If one has to do "sudo pip upgrade --install YouTube-dl" regularly to keep YouTube-dl updated wouldn't they have to do that for every Python package installed on their system? It seems to me that one would have to maintain bash script that has a "sudo pip ... " line for every Python pkg on their system and that script would have to be edited for each Python pkg added or removed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                VLC has powers that most people do not know about or if they do they do not appreciate them. Using VLC I was able to access URLs of BP's live videos streams of the Deep Horizons oil spill and was able to see and measure the actual flow of oil coming from the broken well head. (Given the known diameter of the well stem I was able to use the time between frames vs the distance particles traveled to compute the approximate volume of oil gushing from the well. When BP was saying publicly only 2,000 barrels/day were leaking I was measuring 87,000 bbl/day.

I had 12 videos simultaneously displaying on my 17" display because I could hide the menu, controls and borders and just show the video.

They are no longer active but here is the VLC script I used to display 17 rover streams on my 17" display, 12 at a time:

When they started injecting their two oil dispersants, which were extremely toxic but sold to BP by a BP owned subsidiary, I watched fish and other creatures wonder into the stream and then die and drop slowly to the sea floor.

I watched as the robots were raised from the sea floor and saw the upper 300 feet of the Caribbean ocean, and the wild life that was in it, as the robots were lifted out of the sea and placed on ships for maintenance. I watched BP employees work on the robots (because they rarely turned the cameras off) and I saw the surrounding ocean surface and the ships that were floating near by, trying to contain the oil rising to the surface by surrounding the oil with floating bumpers, and then skimming the oil off the surface and into nearby tankers, harvesting the oil.

BP was posting a two part URL of the live streams to its website and was using Windows Explorer dependent encoding to block the browser's access to the real live stream URL was as appended. VLC exposed the real URL and made it easy to merely view the real URL.

So yes, VLC is a very powerful tool. I haven't used it to stream yet, but I may do that using Freenet just to experiment.
                Very interesting use of VLC.

Let me know how you get on with your streaming studies.

All the best

Comment

O I use them both,,,,,,,VLC comes with it's own set of codecs and QMplay2 uses FFMPEG and/or libav thay both will play almost whatever you throw at them .

I and I repeat I prefer QMpay2 for it's looks and the fact that you can pull all it's windows/tabs/widgets apart and throw them to different screens and parts of the same screen ,,,,,,so lets say I can put the video window on the TV ,,,,,and have the play list media info and EQ in separate windows on the laptop .

VINNY

EDIT: as GG said vlc can do more than you would think + more than QMplay2 ,,,,figuing out how to make vlc do these things can be ,,,,,difficult

for just playing I like QMplay2

EDIT2: look at this screen shot ,,,,,,,,now imagin the video window on the TV ,,fullscreen ,,,,,,and the controles I riped off the main window hear on the laptop ,,,,,,,neet hay

There is also a package in my repo (14.04) called xine which is a media player. QMPlay2 certainly has a more attractive appearance than VLC

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    Rather than installing manually or through the repos, you can install/upgrade youtube-dl (and many other python packages/modules outdated in the repos) through "pip", which is sort of "apt-for-python".

It installs to /usr/local/ (by default), so it does not interfere with apt packaging, and you can also install for specific user only (under $HOME, if you prefer).

It works outside apt, so you need to run (or automatize) "sudo pip install --upgrade youtube-dl" every now and then to keep it up to date, but it's a fairly convenient way to keep python packages upgraded in distributions that don't upgrade them in the repos (like Kubuntu LTS and Neon).

You can find more information on pip online (or it's help), if you are interested...or we can start a discussion here (preferably on a new thread) if you wish.

For more info: https://pypi.python.org/pypi/pip
                    You can also install pip from the repos (package "python-pip"), but you'll get the newest version by installing manually (you can use pip to upgrade pip).
                    I have just had a look at my repo (14.04). I see a number of pips: python-pip; python-pip-whl; python3-pip.

I note what you said about using pip to upgrade pip, so I could use the package manager, and then upgrade.

I assume that it is a command line utility, I prefer a graphics facility, if that is possible?

I am now going to have a look at the page you indicated (https...).

Best wishes.

Comment

If one has to do "sudo pip upgrade --install YouTube-dl" regularly to keep YouTube-dl updated wouldn't they have to do that for every Python package installed on their system? It seems to me that one would have to maintain bash script that has a "sudo pip ... " line for every Python pkg on their system and that script would have to be edited for each Python pkg added or removed.
                      Well...my solution is cron script that basically runs "pip list -o" (which lists available updates to python packages) and notifies me of available upgrades...I then have another script command that I can use to install all of them either automatically or asking me about each upgrade (I basically have the similar thing going with apt as well).

I assume that it is a command line utility, I prefer a graphics facility, if that is possible?
                      I'm not aware of a GUI front-end to pip

Comment

Just when you thought it was safe to go into the pypi-Python waters ...

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/new...package-index/

NBU experts say attackers used a technique known as typosquatting to upload Python libraries with names similar to legitimate packages — e.g.: "urlib" instead of "urllib."

The PyPI repository does not perform any types of security checks or audits when developers upload new libraries to its index, so attackers had no difficulty in uploading the modules online.
                        Developers who mistyped the package name loaded the malicious libraries in their software's setup scripts.
                        Libraries included malicious but benign code

"These packages contain the exact same code as their upstream package thus their functionality is the same, but the installation script, setup.py, is modified to include a malicious (but relatively benign) code," NBU explained.
                        Experts say the malicious code only collected information on infected hosts, such as name and version of the fake package, the username of the user who installed the package, and the user's computer hostname.
                        Collected data, which looked like "Y:urllib-1.21.1 admin testmachine", was uploaded to a Chinese IP address at "121.42.217.44:8080".
                        Packages removed last week
                        So, all is well in the garden!

Comment

The version of VLC in my repo is 2.2.2.

My version is the same.

I have a PPA which states that it will not upgrade beyond 2.2.2.

I don't think I need this PPA, do you agree?

Thanks

Comment

IF that vlc in that ppa isn't going to be upgraded and it is the only package you are getting from that ppa then there is no reason to keep the ppa.

VLC is in Neon's Ubuntu repository.

Comment

IF that vlc in that ppa isn't going to be upgraded and it is the only package you are getting from that ppa then there is no reason to keep the ppa.

VLC is in Neon's Ubuntu repository.
                              Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                              X