X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VLC Problem

Hi,

I cannot stream Youtube videos with VLC.

I note errors.

I have looked at the folder: /usr/lib/vlc/playlist and note that I have youtube.luac, but not youtube.lua. Is this the source of my problem?

If so, where can I get the file? It is not in the repo.

Thanks.

Ps. I will also post this in the vlc forum
    kubuntu version: 16.04.5 LTS

Laptop: Toshiba-Satellite-L350

Here is my listing. A "custom.lua" is in the vlc-data package. Try reinstalling it.
    $ vdir /usr/lib/vlc/
    total 40
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug 11 09:30 libvlc_vdpau.so -> libvlc_vdpau.so.0.0.0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 21 Aug 11 09:30 libvlc_vdpau.so.0 -> libvlc_vdpau.so.0.0.0
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 18552 Aug 11 09:30 libvlc_vdpau.so.0.0.0
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70 Mar 16 10:10 lua
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 488 Sep 5 11:41 plugins
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 10480 Aug 11 09:30 vlc-cache-gen

$ vdir /usr/lib/vlc/lua

total 0
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 20 Aug 14 11:55 extensions
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 134 Aug 14 11:55 intf
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 32 Mar 16 10:10 meta
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 96 Aug 14 11:55 modules
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 760 Aug 14 11:55 playlist
    drwxr-xr-x 1 root root 118 Aug 14 11:55 sd

$ vdir /usr/lib/vlc/lua/modules
    total 56
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 8916 Aug 11 09:28 common.luac
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 28678 Aug 11 09:28 dkjson.luac
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4617 Aug 11 09:28 sandbox.luac
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3515 Aug 11 09:28 simplexml.luac
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

you may like this ,,,,,, https://github.com/zaps166/QMPlay2/r...s/tag/17.09.13

scrole to bottom of page and click the Ubuntu.deb

install with a right click on the .deb package > open with>Qapt package installer.

to search and DL from youtube ,,,,it will nead https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

use the wget option ,,,you probably do not have "curl" ,,,,,,yes this IS in the repo , you could just use "sudo apt install youtube-dl" ,,,,but it will be an older version and you cant update it with "sudo youtube-dl -U" like the official ver, @hear

you must be able to update it as youtube will occasionally change their API ,,,,,and brake the functionality of it .

install the youtube-dl FIRST

this is a GREAT player ,,,,,especially if you like youtube ,,,as you can search , play and DL right in the player's youtube window ,,,with thumbnails and info on searches

all the "tabs" you see in the screen shot can be dragged off the main player window and dropped anywhere on the desktop as their own window (their all separate widgets) and then reassembled any way you like .

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
        Hi,

I cannot stream Youtube videos with VLC.

How are you doing this? Media > Open Network Stream works for me. All I need to do is to paste in the YouTube url.

VLC 2.2.2
        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
          How are you doing this? Media > Open Network Stream works for me. All I need to do is to paste in the YouTube url.

VLC 2.2.2
          ya ,,,so we open youtube in a browser ,,,,,,,find a video ,,,,,start the video (at this point why not just watch it ?) copy the vid URL ,,,,,,,pull up vlc ,,,,,go to "media>open network stream past in the youtube URL and click play ,,,,,,now wate ,,,and maybe get the video ,,,or maybe some cryptic cant open message.

nope ,,, not hear , I just open QMplay2 click the youtube tab type in a search (that will show similar topics/names as I type) click the search button and bam ,,,the window poulates with icons of the videos ,,,,click one to play it .

1/2 the steps and a guaranteed play

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

VLC 2.2.2
            Works for me too! Same version.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
              ya ,,,so we open youtube in a browser ,,,,,,,find a video ,,,,,start the video (at this point why not just watch it ?) copy the vid URL ,,,,,,,pull up vlc ,,,,,go to "media>open network stream past in the youtube URL and click play ,,,,,,now wate ,,,and maybe get the video ,,,or maybe some cryptic cant open message.

nope ,,, not hear , I just open QMplay2 click the youtube tab type in a search (that will show similar topics/names as I type) click the search button and bam ,,,the window poulates with icons of the videos ,,,,click one to play it .

1/2 the steps and a guaranteed play

VINNY
              I have youtube-dl and love it

Re. the player, I'm not comfortable installing third-party debs. If it were available as a ppa, I'd give it go and then could use ppa-purge in case of problems.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                Here is my listing. A "custom.lua" is in the vlc-data package. Try reinstalling it.
                Hello,

I am working on it.

I unistalled vlc and reinstalled the package (note I also have a PPA for this programme).

I have re-checked the root/.../playlist folder and still do not have the youtube.lua file; but, I do have youtube.luac!

Since the programme streams for you, there must be something wrong with my version of vlc (note I am running kubuintu 14.04, if that makes a difference)

In progress.

Best wishes

Comment

VLC 2.2.2
                  Hello,

I am doing it the same way as you are. Are you using kubuntu 14.04?

If you are, then there is something wrong with my installation.

Best wishes.

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
                    you may like this ,,,,,, https://github.com/zaps166/QMPlay2/r...s/tag/17.09.13

scrole to bottom of page and click the Ubuntu.deb

install with a right click on the .deb package > open with>Qapt package installer.

to search and DL from youtube ,,,,it will nead https://rg3.github.io/youtube-dl/download.html

use the wget option ,,,you probably do not have "curl" ,,,,,,yes this IS in the repo , you could just use "sudo apt install youtube-dl" ,,,,but it will be an older version and you cant update it with "sudo youtube-dl -U" like the official ver, @hear

you must be able to update it as youtube will occasionally change their API ,,,,,and brake the functionality of it .

install the youtube-dl FIRST

this is a GREAT player ,,,,,especially if you like youtube ,,,as you can search , play and DL right in the player's youtube window ,,,with thumbnails and info on searches

all the "tabs" you see in the screen shot can be dragged off the main player window and dropped anywhere on the desktop as their own window (their all separate widgets) and then reassembled any way you like .

VINNY
                    Hello,

I will see if I can get vlc streaming first.

If I can't, I will have a look at that programme. I assume that it could replace vlc.

You asked why not just watch youtube videos rather that steam.

Some youtube films are, unfortunately, of poor quality. I have been told by 'the experts' that when streaming these in vlc, I will have a lot more control over the video.

See you later.

Comment

Originally posted by anonprivate View Post
                      Some youtube films are, unfortunately, of poor quality. I have been told by 'the experts' that when streaming these in vlc, I will have a lot more control over the video.
                      Wow!

Any sources to back that up assuming you mean improvement of quality by streaming a video through vlc?
                      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Wow!

Any sources to back that up assuming you mean improvement of quality by streaming a video through vlc?
                        When I watch Youtube videos, I often read the comments below.

These are the sources of my information.

By 'experts', I mean people whose experience is greater than mine

Best wishes.

Comment

Although I am running Neon User Edition, I installed VLC from the standard Ubuntu repository for 16.04, and it works great.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                            Although I am running Neon User Edition, I installed VLC from the standard Ubuntu repository for 16.04, and it works great.
                            But OP seems to imply, that streaming a YouTube video through VLC can do "something" to improve the quality of the video according to experts.

However great VLC is, I doubt it can do anything like what is hoped for.
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

But OP seems to imply, that streaming a YouTube video through VLC can do "something" to improve the quality of the video according to experts.

However great VLC is, I doubt it can do anything like what is hoped for.
                              I read that. However, in experimenting with various video settings and tools for one mp4 video I noticed no improvements and in some cases decreases in quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X