Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's been a good while since I've had to mess with X initialization so I could be wrong, but doesn't Xsession run after user login (and xsession selection)...so the settings won't affect the display/login manager (at least that would explain why the settings don't affect the login screen).

I would at least try putting the monitor/device configuration in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ rather than /etc/X11/Xsession.d/

Comment

Not sure what version of Kubuntu you guys are on, but @here with 14.04 and 15.04, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ doesn't exist. AFAIK, the correct way for 14.04 is right where I suggested. 15.04 has /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so that's where it goes for 15.04, but this is the 14.04 board so I assumed the OP was using 14.04.
      Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 03, 2016, 12:30 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I just checked my 16.04 install and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d doesn't exist there either. It's in /usr/share/X11/

Please Read Me

Comment

I did find this note on arch wiki:

Code:
          X still reads both directories. As stated on both the wiki and stackexchange, the /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ path is meant for default configuration (usually provided by packages) and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is meant for system-specific (in other words user-made) configs.
          so maybe the "correct" way is to create the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d directory and then install the user edits there. Makes sense as a package update might redo /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d file but not in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; Apr 03, 2016, 12:40 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            Not sure what version of Kubuntu you guys are on, but @here with 14.04 and 15.04, /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ doesn't exist.
            It might not exist, but if you put it there it should be read (see man xorg.conf DESCRIPTION). I can't remember when xorg.conf.d support for configuration has been in X, so it might not be in 14.04...in which case one can put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

The correct way for 14.04 is right where I suggested.
            Xsession configuration is not the same thing as xorg.conf configuration, IIRC, Xsession affects X sessions only, not the display manager/login manager.

15.04 has /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d so that's where it goes for 15.04
            /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is for config files installed by packages, and /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ is for local config files, both are read in X initialization.

man xorg.conf:
            When the Xorg server is started by the “root” user, the config directory search locations are as follows:

<cmdline>
            /etc/X11/<cmdline>
            /etc/X11/<cmdline>
            /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
            /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d
            Finally, configuration files will also be searched for in a directory reserved for system use. This is to separate configuration files from the
            vendor or 3rd party packages from those of local administration. These files are found in the following directory:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
            EDIT: Ah, I see you reposted while I was typing...so most of this is redundant now
            Last edited by kubicle; Apr 03, 2016, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
              It's been a good while since I've had to mess with X initialization so I could be wrong, but doesn't Xsession run after user login (and xsession selection)...so the settings won't affect the display/login manager (at least that would explain why the settings don't affect the login screen).
              Yeah, you're right about that. Maybe, in a case like this where the OP needs the "fix" invoked prior to login manager the best place would be in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-nvidia.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

Cross posted we are...

Please Read Me

Comment

@joneall: Before the second edit I suggest, do what we posted about above.

Create /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and move the 65nvidia file from Xsession.d to the new location. I must have mis-remembered the proper location - thinking about stuff like invoking xmodmap which is done in Xsession.d.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, you're right about that. Maybe, in a case like this where the OP needs the "fix" invoked prior to login manager the best place would be in /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-nvidia.conf
                    I'd put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-nvidia.conf, just because of the vendor/local distinction, but /usr/share will work of course.

And just checked, the X version in 14.04 supports the xorg.conf.d config directory.

EDIT: And cross-posting again...I'll let you handle this from now on as I'm clearly too slow

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                      EDIT: And cross-posting again...I'll let you handle this from now on as I'm clearly too slow
                      Ha, maybe I'm just less-busy at the moment! I wouldn't want to curtail your input - you're always a valuable contributor!

Please Read Me

Comment

I put it in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/52-nvidia.conf and it works like a charm.

Thanks, everybody.
                        'I must have a prodigious quantity of mind; it takes me as much as a week sometimes to make it up.' Mark Twain

Comment

Great

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X