Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slow System For Application Performance Testing?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I am a video game developer who uses Kubuntu 14.04 L.T.S. 64Bit on my main development desktop.
    Is there any method to slow the system down so I can test the performance of my game engine?

I am running a desktop with Intel Core i5 3GHz 4-core CPU, 16GB DDR3 RAM, and an nVidia GeForce GTS 450 1GB GDDR5 GPU.
    Is there something I can do to slow down the desktop when using Kubuntu 14.04 L.T.S. 64Bit?

I would prefer something that is done in the O.S. and not the MB's BIOS so I can switch on/off when running the desktop.
    Thanks!

Jesse "JeZxLee"
    16BitSoft Inc.
    Video Game Design Studio
    www.16BitSoft.com

Turn off 3 cores and use cpufreq to force minimum clock speed?

Please Read Me

Comment

cpulimt can reduce maximum output to a lower percentage too.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Turn off 3 cores and use cpufreq to force minimum clock speed?
        Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.
        How would I turn off 3 cores and how would I setup "cpufreq"?

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

cpulimt can reduce maximum output to a lower percentage too.
          Hi,

I tried "cpulimit" and reduced the game executable to 5% but it's not making the game run slower?
          How would I disable 3 CPU cores and lower the single CPU core's frequency?
          Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

I've never tried to deliberately cripple my CPU so I've not tried it. I just made a few suggestions. You'll have to do some searching. What you want to do may not even be possible.

I do know another way: Create a virtual machine in virtualbox and assign it a single core.

Please Read Me

Comment

I've never tried to deliberately cripple my CPU so I've not tried it. I just made a few suggestions. You'll have to do some searching. What you want to do may not even be possible.

I do know another way: Create a virtual machine in virtualbox and assign it a single core.
              Hi,

Great idea!
              I created a Windows XP virtual machine using VirtualBox and set the "Execution Cap" to 25%.
              Now the game runs slow and I can test performance of engine code modifications.

Thanks!

Jesse

Comment

Originally posted by JeZ-l-Lee View Post
                How would I disable 3 CPU cores and lower the single CPU core's frequency?
                Take a look at my post #3 in this thread: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php?66665.

Comment

Working...
                X