X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NAS Drive "examining" file before opening

Hello,
    May i ask why my NAS drive (Which operates ok using SMB) is caching the file i want opening on my main drive?
    Every time i open a file off the NAs drive i get an "Examining" pop up then the caching of the file and then opening, can i set it to just open up straight away?
    Also is there any way of showing the drive free size in dolphin instead of unknown?
    Last edited by Bladeforce; Sep 21, 2014, 01:38 PM.

SAMBA is the reason. You can configure VLC to stream samba, but most other programs won't. Switch your NAS to NFS is you can.

Re. Dolphin, open the samba and right-click on the folder and select Properties. Then, Calculate for total size.

Please Read Me

Comment

Select Configure Dolphin... select General on the left, the Status Bar tab has a checkbox for show space info.
      Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Configuring dolphin like that still doesnt show the size of the nas drive. I take it this is a fault of Samba i just want to open it directly not cache the whole file locally before playing

Comment

Might try adding the nfs drive to the exclusion list on the Desktop Search in System Settings.
          I think the caching is related to a search indexing. I have seen this behavior before on a local directory with a large number of files.

Not sure as far as a size display for the nfs.
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

desktop search will not allow me to add NAS drives. I click add then browse to the folder on the NAs drive and click ok then nothing is added to the exclusion list

Comment

Do you have the nfs-common package installed?
              Not sure it would make any difference.
              Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

I didnt have nfs-common installed but now i do because it all works beautifully. Many thanks otiskit! I still dont get the drive sizes but just glad it streams now instead of chaching the whole file.

Many thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                X