Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Almost no video editing capabilities at all. Frustrating and wasted morning.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Almost no video editing capabilities at all. Frustrating and wasted morning.

Wow, what a wasted morning. Mplayer2 will not play 99% of files here:
    Code:
    MPlayer interrupted by signal 11 in module: demux_open- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
      Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
      disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
    - MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
      It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
      gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
      DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
      won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
    I've tried every video output format - all produce the same results. Mplayer2 not working means Devede doesn't work either. Then, using Devede on a file that will open with mplayer2 (rare, but found one), Devede crashes when you try to select a place to save the iso. This bug is supposedly fixed in the latest update - which we don't have because our updates trail Debian too far behind. Tried Lives to make the video - no better - it crashes too.

Code:
    LiVES 2.2.0
    Copyright 2002-2013 Gabriel Finch () and others.
    LiVES comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
    This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
    under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details.

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect image_stabilizer, line 4

LiVES info: Invalid effect farneback_analyserfarneback_analysersalsaman1 found in compound effect motion_analyser, line 4

avformat detected format: mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2
    /usr/lib/lives/lives-exe: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib//lives/plugins/decoders/zzavformat_decoder.so: undefined symbol: av_find_stream_info
    OpenShot is no better:

Code:
    on_mnuImportFiles_activate called with self.GtkImageMenuItem[mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x24f6920] multiple edit list entries, a/v desync might occur, patch welcome
    [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x24f6920] multiple edit list entries, a/v desync might occur, patch welcome
    [mov,mp4,m4a,3gp,3g2,mj2 @ 0x24f6920] multiple edit list entries, a/v desync might occur, patch welcome
    Segmentation fault (core dumped)
    Looks like I upgraded to 14.04 too soon. Too many bugs to report - I have a life after all.

I guess I'll downgrade and wait it out.

EDIT: Forgot to mention "eject -T /dev/sr0" doesn't work either. Not a video issue per se but still annoying when I'm trying to make DVDs. This edit added from 13.10 while burning a DVD made with Devede.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; May 13, 2014, 11:54 AM.

Please Read Me

Is there anything about your system that is particularly unusual, or is that a bug for the whole program?

Don't these packages get tested automatically before they're released? :s
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
      Is there anything about your system that is particularly unusual, or is that a bug for the whole program?

Don't these packages get tested automatically before they're released? :s
      You would think, right? There's nothing obviously in common - the errors seems unrelated. I tried numerous files and types, etc. All these worked in 13.10.

Please Read Me

Comment

It's a different package though, right?
        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Last week I had a similar problem.
          I transitioned from 13.10 around the time of Alpha2/ end of February and all was well and remained so until a little over a week ago.
          Losing the mplayer functionality was really annoying, I mentioned it here in a few posts.

Eventually I got sick of trying to fix and spend an hour reinstalling resulting in a working system, including video playback with (s)mplayer.
          Of course the next day I spend another hour installing a few applications that weren't on my cheat sheet.

Oh yes, a little OT but.
          Today I upgraded an HP TouchSmart All in One, AMD processor, Intel video and it ended up without a windows manager.
          Dependency hell trying to install either lightdm or kdm so after half an hour I did a reinstall and again half an hour later it came up lovely.
          Right now the HP mini is doing it's upgrade...
          Just as well the owner isn't in, she'd be livid, you broke my computer"!
          Last edited by Teunis; May 13, 2014, 02:01 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

I tried to create a video DVD last week. Creating video DVDs seems to have suffered a regression. It used to be easy to do using Devde. Dvd+rw+tools, videotrans, dvdauthor, KDELiven and even tried to twist VLC to do it. No Joy.

On the good side besides SimpleScreenRecorder, RecordItNow and Vokoscreen, Claydoh clued me in on a new open source desktop recorder that works great: ScreenStudio-1.0.1.
            A YouTube discussion of it:

and the jar file for Ubuntu 14.04 can be downloaded from here:
            http://screenstudio.crombz.com/

Besides creating an *.flv file for uploading to YouTube it allows easy screen casting to Twitch (and others later).
            Last edited by GreyGeek; May 13, 2014, 01:52 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

To the OP, I had the same problem yesterday after installing VLC from the stable PPA. It uses a newer version of libavformat that was incompatible with the version of mplayer I had so SMPlayer was crashing. After purging it and using the files from the regular repos it all works again.

Comment

Have you tried kdenlive, I think this is one of the best video editors and dvd authors within Linux.

Comment

VLC works OK here - but I'm using the dev. version from a special PPA, not the in-house one. At least I can see I'm not alone so it's system issues - not a bone-headed move on my part.

I kept my 13.10 install, so I was able to boot into that and use Devede without problem there.

Re. the eject issue - I haven't figured it out yet but it works part of the time. Basically, I made a menu entry that opens/closes the dvd tray and put it in my desktop panel. Because my PC is a stretch away from my chair, it allows me to have the tray open or close without having to strain for the button. I get an "ioctl: Input/output error" sometimes. Weird.

"

Please Read Me

Comment

Stretch or not, you need to take the cup out before closing the tray

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      Stretch or not, you need to take the cup out before closing the tray
                      Yeah - nothing more frustrating than having the morning jolt jammed and out of reach...lol!

On topic: I also discovered that's there's a libdvdnav bug (reported already) too. VLC won't play some DVDs with menus - it just crashes. Basically, my computer is no longer usable for almost any video/DVD functions. Wow, what a disaster. I think closing Medibuntu was a bad idea.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                        I think closing Medibuntu was a bad idea.
                        Didn't the maintainer spend ages trying to find someone to take over?
                        samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
                          Didn't the maintainer spend ages trying to find someone to take over?
                          I don't really know - just complaining mostly. Seems suspicious that all this happens on the eve of the transition away from a dedicated repository, but I doubt that's actually the cause.

Please Read Me

Comment

The last few times I've been there (months ago) the site had a "looking for a new maintainer" banner splashed across the top. I don't think it closed for lack of use, nobody stepped up is all (and most /all of the packages are available elsewhere).

Shame to see it gone, I found it useful when I was new to Linux.
                            samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

The video problem is is largely due to the replacement of ffmpeg by this libav or so, not because of medibuntu.

Comment

Working...
                              X