X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

amarok unusable while scanning collection

Hi all,

I have two (connected) problems with my amarok installation. My music collection is on an external USB drive, and it is rather large (30k tracks).

First problem: amarok appears to be rescanning the entire external disk each time I plug in the device.
    Second problem: amarok is completely unresponsive during the collection scan.

So basically each time I turn on my laptop there is a period of several minutes minutes where amarok scans once again the collection, and it is not ablo do to anything else in the meantime.

Is there anything you can suggest me?

Thanks for your help,

Andrea.

Can you turn off automatic scan? Assuming your USB drive is mounted at the same location every time it's plugged in, the collection should still be there and accessible.

Please Read Me

Comment

You might try going into system settings and enabling or tweaking removable media settings - perhaps turning on automatic mounting on attach might help there. Then you might be able to add the usb drive to your Local Collection from within Amarok.

Comment

Hi, thanks for the replies.

I tried your suggestions, and they don't help.

However, I realized that I was confusing two apparently different processes.

1) There is something that amarok does every time a source shows up, and it writes "Counting..." when doing it. This is what is happening to me, and I cannot find any way of disabling it. It takes several minutes for my large collection. It does the same for the "normal" local collection on my hard disk, although it is considerably faster. During this process amarok is unusable.

2) The collection scan is apparently something else. If I trigger it by hand, it takes a LOT more time. Luckily, this is not being done at every startup.

So, to rephrase my question: what on Earth is amarok doing when "Counting..." a collection? Do you know if there is a way to just ask it to stop doing it? Really, I promise I'll not change the collection behind its back

Thanks for your help,

Andrea.

Comment

You might try disabling Amarok's plug-ins to see if one of them is responsible for this "Counting..." message you are receiving (Settings -> Configure Amarok... -> Plugins). I remember in the past I was getting a similar message and I was able to get rid of it by disabling a plug-in.

Also, you could try un-checking the "Watch folders for changes" option in "Configure Amarok -> Local Collection" and see if that makes a difference.
          Nowadays I'm mostly Mac, but...
          tron: KDE neon User | MacPro5,1 | 3.2GHz Xeon | 48GB RAM | 250GB, 1TB, & 500GB Samsung SSDs | Nvidia GTX 980 Ti

Comment

Working...
          X