This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dlna server on 14.04

I can install minidlna or mediatomb. The problem is, I want to use files stored on an NTFS drive that is shared with windows. I could copy them all to an ext4 drive, but that would be a waste of space (as well as take forever.) Any ideas?

I can't speak to those particular programs. I run Serviio for dlna.

However, minidlna and mediatomb are linux programs, so you need a linux install to run them. You can mount any networked or local storage anyway you want and then access the files with your chosen dlna server. The files need not be on the same drive or computer to do that. Your linux install (and by extension, any programs running from that install) could care less what filesystem your files are stored, as long as it is properly mounted.

So the answer to your question is: Mount the ntfs drive in your linux install, setup your dlna server, done.

Please Read Me

Comment

The drive is mounted in the linux install. I am getting a permissions error. Not sure why. Possible problem with mounting? Just not sure what to check and in what order. The partition is mounted with RW perms

Comment

More specific info would be needed if you're looking for help. I can only guess that your dlna server is not of the proper group to access the ntfs mount. If you want help, start with the exact text of the error message and when/where is occurs, the mounting details of the ntfs partition, and anything else that might be relevant.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          More specific info would be needed if you're looking for help. I can only guess that your dlna server is not of the proper group to access the ntfs mount. If you want help, start with the exact text of the error message and when/where is occurs, the mounting details of the ntfs partition, and anything else that might be relevant.
          Ok, here is some more info.

Media is located on partition mounted at /storage in fstab
          # /storage was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
          UUID=24CCFEEFCCFEBA5E /storage ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

When I try to select this drive in mediatomb, I get the error: could not list directory /storage: Permission denied.

I am not sure where the group manager went in 14.04. All of the drives mounted in fstab are woned by user:root and grouplugdev. I am sure this is the problem. When I try to run sudo chown -R mediatomb:mediatomb /storage. I again get a permission denied error

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
            Ok, here is some more info.

Media is located on partition mounted at /storage in fstab
            # /storage was on /dev/sdc1 during installation
            UUID=24CCFEEFCCFEBA5E /storage ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

I am not sure where the group manager went in 14.04. All of the drives mounted in fstab are woned by user:root and grouplugdev. I am sure this is the problem. When I try to run sudo chown -R mediatomb:mediatomb /storage. I again get a permission denied error
            Could you type the following cmd into a terminal, please?

Code:
            id mediatomb
            Is plugdev (gid 46) listed as a group that user has membership of?
            --
            Intocabile

Comment

Whats the output of

groups mediatomb

To change the ownership, unmount the ntfs partition, change the ownership/group of the mount point, edit fstab to use the group number you wish, then remount and check the results. You could add mediatomb to the "users" group (100), then set the mount group to 100 and add yourself to 100 also. Then you would be able to access the file directly as well as mediatomb.

Please Read Me

Comment

I actually fixed the problem by removing GID from fstab. now it all works fine

Comment

Working...
                X