This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

root file system issue during installation

I have been using Mepis. Yesterday I tried to install Kubuntu 14.04. The installer was at the disk preparation stage. It showed the layout of my 2 hard drives (HD). I chose manual installation because my first HD has 3 partitions: sda1, sda2, and sda3. Sda1 contains Mepis 11; sda2 contains my home directory; and sda3 contains Mepis 8. I want to install Kubuntu 14.04 on sda3. So I highlighted (selected) that partition. When I hit the Continue button, it would not proceed, and it gave me this message: “No root file system is defined.” That message makes no sense to me, and I saw nothing on the screen that would help me resolve the issue; so I quit the installation.

Highlighting sda3 should tell the installer where I want Kubuntu to be installed. The installer knows that sda3 is not empty, that is, it needs to be reformatted before Kubuntu is written to that partition. It should alert me to that fact, and it should ask me if I want to proceed. I would answer Yes, and it then should proceed by (1) reformatting partition sda3 and (2) then writing Kubuntu to sda3. Where in that procedure is it necessary to define a root file system?

Once Kubuntu is installed and I reboot the computer, the boot loader (presumably Grub 2) should present me at boot time with a menu containing 2 options: (1) Kubuntu 14.04 and (2) Mepis 11, which is on sda1. The root file system then will be determined by which one of those 2 options I select.

I would like to install Kubuntu 14.04, but I cannot until I understand (1) the “No root file system is defined.” message and (2) how to get past that point. Your help in this matter will be appreciated.

That error usually means you didn't specify the root location. You selected the correct partition, but then must "edit" it and assign "/" as "Mount point:" pictured here

When you manually partition using Ubiquity (the installer we're using) you must indicate what goes where along with formatting options, etc.
    Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you for your help. I clearly am unfamiliar with Ubiquity. I don't see what needs to be "edited." All that needs to be done is to ask me if I want my selected partition to be reformatted. I will answer "Yes." The installer then should do 2 things: (1) reformat sda3 and (2) write Kubuntu 14.04 to the reformatted sda3 partition. It then should tell me to reboot my computer. When I do, I then should be presented with 2 options: (1) boot into Kubuntu or (2) boot into Mepis 11. That seems pretty simple to me. The more decisions I must make before Kbuntu is installed, the greater the chances of error. Be that as it may, I will return to the installation and see if I can figure things out now given the info you have provided me. I'll let you know the outcome.

Comment

When selecting manual partitioning, I would expect to have to manually enter the partition information.

The screen shot I posted clearly shows where to click to set the mount point. Simply select "/" there and it should install.

Please Read Me

Comment

Programs can't guess - well they could be programmed to guess, but then that program is more likely to be incorrect in it's decision. Declaring where root is supposed to go is fundamental to setting up a proper file system. Even if you have multiple OS installs on one machine, the bootloader needs to know where a selected OS is located, each in a defined root structure.
          Last edited by jglen490; Aug 29, 2014, 08:12 PM.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
            I don't see what needs to be "edited." All that needs to be done is to ask me if I want my selected partition to be reformatted. I will answer "Yes."
            When you choose manual installation it's up to you to decide where to put things and whether to format any given partition. Everything you're expecting to see, you WILL see as soon as you highlight the partition you want, select 'Change', and then proceed from there. As oshunluvr's image shows, you'll have the opportunity to assign a root partition, and whether to format it.
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

The screen shot you posted says, "Create a Partition." I do not want to "create a partition." I want to preserve the partitioning that now exists on each of my 2 hard drives. Nor do I want to boot an operating system. I want (the installer) to do 2 things: (1) reformat sda3 and (2) install Kubuntu 14.04 on that reformatted partition. From my point of view, for the installer at this point to want me to name "the root system" is illogical. At this point, all the installer needs to know is where (which of sda's existing 3 partitions) I want to install Kubuntu. I conveyed that info by selecting (highlighting) the sda3 partition. Then the installer should alert me to the fact that in order to install Kubuntu on sda3, that partition must be reformatted, and it should ask me if I want to proceed. I will answer Yes. Then it should reformat sda3 and install Kubuntu. Then it should tell me to reboot my computer. When I do, the boot loader should present me with a menu asking me if I want to boot into Mepis 11 (which sda1 contains) or Kubuntu 14.04 (which sda3 contains). That choice will determine (define) the root system.

That sequence of steps (which I have sketched) will work. It may not be (is not) the one that Ubiquity uses, but it will work. It's hard for one who is brand new to Ubiquity to know in advance how it works.

I am brand new to Ubuntu and its installer, but I am not brand new to Linux or computers. I have installed and used Mepis 6, 7, 8, and 11. Mepis's installer follows the procedure I have sketched. I will return to my installation of Kubuntu either today or tomorrow. Once again, I appreciate your help.

Comment

On my screen shot it says "Create" because I used free space on a virtual drive. On your's you will get that exact same screen, except it won't say create. You will select your partition, click the "Change" button. Select the format type in the "Use as:" box . Tic "Format the partition:" Select "/" in "Mount Point". and click OK, then click install.

One word of warning: Ubiquity assumes you want to install Kubuntu's version of GRUB in your hard drive MBR. If you are planning to play with Kubuntu for awhile, but not convinced you are going to keep it, you may not want to do this because deleting Kubuntu will delete GRUB leaving your system unbootable. You should see an option at the bottom of the "Prepare Partitions" to select the GRUB install location. Unfortunately, some developer decided long ago that we no longer needed a "Don't Install GRUB" option, but you can select the install partition (sda3?) and it won't effect your MBR. Obviously, if you do this, you'll have to boot to Mepis and change GRUB there to dual boot. Another option to avoid the GRUB install is to launch Ubiquity from the command line using the -b or --no-bootloader switches. If you decide to keep Kubuntu as your primary OS, you can re-install GRUB later with little effort.

A little advice which your free to ignore or accept at your pleasure: You are experienced with Mepis, I have been using Linux daily since 1996 or so and have used dozens of distros. I would like to point at that every distro is different in many ways from all the others because they all have different developers. I think of Linux distro developers like a room full of kids with a large box of crayons. They all have their own blank sheet of paper but share the crayons. When they're done coloring, even though they used the same materials, the results are wildly different. Expecting Kubuntu to work like Mepis will ultimately lead to disappointment and frustration. I have little doubt had you slowed down just a bit and removed your expectations somewhat, you would have figured out this on your own.

Frankly, Ubiquity is not a great installer, but it works most of the time.

Please Read Me

Comment

I installed Kubuntu, but I have some questions. I'll start with the 2 most important ones.

1. The installer did not ask me for a root password. Why not? How do I now get root access?

2. When I first partitioned sda, I dedicated sda2 to my home directory. The installer asked me nil re my home directory. So when I launch Writer, my home directory is basically empty, and without root access, I cannot even mount sda2's file system manually.

Your help wiill be greatly appreciated.

Comment

1) There is no root user in *buntu. The user account created during the install has admin (sudo) privileges.
                    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo
                    tl;dr: use sudo for terminal commands, kdesudo
                    for launching gui applications with admin rights.

2) if you used the manual partition setup option in the installer, you would need to assign a partition as /home, else it will reside inside of the root partition.

3) using sudo, you will be able to mount your partition and edit your fstab to suit.

Last edited by claydoh; Aug 30, 2014, 06:42 PM. Reason: :p

Comment

I will read the info at the site you provided, but just based on my analysis of your info, I see exactly how it works. The person who installs *buntu is the administrator, and his/her password is the administrator's (root user's) password. This procedure is efficient.

I did do a manual installation (I even installed it TWICE thinking that I must have missed something the first time), and it asked me nil (both times) re home directory (or a partition containing my home directory). Nor do I recall any place in the installation where I could have entered that info. I will add a record to fstab with "auto" as the mount option so that the home-directory partition will be mounted automatically when the system boots.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I'm looking forward to learning more about Kubuntu.
                      Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 03, 2014, 01:34 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wtb32141 View Post
                        and it asked me nil (both times) re home directory (or a partition containing my home directory). Nor do I recall any place in the installation where I could have entered that info.
                        it will not ask.
                        look at post #2 and the screen shot ,,,,,you must select the partition you have for /home and in that drop down list you see in the screenshot in post #2 select /home for the mount point for that partition just like you did for the / (root partition)

or now after the fact ,,,,you could edit the /etc/fstab file to point to it .

VINNY
                        Last edited by SteveRiley; Sep 03, 2014, 01:35 AM.
                        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                        16GB RAM
                        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Vinny:

Thanks for the clear explanation. I see how it works now. I added a record to fstab, and my home directory now is working fine. I have configured Kmail; so that's working too. I really appreciate the help that you and the others have given me.

The only exposure to Linux I have had thus far is with Mepis. It will be very educational for me to use Kubuntu. I'm sure I will learn much in the process.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                          X