• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Disk partioning for installation [SSD 256Go + HDD 500Go hybrid 8Go SSD]

Hi all,

I bought a new laptop (Dell Precision M3800) with two disk :
    - SSD 256 Go
    - HDD 500Go SATA 6Gbit/s 2,5" with Flash 8Go

I received it with Window 8, because I've no choice with Dell, but I need now to install Kubuntu LTS 64. Not alongside but only Kubuntu.

I'm just confused on how to partition disks for installation. Could someone help me for the best partioning and installation ?

I downloaded Kubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit and created a usb boot. But before installing I'll be sure about best partioning.

I don't know if you need further informations about hardware ?

Thanks in advance for your help and experience.

Best regards
    Ludovic

Take a look at this https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Comment

Nice laptop! I'm in the market for that model later on this year. You'll have to keep me posted as to how to goes for you. Did you get the 4K screen?

Anyway: The "standard" install these days is 3 partitions: swap, root, and home. If you wish to use a more modern filesystem; with btrfs you would not need a separate home or backup partitions. In the past, I would advise a separate temp partition but not anymore. Drive space is cheap and (K)Ubuntu has gotten better with managing the temp space.

With 750GB total you have a lot of room for a laptop. I don't know anything about those hybrid disks, so you'll have to search for info there.

With that much disk space, I always recommend at least one extra partition for a backup install or even 2. Since a fully loaded Kubuntu install will almost never get larger than 12-14GB, you have room for several.

IMO, this is how I would set up your laptop:

SSD drive:
      partition 1 : EFI (keep current EFI partition)
      partition 2 : swap (same size as RAM)
      partition 3 : Kubuntu root install (aka "/"), 20GB
      partition 4 : Backup install 1, 20GB
      partition 5 : Backup install 2, 20GB
      partition 6 : /home (all that's remaining)

On the hard drive, I would format it as a single partition and use it to store music, videos, pictures, backups, etc. Anything you didn't use everyday.

With this setup, you could have your daily Kubuntu install, a backup of it that was bootable and ready to go in case of a problem, and another distro (or the beta version of the next Kubuntu ) to play with, and still have like 160GB or more for your home, plus extra storage on the hard drive.

One thing to consider: When you buy a new laptop from Dell, they're going to expect you to have Winblows on it if you call in for service. You might want to migrate the windows install to the hard drive at least until you're out of warranty (if that's even possible)
      Last edited by oshunluvr; May 23, 2014, 03:25 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

if windows 8 came on it, the only caveat is that you will need a small EFI partition, because your PC is likely setup to boot in EFI mode.

I would just put the swap on the rotational drive since it will almost never be used. One thing to check though is what kind of hybrid disk is it and does it require a windows specific driver to function.

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          if windows 8 came on it, the only caveat is that you will need a small EFI partition, because your PC is likely setup to boot in EFI mode.

I would just put the swap on the rotational drive since it will almost never be used. One thing to check though is what kind of hybrid disk is it and does it require a windows specific driver to function.
          Good point on the efi partition, forgot about that (above post fixed!).

I'm not sure I agree on the swap thing. 8 or 16GB isn't a ton of space out of 256 and if you hibernate or suspend, it will be used. IMO, swapping, hibernating, suspending, are all usually slow processes. Why not use the fastest storage location for them?

Totally agree on the hybrid drive. You might end up with 3 "drives" with the cache SSD portion only usable as an SSD.
          Last edited by oshunluvr; May 23, 2014, 03:29 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks to all !

Hi everybody,

Thanks a lot for your quick answers. It was very helpfull and I've now installed kubuntu 14.04 on my laptop with disk partitions like this :

SSD drive:
            partition 1 : EFI 200MB
            partition 2 : swap 16MB
            partition 3 : Kubuntu root "/", 20GB
            partition 4 : Backup install 1, 20GB
            partition 6 : /home (all remaining)

and hybrid HDD for all my projects datas and private videos, photos & music.

Nice forum ... and nice advices.

Regards,
            Ludovic

Comment

Hi oshunluvr,

Find below all my Dell Precision M3800 configuration. It's in french but I think you could understand the most important ;-)

Dell Precision M3800 Base BTX
              Precision M3800 (CA001PM38009MUMWS)
              4ème génération Intel® Core? i7-4702HQ Processeur (6M Cache, jusqu'à 3.20 GHz)
              Écran 15,6" LED tactile rétroéclairé avec Truelife et résolution QHD+ (3200 x 1880)
              Keyboard palmrest, 81 key
              Dell Precision matériel fret
              16Go (2x8Go) 1600MHz DDR3L
              Minicarte Pleine hauteur 256Go SSD Minicarte Pleine hauteur
              Disque dur hybride 500Go SATA 6Gbit/s 2,5" avec disque Flash 8Go
              Windows 8 Live Essentials
              130W adapateur CA
              Dell 61 WHr 6-Cell Lithium-Ion Battery
              Swiss Power Cord
              Hard Disk Drive Bracket with Cable for Mobile Precision M3800
              Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 Processor Label
              Dell M3800 System Badge
              Nvidia Quadro K1100M
              Dell Adaptateur - USB 2 vers Gigabit Ethernet (PXE)
              Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 + Bluetooth
              Intel WIDI Driver
              Intel Wireless 7260 Driver
              Clavier interne suisse Qwertz rétroéclairé
              Windows 8.1 Pro (64Bit) English
              OS Recovery DVD not Included
              Microsoft Office 2013 Version d'évaluation
              Dell Backup and Recovery Édition de base (BURA G2) 1.6
              Applications Dell pour Windows 8
              System Drivers for Mobile Precision M3800

Comment

Can you tell if widnows 8 is installed to teh 500gb drive or 256gb SSD?

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
                  Can you tell if widnows 8 is installed to teh 500gb drive or 256gb SSD?
                  Win8 was installed on 256GB SSD drive. But I've formatted it to install only Kubuntu 14.04 64

Comment

Originally posted by lbonivento View Post
                    Win8 was installed on 256GB SSD drive. But I've formatted it to install only Kubuntu 14.04 64
                    There are a few things to check. Make sure your laptop can boot from the mini SATA SSD. If win 8 installed it's EFI partition on the SSD, you should be fine. Intel also has several technologies related to SSD caching, trusted computing, management, security, etc... I would just disable them all. Also I would boot from the LiveCD first to make sure all your peripherals are supported, like wireless and Bluetooth. Also, you have a very high resolution screen, Make sure Kubuntu doesn't look miniscule on the desktop. I use it on 1920x1200 screen and it's OK.

Comment

Working...
                    X