Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alt+F12 I think. Not at my PC, so can't verify.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Close, shift-alt-F12

"I am proudest of my ability to remain focused on the task at ha... OH! SQUIRREL!" --Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        Alt+F12 I think. Not at my PC, so can't verify.
        No I need the
        Code:
        Command to type into the Terminal
        At the Boot screen That says Try or Install. I can press Ctrl+alt+F2 and access the Terminal.
        Rob

Comment

Let it go to a desktop (the Try option), then hit alt-shift-f12 to disable effects. From there you can proceed with the install

The key combo might work at the try/install prompt.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Let it go to a desktop (the Try option), then hit alt-shift-f12 to disable effects. From there you can proceed with the install

The key combo might work at the try/install prompt.
            It never makes it to the desktop, when it goes to the desktop, I get this pretty blue screen with diagnal lines, and Ctrl+Alt+F12 does not do anything.

Can you answer my question on the Command?

Do you know what the command is to turn off Effects? I did a search, but what I came up with did not work.
            Rob

Comment

Try from a console:
              Code:
              kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false
              If that doesn't work (and I don't know if KDE needs to be running for it to work) you might be able to get the same effect by adding the lines
              Code:
              [Compositing]
              Enabled=false
              Or change Enabled if it's already there, etc.

to the file
              Code:
              ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
              Restart the whole shebang with
              Code:
              sudo service lightdm restart
              Or reboot as is your preference.
              Last edited by JillSwift; Apr 21, 2014, 04:55 PM. Reason: oops, I keep forgetting details.Lots of details.

"I am proudest of my ability to remain focused on the task at ha... OH! SQUIRREL!" --Me

Comment

Originally posted by Robtygart View Post
                It never makes it to the desktop, when it goes to the desktop, I get this pretty blue screen with diagnal lines, and Ctrl+Alt+F12 does not do anything.

Can you answer my question on the Command?

I did, but you didn't listen
                alt-shift-f12

Just tested this, at the beginning where you choose to try or install, this key combo disables desktop effects.

Ii don't know if it will work from a vt (the full-screen ctrl-alt-fxx command prompt) as I don't off the top of my head know how to specify which "screen" has kwin running in the command, but there is this if you can open a konsole window:
                Code:
                qdbus org.kde.kwin /KWin org.kde.KWin.toggleCompositing

Comment

Originally posted by JillSwift View Post
                  Try:
                  Code:
                  kwriteconfig --file kwinrc --group Compositing --key Enabled false
                  If that doesn't work (and I don't know if KDE needs to be running for it to work) you might be able to get the same effect by adding the lines
                  Code:
                  [Compositing]
                  Enabled=false
                  Or change Enabled if it's already there, etc.

to the file
                  Code:
                  ~/.kde/share/config/kwinrc
                  Restart the whole shebang with
                  Code:
                  sudo service lightdm restart
                  Or reboot as is your preference.
                  This will work, but you would have to stop kwin first, then reload it - hence the need for a konsole window
                  kquitapp plasma-desktop
                  kwin --replace

Also note that unless the live session has persistence enabled when it was created, these config settings likely won't stick on a reboot of the installer, or restart of lightdm
                  Last edited by claydoh; Apr 21, 2014, 04:51 PM.

Comment

Dangit, I forgot this was in the context of the liveCD/USB installer.

Comment

It *might* stick through a restart of lightdm, though.

Comment

Just tested manually editing on my laptop, and:
                        • "Enabled" isn't in the very basic config, you have to add it manually.
                        • It sticks through a lightdm restart
                        • You may want to also change "OpenGLIsUnsafe" to true

To get back to the GUI, that's on console 7 (ctrl-alt-F7)

=^_^=
                        Last edited by JillSwift; Apr 21, 2014, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I'm curious, what GPU do you have anyway? Alt+Shift+F12 got the live session working for me
                          Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I guess you could always do a CLI-Based server install, then a 'sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop'
                            Registered Linux User 545823

Comment

I will keep on working on it. Thanks for all the suggestions....
                              Rob

Comment

Claydoh alt-shift-f12 worked for me after such a long time trying and searching web. I was trying to install 14.04 on pc with geforce 6600 GT graphics card and everytime the cd booted to the desktop I had garbled graphics and no panel. I could click on the install icon but only reached as far as disk partitioning and then the install stalled with graphics pixelated. Tried your suggestion an instantly worked. Thanks but its a pity that in 2014 that a known issue is not fixed, no mention of it, as far as I could see on kubuntu web site. This is a potential put off for anyone trying kubuntu. Now I hope I can install nvidia driver after install.

Comment

Working...
                                X