This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Usual Nvidia Complaint

I am installing 14.04 to my other cumpuer using a USB.

Before I can install 14.04 I need to install my graphic drivers. Is there anyway to install the Nvida driver "Nvida-current" to the USB
    Rob

Is this an upgrade or a fresh install? You don't need to install the nvidia driver, and certainly not before you install 14.04. It will default to the nouveau driver during install which is perfectly functional, and offer to download and install the proprietary nvidia driver if you want. This is only an issue if this computer isn't connected to the internet.

Comment

Well thats not true, if it was I would have 14.04 installed.

You need the driver FIRST before you can see any of the installation boxes. So can you answer my question or not?
      Rob

Comment

Bendy answered your question. Allow the system to build using the Nouveau driver. Once the build is complete, then replace Nouveau with the nVidia binary driver.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
          Bendy answered your question. Allow the system to build using the Nouveau driver. Once the build is complete, then replace Nouveau with the nVidia binary driver.
          No Steve he did not!!! Read my first and second post again!!!!!! Does it look like he answerd my question?

I can't read any of the dilog boxes that allows me to install, it is because of the graphic drivers / "Desktop Effects"
          Last edited by Robtygart; Apr 19, 2014, 03:11 PM.
          Rob

Comment

What do you see when you boot the machine from the USB? A blank screen? A screen containing illegible text or graphics? You haven't given us much to help you with.

Comment

VGA Boot modes to set screen resolution

A simple way to set your screen resolution and color depth for most Live Linux distro's is via the use of the vga=parameter boot option. For example at boot you might type: Live vga=795. This would set your system to boot using the Live label with a screen resolution to 24bit 1280X1024. Here are some more examples of common vga boot values.

VGA Resolution and Color Depth reference Chart:
              Depth 800×600 1024×768 1152×864 1280×1024 1600×1200
              8 bit vga=771 vga=773 vga=353 vga=775 vga=796
              16 bit vga=788 vga=791 vga=355 vga=794 vga=798
              24 bit vga=789 vga=792 vga=795 vga=799
              Isn't this still relevant? You boot using the generic VGA adapter; install; reboot and select/install proprietary video drivers.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
                What do you see when you boot the machine from the USB? A blank screen? A screen containing illegible text or graphics? You haven't given us much to help you with.

The first screen I see is "Try or Install" after chooseing install, the dialog boxes will disappear, you can see an outline of the box but you can see anything to choose.

When I click try, it never loads, or I will get a messed up garbled screen of blue with lines.

I had the same problem with 13.10 but I somehow got the driver installed in the terminal Ctrl+alt+F2 or I got the effects turned off. (I can't remember now )
                Last edited by Robtygart; Apr 19, 2014, 04:04 PM.
                Rob

Comment

It appears that the kernel is unable to determine what graphics mode to place your card in. There's a way to supply the nomodeset parameter during the installation process, but it escapes me at the moment. I can check later when my band finishes busking at a local geek convention. Or someone else here may chine in.

Comment

Thanks Steve, I will do a search for "nomodeset parameter".
                    Rob

Comment

Another thing you want to include in a question about graphics is the model of video card your computer has.
                      No that it helps you but it is unusual to see the nouveau driver fail.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        Another thing you want to include in a question about graphics is the model of video card your computer has.
                        No that it helps you but it is unusual to see the nouveau driver fail.
                        Code:
                        $ lspci -k | grep vga -iA2                                                                                                                                
                        00:05.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation C51 [GeForce 6150 LE] (rev a2)
                                Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 2a34                                                                                                                
                                Kernel driver in use: nvidia
                        Rob

Comment

Thanks, at least it is supported by an nVidia driver, now to boot up...

I have a silly old computer where I first installed the server version, so text only
                          and then after boot installed the desktop, is that an option for you?
                          Last edited by Teunis; Apr 20, 2014, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Um, a SAWG: please try the kernel parameter nox2apic. Does this allow your computer to boot properly?

Comment

Hey I have an idea!!!

All I really need to do is get the "Desktop Effects" turned off, That is the real reason that the dialog boxes are disparaging...

Do you know what the command is to turn off Effects? I did a search, but what I came up with did not work.
                              Rob

Comment

Working...
                              X