This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oops I goofed

I accidentally pushed the version upgrade button in Muon Updater, so I immediately rebooted. I'm still with 14.04 but Muon Updater now wants to do a bunch of 16.04 upgrades - I've tried 16.04 on my laptop and really don't like it or want it.
    Does anyone have an idea on how to reset the update info so I don't have to complete the 16.04 update and then re-install 14.04 - it would be such a pain to get my system re-established .
    Ron Springer

The command
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    should clear the apt cache and remove all those updates it had downloaded before you quit. I t will also clear every package you downloaded to install or upgrade. The packages themselves will still be installed though.
    systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
    Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

the apt-get clean didn't do anything - I don't think it ever got to the package download section. The system was just in the setup phase and has set a list (partial maybe) of what it needed to do. I ran apt-get dselect-upgrade and got a list of many changes that I aborted until I find out more about that function.
      note: I just registered today and even though it says 'newbie', I have been running versions of Linux for about 15 years - but I'm definitely not an expert.

Comment

Just an idea but maybe try resetting your /etc/apt/sources.list entries to the default for 14.04 might work.

The easiest way would be to start Muon (or even Muon Discover) and choose "Configure Software Sources". On the "Other Software" tab click on the Reset button at the bottom. Hopefully that will reset the repos to "trusty". Then, to avoid similar blunders in future, on the "Updates" tab at the bottom "Release upgrade" change the selection to "Never" as I have (I've never done an upgrade that way anyway and prefer the clean install method).

Then do the usual sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade taking note of what packages it wants to upgrade (hopefully just 14.04 stuff).
        Desktop PC: Intel Core-i5-4670 3.40Ghz, 16Gb Crucial ram, Asus H97-Plus MB, 128Gb Crucial SSD + 2Tb Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 HDD running Kubuntu 18.04 LTS and Kubuntu 14.04 LTS (on SSD).
        Laptop: HP EliteBook 8460p Core-i5-2540M, 4Gb ram, Transcend 120Gb SSD, currently running Deepin 15.8 and Manjaro KDE 18.

Comment

I haven't needed or tried it, but this might be helpful...

https://launchpad.net/ppa-purge

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            I haven't needed or tried it, but this might be helpful...

https://launchpad.net/ppa-purge
            If that doesn't work try the commands on this page
            https://www.cyberciti.biz/howto/debi...t-get-upgrade/
            systemd is not for me. I am a retro Nintendo gamer. consoles I play on are, SNES; N64; GameCube and WII.
            Host: mx Kernel: 4.19.0-6-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc v: 8.3.0 Desktop: Trinity R14.0.8 tk: Qt 3.5.0 info: kicker wm: Twin 3.0 base: Debian GNU/Linux 10

Comment

I've not been able to work on the problem for a couple of days, but I learned a couple of things for sure today: 1 - the reset sources trick in Muon did nothing, it kept the xenial settings
              2 - if the APT log is the only one I have to look at then NO upgrades were ever performed
              3 - deleting all references to xenial in /etc/apt/sources.list seemed to clean up the Muon Updater, but 'apt-get update' still has references to xenial
              4 - I found a folder /var/log/dist-upgrade but don't know how to evaluate it except to find that the time-stamp is 12/06/16 11:44 AM, I can find NO ref to any downloads/updates being performed.
              I have not tried the ppa-purge, and the roll-back suggestion (www.cyberciti.biz) is what led me to item 2 above which then obviously would not help. If I can clean up whatever is causing 'apt-get update' to find refs to xenial, I think that I will be out-of-the-woods 
              RonS

Comment

Originally posted by RonS1938 View Post
                3 - deleting all references to xenial in /etc/apt/sources.list seemed to clean up the Muon Updater, but 'apt-get update' still has references to xenial
                Do you have any .list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

If you do, they too, would have been changed to reflect xenial and will have to be changed back.
                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There are a number of files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
                  3.list that is 0 length dated today
                  select-editor.list that is 0 length dated today
                  11 sets of 3 - someapp.list, someapp.list.distupgrade, and someapp.list.save -- someapp.list.distupgrade is time-stamped the same as my oops and the others are dated today when I updated the sources in Muon Discover
                  xenial is NOT mentioned in any of the someapp.list.distupgrade files but exists in 7 of the someapp.list and corresponding someapp.list.save files, usually with the comment '# disabled on upgrade to xenial'.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                    Do you have any .list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

If you do, they too, would have been changed to reflect xenial and will have to be changed back.
                    ----------------
                    Thank you - I finally felt confident enough to edit / delete some of those files and my OOPS appears to be totally gone. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and you can believe that I'll be more careful in the future.
                    RonS

Comment

Working...
                    X