Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You have a butt load of older kernels insrtalled, and they take up a significant amount of disk space. Do as apt is telling you to remove them and the no-longer needed packages by running:

sudo apt-get autoremove

Then run:

sudo apt-get update

to ensure the package cache is fully up to date.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Started auto remove one then will do update, thank you for the help mate you are a LEGEND.

I had this problem for ages and couldn't find the answer anywhere online and few sites said it was a bug on the system and quite a few people had the same problem.

Isn't Linux meant to auto remove the old kernels and update the package cache or is it just my problem what stopped it from doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by ZACHSP8 View Post
        Isn't Linux meant to auto remove the old kernels and update the package cache or is it just my problem what stopped it from doing it?
        No. Linux doesn't remove anything without you giving explicit permission to do so. The removal of 'unneeded' packages -- those on the system that are no longer required/used by any other package -- have to be removed by the command specified. This is part of basic system maintenance by you, the user.

Thank you for the praise, but it really isn't warranted. I'm a user, just like yourself, and while I may know more than you, that's only because I've been using Kubuntu Linux since early 2007. I am by no means an expert. I ask questions here. I used to ask a lot more very early on, but not so much now. My systems (I have five: two laptops, and three virtual machines (Oracle VirtualBox) running on my iMac) are very well maintained, and I ensure that they are. And again, all because of what I've learned. Keep a notebook, or start a log of what you learn, and you too will become more and more confident in using and running Linux.

And I'll strongly suggest that you start doing package management from the konsole and not use any GUI application to do so. Why? Because you 'see more' from the konsole as to what is happening, and at times, will be prompted for a response that you might not see/be presented with in the GUI app. I perform system maintenance every time I log in to my systems.

Once logged in, open a konsole and type:

sudo apt-get update

This checks for and updates package information.

When that is completed, type:

sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

This will pull down and configure/install any packages that have been identified as 'updated'. During package configuration, you 'might' see information about existing configurations that the dist-upgrade also contains, and you will be prompted as to the action "you" want taken. The default response is N (you want to keep the existing configuration). You have to either press Enter (accept the default) or type in the letter of the action "you" want to happen. Again, accepting the default is almost always (especially if you "don't know") what you want.

Sometimes there will be indications that one or more packages couldn't be installed/configured due to some issue, usually a dependency problem. When this happens, you will be told what command to run to 'try and fix the problem'. On a well maintained system, this is will happen rarely.

If you are in doubt, just come here and ask. We have plenty of helpful members who will assist as they are able. Keep in mind though, everybody here are users just like you. Nobody is a paid professional of Kubuntu Forums . Net. We are users and advocates for Kubuntu Linux, and the experience level runs the gamut.

Welcome to our Forum. I think you'll like it here.
        Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 06, 2016, 04:58 PM.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
        X