X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LiveDVD Fix??

All,

Has a fix been made to the LiveDVD code to allow it to enter into the following modes:

1. Upgrade (for any other detected Kubuntu/Ubuntu version)?
    2. Recovery (to fix current problems, such as aptitude error that exists in current release)?

Please inform! I'm stuck! The failure to bounce to "Recovery" and the current release aptitude issue has me where I can not fix anything on my laptop!

Notes:
    When I applied "Upgrade" from 12.04 to 14.04, because of the missing "upgrade" option, my HD was divided into 2 partitions and lacking the "upgrade" option, the install failed requiring another run from the LiveDVD, which with the missing "Recovery" option again divided my HD, so now I have 3 partitions.

CLI cmd "locate" is not working right, so can not "see" the 2nd and 3rd partitions so moving data from the original partition to get this fully running is impossible.

Additionally the current release I'm running ver 14.04.13.3 still has the aptitude error, saying packages are held, when they are not.

Therfore automatic upgrades and any attempt inside the system cannot fix this issue.

So the only solution is insert the LiveDVD and enter "Recovery", but that is impossible because the latest info I have is there is no "Recovery" option on 14.04, unless I'm wrong or a new release is out with the "Recovery" mode enabled!

Cheers!

OMR
    Last edited by OldManRiver; Oct 31, 2014, 11:13 AM.

"recovery" mode would be useless on a LiveDVD as you can't edit or change anything on it. You can't boot a DVD to recovery mode and then "recover" an installation on another drive or hard disk. If you need recovery mode on an install, you have to boot to that install in recovery mode. Additionally, a liveDVD is not a method to upgrade an existing install. That too must be done from the install. All you can do from a liveDVD is run live or do a completely new install.

If your problem is held packages, the fix isn't recovery mode anyway. sudo apt-get install -f will usually work.

The way to upgrade a current install is boot to the install and then run sudo do-release-upgrade or select it in Muon.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X