This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zahtar View Post
    I am in the .kde folder. Do I need to rm the entire kde folder or just sone parts of it? I have no idea how safe this is, thats why I am asking...
    The worst that can happen is that you loose your desktop settings.

If you are squeamish create a new user from the command line and try to login to the new account.

sudo adduser test

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for helping man. Here goes:

Created new user, this time was asked for passsord, work full name and other data. Entered a password, everythinf else default. Sudo restart kdm gets me back to the lgin screen. Entering the new account info, got the bkack screen wirh pointer as described in post #1. Will retry, this time in failsafe mode. Any other ideas? I keep thinking of the fglrx drivers...

Comment

Try to enter your home directory and erase a random file without sudo privileges.

Comment

I tried "failsafe", "kde", "default" and got the sams results as in post #1.

As you said, I entered my home folder, documents, and edited a file via "nano". Saved successfully, so I can write without sudo priviledges while in command line.

Comment

I don't know about nvidia hardware. For amd the package to purge is called fglrx.

Comment

So I'd be entering a command like "sudo purge fglrx"? Would I have to edit menu.lst or xorg.conf?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                In the console try:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get install -f
                sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
                You 'might' need to repeat this more than once.
                Yes, I did need it to try this more than once!

First attempt asked me to download loads of MB again, reboot, no good. Then I made some searching, almost deleted the .kde folder. Before that, I tried:
                Code:
                sudo apt-get purge fglrx
                then back to login screen, no good. Then "sudo apt-get install -f", "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" once again. Said need to download 0B / 800MB. (So does it need to or not?) Said ok, reboot, and noticed now that the grub menu had changed! Different kernel and a new attempt.

Default session gave me the same as before, kde worked! Saw splash screen, logged in, and now posting from my new kubuntu

I'll do an upgrade that the system asks me to "There is a new version of Kubuntu available" (hmmm, thought 14.04 was the newest), reboot and if everything works ok, I'll mark as solved.

EDIT:
                Ok, things seem to be working in order! I am not sure wether it was the removal of the fglrz drivers or the repeated commands snowhog suggested, but my system is now back on track. Thank you everyone for your time, the current issue is now consider solved
                Last edited by zahtar; May 24, 2014, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Yes, I did need it to try this more than once!

First attempt asked me to download loads of MB again, reboot, no good. Then I made some searching, almost deleted the .kde folder. Before that, I tried:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get purge fglrx
                  then back to login screen, no good. Then "sudo apt-get install -f", "sudo apt-get update", "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" once again. Said need to download 0B / 800MB. (So does it need to or not?) Said ok, reboot, and noticed now that the grub menu had changed! Different kernel and a new attempt.

Default session gave me the same as before, kde worked! Saw splash screen, logged in, and now posting from my new kubuntu

I'll do an upgrade that the system asks me to "There is a new version of Kubuntu available" (hmmm, thought 14.04 was the newest), reboot and if everything works ok, I'll mark as solved.

EDIT:
                  Ok, things seem to be working in order! I am not sure wether it was the removal of the fglrz drivers or the repeated commands snowhog suggested, but my system is now back on track. Thank you everyone for your time, the current issue is now consider solved

It may the case that DKMS was unable rebuild your proprietary AMD drivers after the upgrade. By purging fglrx you may have restored your open source drivers.

Would you mind posting the output of the following command:

Code:
                  inxi -Fx

Comment

Yes I believe that purging the fglrx made the trick. I had followed a specific guide to install the proprietary drivers and not just by the System Settings menu, as this offers an old version. It seems that upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04 messed things up. I did restore the open source drivers and until a few hours ago I was running on them. Now used the system settings icon to install the proprietary again. As for the current state of graphics,

Code:
                    Graphics:  Card: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD/ATI] BeaverCreek [Radeon HD 6550D] bus-ID: 00:01.0 
                               X.Org: 1.15.1 drivers: ati,fglrx (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,radeon) Resolution: 1920x1080@60.0hz 
                               GLX Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 6550D GLX Version: 4.3.12798 - CPC 13.35.1005 Direct Rendering: Yes

Comment

As a general rule, any version of the fglrx driver is not forward compatible with future kernel versions. If you update your kernel, you should previously update the fglrx driver to a version that supports the new kernel.

As a side note, the current open source driver has a very good video acceleration support. If you install the vdpau libraries, you can get accelerated mpeg2 and 4 playback in xbmc. Fglrx is still better for 3d acceleration.

I have a a8 3850 for which I just use the open source driver. I use fglrx for my 7870.

Comment

Nice tip about the fglrx incompatibility! Thnx, I'll try to keep it in mind

I don't have a dedicated vga, I just use the embedded graphics every now and then for some ooooold games, so I'm fine with the apu alone. But that does require having fglrx...

Comment

Nice tip about the fglrx incompatibility! Thnx, I'll try to keep it in mind

I don't have a dedicated vga, I just use the embedded graphics every now and then for some ooooold games, so I'm fine with the apu alone. But that does require having fglrx...
                          What's your APU? Llano, trinity and Richland series run fine on the default driver.

Comment

Working...
                          X