X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login Screen loop/hang after upgrade from 12.04

Hello everyone!

I have managed to mess up with my installation and I am in need of help. I decided to upgrade to 14.04. Unfortunately it seems I did it "the wrong way". I used a command that I can't remember or find again in the web:

Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    Muon asked me to download lots of MB (>700) in order to upgrade. Accepted. Now I get a login screen (new look) I enter username-password and I get three possible results:

a) for a "default" session, I get a black screen with mouse pointer. The pointer moves normally, when I reach the top left of the screen it shows a quarter of a small coloured circle (green blue) at the size of the mouse pointer. Clicking does nothing.
    b) for a "kde" session, I get the wallpaper of the login screen (its colourful background I mean), the mouse pointer moving normally, and no clicking or anything, no activity in the top left corner.
    c) for a "failsafe" session. I get a black screen for 1-2 seconds and then back to the login screen where I enter password etc

Next step: Ctrl Alt F1 (does it differ from Ctrl Alt F2 or Ctrl Alt F3 ?)
    login using my account.
    Code:
    ls
    gives me a directory structure and a list of files that makes me realize that my account is still functional and my files are probably there (still haven't booted with a a live cd to make backups...).

I tried the following:

Boot in recovery mode, dpkg (repair broken packages) asked to download 1700 MB, said ok, reboot, no good.

Boot in recovery mode, shell, enable networking, sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade, reboot, no good. (btw, repositories were trusty, not precise, which I consider a good sign)

Boot in recovery mode, shell, sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop, asked to download >100MB, said ok, reboot, no good.

More attempts:

Code:
    startx
    gives me an error "The xkeyboard keymap compiler (xkbcomp) reports: Symbol map for key redefined. Using last definition for conflicting fields"

Ctrl Alt F1 and I need to press Alt + \rightarrow if I remember correctly to go to the command line.

Code:
    sudo restart kdm
    gets me to the login screen asking for the username/pass.

Googling around, I found this page http://askubuntu.com/questions/22350...n-a-login-loop and tried this command:
    Code:
    ls -ld tmp
    result was:
    Code:
    drwxrwxrwt 16 root 32768 .../tmp
    with the tmp being highlighted. I don't know what the "chmod" command does and I am hesitant if using sudo with something I don't know. So no more moves according to these instructions were made.

Also,
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure kdm
    tried bith lightdm and kdm, let the second as it looks better.

I also found the following page which suggested that proprietary nvidia drivers (I have amd) caused the fuss. Is there a way to purge my amd display drivers for a while and go to open source?
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/44960...up-after-login

Finally, according to this page, I tried creating a new user from command line, but no good (I think I probably haven't created the account correctly, "sudo useradd ****" but didn't specify passwd)
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post299287

I have a different \home partition in the same ssd as the root.

Already downloaded the kubuntu iso and planning to install (which I don't prefer) if other ways dont work.

Sorry for the long post, any suggestions are welcome.Thanks in advance!

Was "sudo apt-get upgrade" a typo? You want "sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" there.

Comment

Hello, thank you for your reply.

It is not a typo, this is a step where I was already trying to fix things. The distribution upgrade was made by the command sudo update-manager -d (I think that was the one). When I entered sudo apt-get update & sudo apt-get upgrade, all repositories were marked trusty, not precise, so the upgrade to 14.04 was already made. I have the impression that the command sudo apt-get dist-upgrade would upgrade from 12.04 to 12.10 and not to 14.04, or at least I read something about a similar command before I entered sudo update-manager -d. Sad thing is that I didn't see the instructions in the kubuntu website, which suggest other commands. In that case I might have not be in the present place...

Comment

In the console try:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install -f
        sudo apt-get update
        sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        You 'might' need to repeat this more than once.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

hello snowhog, thanks for your reply.

may I ask, what does the -f stands for in the sudo apt-get install -f?
          Last edited by zahtar; May 24, 2014, 11:58 AM.

Comment

man apt-get
            Code:
                   -f, --fix-broken
                       Fix; attempt to correct a system with broken dependencies in place. This option, when used with install/remove, can omit any packages to permit APT to deduce a likely
                       solution. If packages are specified, these have to completely correct the problem. The option is sometimes necessary when running APT for the first time; APT itself does not
                       allow broken package dependencies to exist on a system. It is possible that a system's dependency structure can be so corrupt as to require manual intervention (which
                       usually means using dpkg --remove to eliminate some of the offending packages). Use of this option together with -m may produce an error in some situations. Configuration
                       Item: APT::Get::Fix-Broken.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

thanks, I'll give it a try and let you know how it turned out. Should I be prepared for major downloading again (the entire distro)? Or does it depend on what it finds (therefore unable to estimate)?

Comment

The '-f' is for fix. Read all about it with 'man apt-get' at the command line.

You can also read there why you want 'dist-upgrade' instead of just 'upgrade'.

Or the more descriptive command 'sudo apt full-upgrade'.

Comment

thanks ronw :thumbup: I definitely have some reading to do as my knowledge on the matter is superficial to non existent

Comment

From the command line, delete all your kde configuration directories in your home directory:
                    .config
                    .local
                    .kde
                    .dmrc

Comment

Hello there. Thanks for your reply.

How do I see those directories? From dolphin I used to press alt . but from the command line?

Comment

ls -la

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your immediate reply, using tapatalk now as well Just entered ls -a and now ls -la.

I get a list, first line says "total 24". The rest is probably directories colour coded in a different way. Two of them are red, mentioning ksocket and kde-username. And a blue mentioning kdecache. Is it safe to delete these?

Edit: exact paths are:
                          /var/tmp/kdecache-username
                          /tmp/ksocket-username
                          /tmp/kde-username

First one is blue, the other two red.
                          Last edited by zahtar; May 24, 2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zahtar View Post
                            Thanks for your immediate reply, using tapatalk now as well Just entered ls -a and now ls -la.

I get a list, first line says "total 24". The rest is probably directories colour coded in a different way. Two of them are red, mentioning ksocket and kde-username. And a blue mentioning kdecache. Is it safe to delete these?
                            Are you sure you are in your personal home folder. ~

You should see stuff like .kde .mozilla

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I am in the .kde folder. Do I need to rm the entire kde folder or just sone parts of it? I have no idea how safe this is, thats why I am asking...

Comment

Working...
                              X