This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NFS Clients cannot connect to Upgraded NFS server with Ver 14.04

Encouraged by the stability and lack of bugs in 14.04 on two computers, I upgraded all the computers on my LAN to Kubuntu 14.04.

The LAN NFS server was using Kubuntu Ver 12.04 and the clients that were upgraded to 14.04 worked perfectly, but after upgrading the server to Ver 14.04 the clients cannot connect to the server.

The server mounts the shared files but when the clients try to connect the following error message appears:
    Could not mount device
    The reported error was:
    mount: only root can mount 192.168.0.196/export/on/DHLSERVER

I am by no means well versed in networking so I followed the most current instructions I could find at:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpNFSHowTo

NFS4 is the version being used.

The entry in the server fstab that mounts the share is:
    #mount exports for NFS
    /home/mac /export/dhlsrvr none bind 0 0

This looks like a simple case of setting permissions but I have played around with permissions to no avail to the point where I am chasing my tail. I know I will feel stupid when I find the answer

Can someone with more network experience suggest some things I can check?

Thanks
    Volunteer OS Installer and Supporter for New Linux Users.
    So much to learn.... So little time!

How are you mounting? Just clicking on the name in dolphin?

I use 12.04 Ubuntu server, nfs V4 and V3 mounts, and I mount using fstab entries. Obviously, only root and issue mount commands, but you can use the users option in fstab to allow it. I'm not at my Kubuntu machine at the moment, but I'll post more tonight.

Please Read Me

Comment

Try adding "user" to fstab, on the line where you have 192.168.0.196/export/on/DHLSERVER.

Comment

I tried adding "user" to the server's fstab line that should mount the directory but on re-boot fstab reported an error so I removed "user".
        Possibly I was not using the correct syntax.
        The line currently is:
        /home/mac /export/dhlsrvr none bind 0 0
        please give me the correct syntax to add "user" or should it be "users"? to the above line so that the system will not choke on it.

With the original fstab mount line, the server's " /export" directory contains a sub directory "dhlsrvr" and that directory contains the server's /home files as it should in this case but the client machines cannot mount the supposedly exported server directory.

Comment

The mounting in question is done on the client, not the server. How are you trying to mount on the client-side?

Please Read Me

Comment

Here's my setup for your reference:

Code:
            smith@server:~$ cat /etc/fstab
            ---snip---
            /media/videos /media/shared/Videos bind bind
            Code:
            smith@server:~$ cat /etc/exports
            /media/shared 192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=560)
            /media/shared/Videos 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=560)
            /backups 192.168.1.0/24(rw,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash,anonuid=1000,anongid=34)
            Code:
            stuart@office:~$ cat /etc/fstab
            ---snip---
            #Server main media exports
            server://media/shared                     /shared         nfs bg,soft,users,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime 0 0
            server://backups                          /backups/server nfs bg,soft,users,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,noatime 0 0
            Code:
            stuart@office:~$ sudo showmount --exports server
            Export list for server:
            /backups             192.168.1.0/24
            /media/shared/Videos 192.168.1.0/24
            /media/shared        192.168.1.0/24
            This is a fixed IP server and desktop setup. On my laptop, I have "noauto" so it doesn't search for the mount if we're not at home. Also, my server is internal network only so I'm sure it's not the most secure setup if you're exposed to the 'net.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; May 19, 2014, 07:26 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have my LAN behind a router so it is not unduly exposed. Security has not been a concern
              Here is the line that previously worked in the client fstab

#NFS4 mount above
              192.168.0.196/export/ /DHLSERVER nfs4 _netdev,auto 0 0

Comment

Why not try putting user in that line in the client fstab? Like this
                Code:
                192.168.0.196/export/ /DHLSERVER nfs4 _netdev,auto,user 0 0

Comment

That was the way it was in the previous setup but stopped working with the installation of Kubuntu 14.04
                  I set up the server exactly the way it was before the upgrade to 14.04 but it did not work.
                  Then I tried setting up the server according to three different sets of instructions I found but non of them worked.
                  I kept getting the same message when I tried to log in.

I guess that when I have a half day to spare I will have to start from scratch and re-install everything.

Comment

You mean "user" was the client fstab in previous setup? Is it in there now? I am talking about the client, not the server.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

OK the problem is solved. I have to eat crow and apologize for even starting this thread. This is what happens when people get in a hurry and work is piling up and I just starting reacting rather than taking a breath and analysing the problem.

It was simple a matter of one dropped character on the server upgrade. The server's export was supposed to be named "dhlserver" and I inadvertently typed it as "dhlsrver". I must have looked at that a dozen times and in my rush to get the system up I overlooked the fact that one "e" was missing. The error messages did not identify the problem other than saying that the fstab command on the clients did not have root permission to mount the share.

That is no excuse..... I have written hundreds of thousands of lines of code over the years; I know how literal code must be so I should have taken the time to check character by character..

Sorry for wasting the time of this forum but maybe it will serve as a reminder to somebody else not to yell for help until they have thoroughly checked their own work.

Comment

No waste of anyones time, and of course, we all have "been there; done that".
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          No waste of anyones time, and of course, we all have "been there; done that".
                          +1

Comment

Working...
                          X