This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing wlan drives

I have read many posts on this subject but can't figure it out.
    I have a PC running Kubuntu 14.04 and have just acquired a laptop also running K14.04. They are both on the same wlan.
    How can I make each HD available to the other?

If you have no need of windows file sharing, NFS is the best way to share files over a network, use SAMBA if you also want windows file sharing. If you want full access (more than just file sharing - like executing commands on the other computer) then SSH is the way to go.

Assuming you're just looking to access files, there's a couple different ways to set up NFS. Basically, an NFS server allows access to files and an NFS client accesses NFS servers to share files. If you wish to be able to share files from either computer to either computer they both need to be NFS servers.

A couple different scenarios:

1) PC acts as server. Laptop is client only. PC hosts shared folder(s) and laptop accesses those folders. PC can't access laptop files.
    2) Both act a server and client. Some folder(s) can be accessed from either computer.

How do you envision you would use these two computers together? Is the laptop going to travel with you often and would you want all the files available all the time - even when the laptop is on the road?

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the response. Scenario 1 is what I'm aiming for and the laptop would access the server PC on wifi only.

Comment

So basically, you need to setup NFS server on the desktop pc and then mount the NFS export on the laptop. I assume you're the only user of both machines and you don't share your network so your security needs are low. Here's the simplest NFS guide I've ever seen: https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/server...le-system.html

Try it out and report back if you have trouble. I'm in the middle of a project, but will have some time in the evenings if you need help.

Please Read Me

Comment

I had first tried following :- https://mostlylinux.wordpress.com/network/nfshowto/ which has an amazing 12 step procedure.
          The link you sent me was much more simple. (https://help.ubuntu.com/14.04/server...le-system.html)
          It pointed me in the right direction. The new Kubuntu install on the laptop was behaving strangely si I made a fresh install, installed nfs-common then ran:-
          Code:
          sudo mount 192.168.x.yy:/home/serverusername /home/laptop/serverfolder
          And it worked! The syntax for mounting took a little time.
          Thanks again

Comment

Wow, you got that figured out quickly! Good job

Did you put it into your fstab so it's there at boot up?

I use these fstab mount options, but both my PCs are desktops:
            bg,soft,users,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,noatime

and I use these export options:
            rw,no_subtree_check,async,secure,nohide,all_squash ,anonuid=1000,anongid=34

If you're the only user on both system, you don't need the anonuid or gid options.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well now I'm struggling.
              My setup at the moment is with the laptop as client and the pc as server,
              Have edited fstab in a number of ways, all without success.
              A the moment it looks like this:-
              Code:
              //192.168.ip.addr/:/home/bill/ /home/bill-laptop/pc-server nfs ro,user
              On reboot the laptop Dolphin has a place name for the server, but I get the following error:-
              Code:
              An error occurred while accessing ':/home/bill/ on 192.168.1.12', the system responded: mount.nfs: Failed to resolve server //192.168.1.12/: Name or service not known
              This code mounts the server OK:-
              Code:
              sudo mount 192.168.ip.address:/home/bill/ /home/bill-laptop/pc-server
              Any ideas?

Comment

Too many slashes I think. Try this in fstab:

192.168.ip.addr:/home/bill /home/bill-laptop/pc-server nfs ro,user 0 0

If your PC has a properly defined hostname, you can use that instead of the IP address, like:

hostname:/home/bill /home/bill-laptop/pc-server nfs ro,user 0 0

BTW, you realize that "ro" means read-only? No editing or deleting files on the PC from the laptop. Seems restrictive for a home environment so I wanted to be sure that's what you want.

Please Read Me

Comment

Mine looks like this:

server://media/shared /shared nfs bg,soft,users,rsize=65536,wsize=65536,noatime 0 0

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for all the help oshunluvr.
                    Have been busy with other stuff. Have just tried your suggested setting for fstab and it works fine.
                    I'll change ro to rw now
                    Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                    X