Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Network Configuration for a Supermicro NAS Server: Lots of Questions.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network Configuration for a Supermicro NAS Server: Lots of Questions.

My main computer specs are in signature and it runs Trusty. The new box is going to be in the same 25U rack as my main computer and I'm considering FreeNAS for the OS. The NAS server uses a Supermicro X9SCL-F and Pentium G2030. This mobo does include IPMI which I want to take full advantage of from my Trusty computer. Now for some questions Like I promised:

1. For static IP addresses (computer and NAS), how should I pick them from my DHCP range? Does it matter?

2. Is it true that the static IP does not have to be in your range and it's better if it isn't? I don't understand this.

3. I have two Ethernet ports on my Trusty machine. I'm connected to my home network using 1 of them as eth0. Can I configure my unused Ethernet port to connect to the NAS IPMI Ethernet port and manage it privately, off the LAN? (yes, I understand I will not be able to remote in, but I prefer this level of security, at least to start with. Later, I'll probably get bolder).

That's good for now. I think I read on this forum that posts should be limited to no more than 3 questions up front so there you go. I have more which I'll tailor to the responses. Thanks so much.
    "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

1. It does not matter.

2. The static IP does not need to be in that IP range. A reason to not use the same range is obscurity.

3. Yes you can use a separte address range for just the link between your other NIC port and the NAS.
    Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Homemade 25U computer rack. Lian-Li rackmount case, ASUS M4N98TD EVO, 8GB RAM, nVidia GTX-650 graphics. Homemade Hard Drive Switch that fits in the top 5.25" drive bay. I select 1 of 3 drives to boot with a rotary switch, before I start the computer. APC-1500 rackmounted UPS.
      I'd like to see a picture of your set up. Sounds impressive.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

"Rotary switch" - wow, old school.

Please Read Me

Comment

Agreed this would be pretty cool to see
          Kubuntu 18.04 on AMD

Comment

Working...
          X