This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One OS; Two Screens

I run 14.04 with a Windows7 VM. My graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 750i. I have two monitors, and both are in portrait orientation. As a general matter, one has my Linux box and the other the WIndows VM. I'm wondering if there is any way for me to extend one of the OSs to cover both screens. (Then I can set up side-by-side full screens in the same OS but with different content). I got in touch with NVIDIA tech support, which said, briefly: "It can't be done." I am reluctant to believe that. Perhaps NVIDIA's card or software won't support it, but I have to say I was not overly impressed with the tech's level of interest. NVIDIA's software does allow me to clone a screen, but then both monitors display exactly the same thing, as one would expect.
    Has anyone encountered (and solved) a similar issue? I'm not wedded to NVIDIA or to this particular card.
    Thanks much.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NvidiaMultiMonitors ??
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
      I'm wondering if there is any way for me to extend one of the OSs to cover both screens. (Then I can set up side-by-side full screens in the same OS but with different content).
      Can you explain what you mean by this? If Windows is in a VM, then it's running on linux right? Which would mean linux is using both screens.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes, unless you have some extra subtleties you haven't mentioned, Linux is dual-screen here.

Getting a VM to use two monitors involves configuring two virtual monitors - then you get two windows - and can put them on different physical monitors

What is your virtualisation software?
        I'd rather be locked out than locked in.

Comment

Working...
        X