This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA grafics driver font-problems on startup

[EDIT]: Title is misleading but not changeable. It turned out to be openGL <-> driver problems [/EDIT]

Hello everyone.

I just subscribed to this forum because I'm running out of ideas and it turns out quite difficult to put this problem into a useful search phrase.

I'll try to explain my problem, if any helpful information is missing I'd be happy to provide it.

This system is effected:
    Laptop Compaq 8510w with Intel Core2duo (T7700) with G84GLM [Quadro FX 570M] (rev a1) grafics, WUXGA resolution (1920x1200)
    Kubuntu 14.04 - 64bit

Due to a stupid thing I installed primus driver and X-Server was broken.
    I uninstalled primus and tried change driver with ubuntu-drivers.
    After a while i could log in again but fonts and sizes were messed up.
    I downloaded and installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run directly from nvidia, switched to console and installed it.
    After starting lightdm again everything looked familiar and everything was working.

Here comes the irritating part:
    If I restart my system login screen appears with messed up fonts again.
    I change to console and restart lightdm, nothing changes.
    If I stop lightdm start the installation of the driver again but only until first question. So I don't accept license agreement and installation aborts.
    I start lightdm again, a fullscreen nvidia logo flickers and my normal login screen appears with fonts and sizes set familiar. I'm not sure if only fonts and sizes are effected.

I would like to skip the part of triggering installation and have a normal login right after startup.
    Does anyone of you has suggestions for me on how to handle this.

Thank you very much in advance.
    Skyfox
    Last edited by Skyfox; Jan 11, 2016, 04:26 PM. Reason: Title is misleading

I don't think video drivers or the DM would change your fonts, more likely it's your resolution that's being changed. With all the driver messing about, you're probably going to have to do some re-installing. Plus, there's really not a lot of useful info in your post to trouble shoot from. For example, I have no idea what this could mean "Due to a stupid thing I installed primus driver and X-Server was broken."

If the laptop has both the Intel and nVidia video available, you might consider turn one of them off in your BIOS is possible. Making them both operate is a bit complicated but usually possible. Generally, the nVidia card will be higher performance but the Intel card will use less power, which translates into better battery life and cooler operation. If you're going to use them both, primus or bumblebee will be required.

Personally, I can't think of a reason to use the binary drivers from nVidia. You'll have to re-install every time you update the kernel, which is a huge inconvenience. I would start by purging those drivers and installing the Ubuntu supplied drivers that utilize dkms.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi oshunluvr,

thanks for your reply.
      Okay, first of all to the stupid thing I did. I installed the primus driver without really knowing what I did. I just wanted to test something.
      My system doesn't support any kind of hybrid GPU, there is only one graphics adapter (G84GLM [Quadro FX 570M] (rev a1)) installed.
      By now I suppose it has something to do with openGL. I've attached a link to screenshots of my desktop right after login in hope it will clarify the problem a bit more.

http://visitmy.selfhost.eu/oc/public.php?service=files&t=6d47f00d746e1af4fb827b6 9bdfd025d

The Pics entitled ResOK* are what I want but only get after stopping lightdm, aborting nvidia installation and starting lightdm again.
      ResSmall* is what I get if directly log in.
      When I completely install nvidia driver it asks me to register to dkms, so kernel update might not be an issue.

I'm looking for a way to completely reinstall nvidia drivers including Glx-extensions.
      glxgears is giving me an error that no extension can be found.

Comment

Working again

Hello everyone.

I really am not sure what really caused the problem but I fixed it.
        What helped in my case was uninstalling everything with
        sudo apt-get remove nvidia-*
        and
        sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
        and then installing the downloaded driver from nvidia
        sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.32.run

Thanks to everyone who put thoughts into this.

Comment

Working...
        X