This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD Optimization

Any tips for optimizing SSD performance under 1404?
    On the win7 side, just ran the cd samsung sent with the drive.
    Anything similiar or just tips on settings appreciated. Been away from Kubuntu for a while. Too busy working fixing other people's dells, hps. and lenovos. Now you know what type of work I do.

Dang small screws!!!

You can have a look over at the Arch Linux wiki if you feel it is to slow. Mine runs pretty good with standard options. At least I'm happy with it.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Solid_State_Drives

Comment

1. Use a proper file system (one with SSD support).
      2. Use relatime option when mounting.
      3. Don't use discard when mounting - use fstrim manually a few times a year instead (I use a monthly cronjob).
      4. If it's small, use btrfs (qualifies under #1) and subvolumes instead of partitions. This will waste less space.

BTW, current Kubuntu's (14.04 or newer) will align automatically.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        1. Use a proper file system (one with SSD support).
        2. Use relatime option when mounting.
        3. Don't use discard when mounting - use fstrim manually a few times a year instead (I use a monthly cronjob).
        4. If it's small, use btrfs (qualifies under #1) and subvolumes instead of partitions. This will waste less space.

BTW, current Kubuntu's (14.04 or newer) will align automatically.
        I read somewhere that ubuntu trim works automatically on samsung drives. mine is an evo 840

Comment

Originally posted by vsreeser View Post
          I read somewhere that ubuntu trim works automatically on samsung drives. mine is an evo 840
          I have 2 840 Pro's and an 850 EVO. I've never heard of "automatic" trim. If you mean the default mounting options include discard (trim), this may be true. However, my recommendation is to not use the defaults and not set discard in the mount options. It simply isn't needed, causes excessive wear, and reduces performance.

Please Read Me

Comment

A weekly fstrim cron job is enabled by default. I remember confirming this on 14.10 and later, but it goes back to 14.04 according to this:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/18903/how-to-enable-trim

Everything I read after buying my 840 EVO said do fstrim weekly or monthly and, for a desktop user at least, all the old tips about reducing writes are pointless for these later generation drives.

"Although the 840 Series is clearly in worse shape than the competition, these results need to be put into context. 500TB works out to 140GB of writes per day for 10 years. That's an insane amount even for power users, and it far exceeds the endurance specifications of our candidates."

http://techreport.com/review/25889/t...t-500tb-update

Comment

Good catch ronw. I set mine for monthly as usual and didn't notice that the weekly entry was there in 15.04. I'll remove it now. IMO, even monthly is too often (not really needed) for trim but doesn't really bother me.

I agree with the second comment too. I don't use trim that often for performance reasons but I'm fully of the opinion that these drives will outlast my desire for them. No doubt their will be a faster/better replacement just down the road. I even put swap on my SSDs although it's often recommended not to. I figure if I hit swap territory, I will need the speed the SSD offers and the whole point of SSDs is performance. I only use HDs for backups and in my server.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                Good catch ronw. I set mine for monthly as usual and didn't notice that the weekly entry was there in 15.04. I'll remove it now. IMO, even monthly is too often (not really needed) for trim but doesn't really bother me.

I agree with the second comment too. I don't use trim that often for performance reasons but I'm fully of the opinion that these drives will outlast my desire for them. No doubt their will be a faster/better replacement just down the road. I even put swap on my SSDs although it's often recommended not to. I figure if I hit swap territory, I will need the speed the SSD offers and the whole point of SSDs is performance. I only use HDs for backups and in my server.

Always something faster down the road. I'm just one of those people who likes to squeeze every ounce of performance out of everything. Last thing I saw projects SSD drives sold today will last roughly 3 decades. They'll be antiques before they die.

Comment

Working...
                X