This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting wireless to work on Dell Latitude D630/ getting [seeing] the driver

I have freshly installed Kubuntu 14.04 on Dell Latitude D630. The system does not see my wireless, and I have read somewhere that ubuntu and kubuntu should have a driver for that from broadcom.
    Here is what the lspci command yields in that department:
    0c:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4311 802.11b/g WLAN (rev 01)
    After googling the problem I went to System Settings->Driver Manager who did the "collecting information about your system" shpiel and yielded an empty list, refreshing it accomplished nothing as well.
    I know that the wireless is Okay because I've tested it in the shop on a Fedora-USB stick.
    Going to the Muon Package Manager I can't get no satisfaction because writing in there anything that is not an application name seems to be yielding no results.
    Please help me. It's supposed to be a gift for my girlfriend which she was going to get tomorrow, so if anyone can help me with step by step instructions between now and then it will be greatly appreciated...
    I'm not very linux saavy.

http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1428

Please Read Me

Comment

+ untill you get the wireless up , you will half to hard wire the box to the net to DL and install the packages ,,,,,,,,, unless you can get them all on a usb-stick (with any depends) and DPKG them in.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Fixing the problem [solved]

Thank you guys for the suggestion. The links you gave me were as dispiriting as what I found myself. And I noticed that the procedure whould have to be repeated after each kernel update.
        However, I installed Fedora 21 because it made the wi-fi active from the get go no questions asked, no tinkering to be done. I think that perhaps on this particular make and model Fedora is the way to go.
        Sorry to be a traitor to the cause and say that on a kubuntu forum But if someone was grappling with the same problem on a Dell D630 Latitude laptop, this is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonrye View Post
          ...this is the way to go.
          It's "a way" to go. If your satisfied, that's really all that matters.

Had you connected your laptop to a wired connection, you would have been able to check System Settings > Driver Manager
          And, like me, you likely would have been presented with the Broadcom driver needed:

Installing dkms afterwards, as vinny suggested, would ensure that when kernel updates get installed, the driver module would be updated automatically.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X