This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD partition allignment

I want to install Kubuntu 14.04 64bit on SSD. I read some articles about the importance of proper allignment:
    http://blog.nuclex-games.com/2009/12...-ssd-on-linux/
    http://www.linux-mag.com/id/8397/

I have to mention that I don't understand much of it.

I'd like to know if installator can do it properly or I need to use some advance tools like Gparted, fdisk?

From technical support I know that my disk has 1,5 MB NAND Block size. And I was suprised to know that they said that allignment is not necessery and I can make partitions without allignment (although I send them link to that articles).

It is Goodram C50 - I guess not very popular, so there is no much information on the web about it.

What do you think - should I allign or no?

Dude, those articles are from 2009 and 2011 - might as well be a century ago. I started using SSDs back in those days, but it's all different now.

The current versions of fdisk and parted all align correctly by default (start at block 2048) and use a default 512KB block size which fits into your 1.5MB NAND just fine. The installer uses these tools as well so all will be good. You can verify after install by running sudo fdisk -l /dev/sda and looking at the beginning sector. Virtually all SSDs are OK right out-of-the-box these days.

Since we're talking about SSDs - my advice is to NOT set trim (discard) as a mount option. You don't need to trim constantly (slows down the drive and increases wear). Either do it manually once every few months or set a cronjob to do it monthly (or less often).

Have fun with your new high-speed toy!

Please Read Me

Comment

A recent article that should answer most questions about SSD installation is here. It fails to mention that you need to install the sysfsutils package which will include the /etc/sysfs.conf file mentioned in the article. Also, under the "Performance Testing" section, disregard the reference to verifying that "trim" is set -- as oshunluvr says, don't use the "discard" mount option, use fstrim and the cron job to take care of that.
      Last edited by dibl; Oct 30, 2014, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Nice article Don!

I would point out that at least for Ubuntu 14.04, the default scheduler is DEADLINE so that particular change isn't needed for Kubuntu users.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
          Nice article Don!
          Thank you. I was particularly pleased to find that fileystem-detecting cron script for running fstrim -- that should help lots of folks.
          Last edited by dibl; Oct 31, 2014, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X