This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer/FAX via network???

Has anyone tried (hopefully successfully) faxing directly from a networked printer/fax?

I have an HP 8600 Pro Deluxe. It prints and scans great. It's attached to an Ubuntu server. I have the FAX portion set up in CUPS but there's no option to enter a phone number. When I "print" to the FAX it goes into the queue but nothing happens.

This isn't a deal breaker, but it would be convenient to have. I'm hoping there's some setting I've missed.

Please Read Me

Out of curiosity, why do you want to print to it as FAX instead of just a normal printer? Are you just messing around with it to learn? What's the difference?

I really don't know anything about FAX, please excuse my ignorance!
    samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

Well, the idea would be to save printing.

Current way:
      1. Create Document
      2. Print Document
      3. Go to printer and move document from print tray to FAX doc feeder.
      4. Fax document
      5. Recycle paper

Preferred way:
      1. Create Document
      2. Fax document

Maybe the answer to your question is: Not create a FAX document, rather to FAX directly without any printed document.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello i try it out but don't works

Comment

Oh I see, so it's for outgoing faxes! If you have a document in electronic format, why not send a PDF?

As for paper copies... is it difficult to scan and email it directly? I've never tried, but it's something that the big office all-in-ones do well... curious about how much effort it takes to set this up on Linux.
          samhobbs.co.uk

Comment

maybe this? http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...fax-gtk.1.html

it's still in the repository
            Linux User #454271

Comment

Originally posted by notabug
              maybe this? ... efax-gtk
              I think efax is for fax modems in your computer, not for a printer/fax on the network.

OP, have you installed HPLIP?
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Part of the issue is the printer isn't directly connected (via USB) to my desktop, rather it's connected through my server which is GUI-less. So the driver (hplip) are installed on the server, but not on the desktop because they aren't needed. Here;s what system setting on the desktop shows;Click image for larger version

Name:	snapshot19.png
Views:	1
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	642472.

I guess my assumption is when one selects the FAX as the "printing" device, a dialog should show up asking for a phone number. The printer is capable of this, just maybe not when networked or when using CUPS or Linux or some combination of those three.

Feathers: The issue isn't that I can or can't use email or send a PDF. The issue arises when the receiver requires or requests a facsimile. For example, I cancelled an insurance policy recently. The state require insurers get cancellation requests in writing. I could mail (or Post if you prefer ) them the request or FAX. FAX is obviously at least a week faster in processing thus I get my refund that much quicker.

Please Read Me

Comment

BTW: I tried installing hp-toolbox and using it on my desktop. It doesn't support CUPS printers apparently.

Also: I did check the URI on the server, it's correct.

Maybe I have to re-configure the printer and directly connect it to the network instead of the server via USB? I like the current arrangement because I don't have to install/setup the printer on every device in our world, just the server.

I'll have to check with HP I guess...
                  Last edited by oshunluvr; Sep 20, 2014, 06:34 AM.

Please Read Me

Comment

I have the same problem with my Brother MFP in linux.
                    I can print and scan via the network, but when I need to fax, it has to be connected via usb.
                    I guess the drivers have not been developped to make faxing via the network possible
                    Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                    linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                    A good place to start:
                    Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

Working...
                    X