This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video card suggestions

I have two older video cards, an GEFORCE 210 and an Radeon 5000, and they both handled their proprietary drivers in 12.04. Both work with open source drivers in 14.04 but neither will install their respective proprietary drivers in 14.04. Does anyone have suggestions for video cards that work cleanly in 14.04?

I have a GeForce 660ti that works fine.

Currently.
    --
    Intocabile

Comment

My on-board nVidia chip, an nforce 630, is 3 or 4 generations behind a Geforce 210, and runs really well, once I get the recommended driver installed.

Regards, John Little
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Geforce 550ti here. Works fine.

Comment

nvidia gtx 670 fine here

Comment

My 8 year old nVidia 8800GT's are still rockin'

Please Read Me

Comment

I really like the new maxwell chips in the Nvidia 550Ti and 750Ti cards. They hardly use any energy compared to other cards (30 watts) and are basically silent if you get one with only one fan (PNY brand type). They handle all the steam games well and CAD etc....

The only drawback is the open source driver is just now adding support so linux installs can be fun (you need nomodeset) and as it turns out on Kubuntu steam is having problems with it. The proprietary driver works well but you need a newer version than ubuntu provides, I have 340 installed here.

Comment

I'm running a geForce GT520, Driver Manager automatically detected a correct driver and installed it on demand. It works with the open source driver, also, but a few things don't work without the proprietary driver (Einstein@Home GPU tasks, for instance, and OGL desktop effects). BTW, this is a PCIe x16 card with 1 GB GDDR3 RAM; not cutting edge by any means, but reasonably capable, and they're available fairly cheaply from the usual discount sources.

Comment

For those struggling with ATI drivers in Kubuntu 14.04 there is a problem with the ATI drivers and xorg 1.15 in Kubutu 14.04. ATI released a fix in July and you may have to download the latest beta Catalyst Center drivers from ATI. See http://linuxg.net/how-to-install-the...ative-systems/

Thank you to all who responded. I am happy at least some didn't have to struggle through such an odd problem. This thread is solved.

Comment

Working...
                  X