This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oracle Java and Open-JDK in Kubuntu 14.04 Beta 2

Hello. Last Trusty update removed oracle-java7-installer and jre and installed open-jdk. I really need oracle java provided by webupd8 for a buch of stuff, since open-jdk does not do everything I need . However, when running sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer, I've got lots of warnings and terminal output said that I was about to do "something potencially destructive", so I didn't continue. What's happening?
    Last edited by geoaraujo; Apr 04, 2014, 11:34 AM.

At this point in the distribution I'd simply wait till the next update cycle.
    And that could very well be after the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      At this point in the distribution I'd simply wait till the next update cycle.
      And that could very well be after the weekend.
      Actually, I HAD to do the last update because of all the mess caused by the previous one.

Comment

That's funny. For now open-jdk is being able to do things that I could do previously only with oracle-java. If it keeps that way, I'll have no need for oracle-java.

Comment

I installed it and it removed apt and kubuntu desktop. I didn't read the warnings because on
          the live DVD this didn't happen This looks like a serious bug..
          I managed to stop it before it destroyed everything. I managed to get back apt by
          downloading the debian apt file and using dpkg to install it.
          Kubuntu really needs a snapshot system to rollback such destructive bugs. Hopefully
          Tux3 will give us this.

Comment

I use Java to run my minecraft server and client so my grandsons and I can have a lot of fun together. Running it using open-jdk appeared to give some problems, and some mods failed to install. I downloaded the 64bit Oracle java tar file and installed it in my home directory. I used it to start both the server and the client. The error messages were exactly the same using Oracle's version, and so were the missing mods. So, I uninstalled it.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by bugjackbaron View Post
              I installed it and it removed apt and kubuntu desktop. I didn't read the warnings because on
              the live DVD this didn't happen This looks like a serious bug..
              I managed to stop it before it destroyed everything. I managed to get back apt by
              downloading the debian apt file and using dpkg to install it.
              Kubuntu really needs a snapshot system to rollback such destructive bugs. Hopefully
              Tux3 will give us this.
              I found some interesting stuff on Tux3.
              Wikipedia on Tux3
              The Tux 3 Linux Filesystem
              Tux3 Versioning Filesystem
              phoronix on Tux3

Btrfs is further along. It looks like there is snapshot and rollback capability with it.
              How to Create and Manage Btrfs Snapshots and Rollbacks on Linux (part 2)
              Btrfs Wiki on Incremental Backup

News for Btrfs:
              Btrfs Gets Big Changes, Features In Linux 3.14 Kernel
              Facebook To Trial Btrfs Deployments
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by life0riley View Post
                When I installed Trusty Tahr after it went ALPHA I selected the btrfs as the filing system. It has worked faultlessly. After Oshunluvur posted some msgs about it I experimented around with it a couple months ago and posted extensively.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Fixed http://www.webupd8.org/2014/04/oracl...ting-with.html

Comment

I can confirm that it is fixed. Installed Oracle java 8 today, thanks to the webupd8 ppa.

Comment

So, I'll mark this as solved.
                      (But, I'm keeping open-jdk for now).

Comment

Working...
                      X