This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

systemd update screwed up policy kit [network manager and muon/qapt]

After the latest update which installed systemd the policy kit got screwed up.
    Now I can't do anything with the network manager or muon.
    I can only update trough apt on the command line.

Any fix recommended?

Trying ti use the network manager on the command line i get the following error:

Code:
    nmcli c list

** (process:14586): WARNING **: Could not initialize NMClient /org/freedesktop/NetworkManager: Rejected send message, 3 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.79" (uid=1000 pid=14586 comm="nmcli c list ") interface="org.freedesktop.DBus.Properties" member="GetAll" error name="(unset)" requested_reply="0" destination="org.freedesktop.NetworkManager" (uid=0 pid=877 comm="NetworkManager ")
    Error: nmcli (0.9.8.8) and NetworkManager (desconhecido) versions don't match. Force execution using --nocheck, but the results are unpredictable.

Comment

humm yup geting the same hear ,,,,,,, but we expect things to get wonky near release if you upgrade often ,,, I usually try to stop upgrading the last few weeks/month before release and wait a week or to after to finalize a beta install ,,,,,,,,,looks like I went a update or two to far ....

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I think I solved it by installing the package "cgmanager", a recommended dependency of systemd-services at the moment. Now it works.
        Try it.
        I tried some other things but I'm pretty sure it was the installation of cgmanager that solved it.

The description of the packages is:
        cgmanager provides a central cgroup manager daemon and a per-namespace manager proxy, allowing users and programs to administrate cgroups through D-Bus requests.
        Maybe it was signaled as recommended when it should be signaled as required.

Comment

Originally posted by rjscosta View Post
          I think I solved it by installing the package "cgmanager", a recommended dependency of systemd-services at the moment. Now it works.
          Try it.
          I tried some other things but I'm pretty sure it was the installation of cgmanager that solved it.

yup,,,,,,installed cgmanager and muon and network manager work again,,,,,,, nice find @rjscosta

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

One recommendation, if you use a system for anything but testing/development, don't enable the "trusty-proposed" repository (that's where most of the problems come from in the devel release). If you have proposed enabled you're much more likely to run into packaging/dependency errors/bugs, as well as breakage. (Doesn't mean you cannot get them otherwise, but most of the issues in "proposed" packages get fixed before they hit the main repos.

Comment

Or xorg-edgers. They are even worse than "proposed" for breaking stuff.

They broke something horrific yesterday with a kde-window-manager dependency that couldn't install because it had an = rather than >= in a version requirement, and they bumped the version of the dependency and released it without fixing the requirement first.

I ended up having to go through ppa-purge to get my desktop to work again. It took me hours to work out that was my only hope to fix it.

Back on topic, thanks for the heads-up rjscosta - I installed the missing dependency before running the update it it went fine.
              --
              Intocabile

Comment

No further worries about systemd breaking something, Linus has stepped in:
                http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/...4.0/01331.html
                On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
                >
                > The response is:
                >
                > "Generic terms are generic, not the first user owns them."

And by "their" you mean Kay Sievers.

Key, I'm f*cking tired of the fact that you don't fix problems in the
                code *you* write, so that the kernel then has to work around the
                problems you cause.

Greg - just for your information, I will *not* be merging any code
                from Kay into the kernel until this constant pattern is fixed.

This has been going on for *years*, and doesn't seem to be getting any
                better. This is relevant to you because I have seen you talk about the
                kdbus patches, and this is a heads-up that you need to keep them
                separate from other work. Let distributions merge it as they need to
                and maybe we can merge it once it has been proven to be stable by
                whatever distro that was willing to play games with the developers.

But I'm not willing to merge something where the maintainer is known
                to not care about bugs and regressions and then forces people in other
                projects to fix their project. Because I am *not* willing to take
                patches from people who don't clean up after their problems, and don't
                admit that it's their problem to fix.

Kay - one more time: you caused the problem, you need to fix it. None
                of this "I can do whatever I want, others have to clean up after me"
                crap.

Linus

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  No further worries about systemd breaking something, Linus has stepped in:
                  http://lkml.iu.edu//hypermail/linux/...4.0/01331.html
                  Epic handbags-at-dawn scenario!

The original (cited in the above thread) bugtrack argument is pretty good, too.
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

After the latest update which installed systemd the policy kit got screwed up.
                    Now I can't do anything with the network manager or muon.
                    I can only update trough apt on the command line.

Any fix recommended?
                    I had the same problem and I could not shutdown. I could only logout and then use the good old power button to shutdown. To my surprise the video was using xserver-xorg-video-vmware. When I removed this package and rebooted everything returned to normal. I could not remove this package with muon as it gave the message that I did not have the authorization to do it. So I use the command line to get rid of it. Once I shutdown and rebooted all was fixed.

Comment

Thanks for that. Definetly borked my install. Only problem was my keyboard wasnt working. I had to log into recovery manager. Use root shell. Mount the file system. Install ppa-purge. Remove xorg edgers and reinstall kde-workspaces. Oh yeah plug in ethernet.

command to mount system in case someone needs it.

sudo mount -o remount,rw /

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
                      Or xorg-edgers. They are even worse than "proposed" for breaking stuff.

They broke something horrific yesterday with a kde-window-manager dependency that couldn't install because it had an = rather than >= in a version requirement, and they bumped the version of the dependency and released it without fixing the requirement first.

I ended up having to go through ppa-purge to get my desktop to work again. It took me hours to work out that was my only hope to fix it.

Back on topic, thanks for the heads-up rjscosta - I installed the missing dependency before running the update it it went fine.

Comment

Yes the update broke some things. My first clue was this after using sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade to update.
                        Code:
                        Errors were encountered while processing:
                         /var/cache/apt/archives/isc-dhcp-client_4.2.4-7ubuntu10_i386.deb
                        E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                        I rebooted and tried sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade again and got this.
                        Code:
                        You might want to run 'apt-get -f install' to correct these.
                        The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                         isc-dhcp-client : Depends: isc-dhcp-common (= 4.2.4-7ubuntu9) but 4.2.4-7ubuntu10 is installed
                        E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
                        So I tried this and the install completed.
                        Code:
                        $ sudo apt-get -f install
                        CPU usage was at 100%. The network manager hada a big red X. There was no reboot or shutdown button.
                        So I rebooted from the terminal.
                        Code:
                        $ sudo shutdown -r now
                        Nothing changed. CPU usage was still at 100%. The network manager hada a big red X, and there was no reboot or shutdown button.
                        I ran out of time this morning because I had to go to work, so I shut it down and decided to try it again when I got home. I figured the next batch of updates would fix things.

I updated again when I got home, and the next batch of updates fixed everything. The network manager no longer has a red X, and I have the reboot and shutdown buttons again.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
                          Epic handbags-at-dawn scenario!

The original (cited in the above thread) bugtrack argument is pretty good, too.
                          It won't be much of a shoot out. The systemd developer may think he own the kernel, but Linus has the BIG GUN and it looks like he used it. The question now is will Kay Sievers accept the chastisement, repent and write better code, or will he be thrown out of the garden? Or, will he be the primadonna that Linus thinks he is, and try to stage a coup? Or, will his pride get the better of him and he will pick up his toys and go home?
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

hello everybody thx for all your support
                            as i have to make a post before posting links i use it to thank everybody for their hard work....kubuntu rocks

Comment

Try it.

i had the same issue as rjscosta....big thx for figuring this out

no shutdown button, no muon or synaptics working and mounting of USB stick was impossible as well...as i dont have access to ethernet and wifi didnt work due this problem it was a big pain in the a**

so thats how i fixed it the noob way...im not a linux wiz....so sorry if the mix up command line-grafical interface meshup disturbs somebody...but it was the easiest way for me to fix this.
                              so here it goes step by step:

- boot into a linux live --> that gave me access to the internet and my broken kubuntu HD
                              - go to https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/trusty/.../0.24-0ubuntu3
                              - click on the build you need on that page...for me it was the trusty i386
                              - download the built file libcgmanager0_0.24-0ubuntu3_YOUR_BUILT.deb
                              - run from terminal
                              Code:
                              kdesudo dolphin
                              to open the file manager with root
                              - now you can use dolphin to copy and paste the two downloaded files to your kubuntu HD wherever you want with root permission (i chose HOME so the path isnt to complicated <---yeah here the noob shows pretty good)
                              - reboot into your broken system
                              - open a terminal
                              - cd into the folder you copied the file before ( for me HOME so --->
                              Code:
                              cd /home/YOUR_USERNAME/
                              )
                              - now install the package with dpkg :
                              Code:
                              sudo dpkg -i libcgmanager0_0.24-0ubuntu3_YOUR_BUILT.deb
                              if in doubt of the YOUR_BUILT....look up the exact filename in dolphin or with dir command
                              - now reboot the system

that fixed it for me and everything is fine again
                              ...i hope this helps a couple of ppl like me....cause it took me hours to figure out how to do it
                              thx again rjscosta you made my day

EDIT: changed gksu to kdesudo thx kubicle...always a good day if you learn something new +1
                              EDIT: took cgmanager out of the step by step-->not necessary thx again kubicle
                              Last edited by firsttomrat; Apr 05, 2014, 09:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X