This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobtreat View Post
    i had to log in from a live dvd and become root of my broken system, repair apt with dpkg, remove the two offending quotation marks and all was well.
    ??

Vinny
    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
    16GB RAM
    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I could not log in and was getting the d-bus error. Turned out there was a problem with apt needing more files but was unable to get them as there was no wireless in the recovery session. I needed to fix apt first to complete the upgrade, used the commands I will paste below, ran dpkg --reconfigure -a, the opened the file in nano the launchpad solution pointed to, removed the quotes from the line he said and was able to boot back in. I'm not a developer or tech, been using ubuntu for years though, got this from Google, so I'm sure there was probably an easier way (;

sudo mount ROOT-PARTITION /mnt
      for i in /sys /proc /run /dev /dev/pts; do sudo mount --bind "$i" "/mnt$i"; done
      sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/etc/
      sudo chroot /mnt

Comment

Had this happen to me tonight on both of my laptops. Solution:

Ctrl+Alt+F1 to drop to a console. Log in. Type:
        Code:
        sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
        When it all finishes, Ctrl+Alt+F8 and login.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmmmm. Now there's an update for libqt5core5a, libqt5dbus5, libqt5xml5 packages, which I've installed manually in an attempt to fix this qdbus trouble.

I don't know... I think I'm going to wait for final release for updating again. Too many issues with Beta 2 this time.

Comment

mmmm.... the problems must be machine dependent. The updates in recent days have not given me any problems.... so far.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I'm not sure "fixed" is the correct term for the solution. A line like the one in which the quotes are removed is probably not doing what the developers intended. But, it does remove the nasty xmessage window saying the qdbus could not be executed.

qdbus=QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus

sets an environment variable for the qdbus program that executes on the line. The environment variable is "qdbus". It's value is "QT_SELECT=qt4" and qdbus is executed. Later in the script $qdbus is expanded but this does not execute qdbus. A better solution is to leave the quotes in as they were and every time qdbus needs to be executed, replace it with

eval $qdbus

I have put a comment in the incident explaining that their "fix" is not really a fix. It just allows folks to log in.

Comment

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...e/+bug/1306086

Harald Sitter (apachelogger) wrote 2 hours ago: #1
                fixed by 4:4.11.8-0ubuntu6, currently building the proposed pocket.
                cheers,
                bill
                sigpic
                A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

I must say that I am puzzled by many still having problems with not being able to login and getting the dbus error. My system was fixed in this area by updates after less than a 1 day of first getting this error. I am not sure if this is machine dependent or a package option issue. I tend to take a chance by having all package options selected in Muon. This is shown in the attached graphics. I am not sure if this is relevant or not.

Edit:
                  I have been away for about a week and the dbus happened during this time and it was soon fixed as the group I was with were pleased to see a presentation of pictures that I had taken during this time. I have now returned and installed all the updates on another computer with 14.04 and all is working without a hitch.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by NoWorries; Apr 11, 2014, 04:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X