Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made a bug report that can be found here...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1304805

Comment

There's a bug on launchpad. Please subscribe. (But do not write useless comments like "Affects me too", please)

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...1/+bug/1304805

// stupid anti-spam system prevents me from posting valid links
      Last edited by SteveRiley; Apr 10, 2014, 10:13 PM. Reason: Fixed the link. Our defenses exist for a reason.

Comment

The Launchpad bug 1304805 now has a solution, comment #12.

Comment

I had the same problem this morning after installing 102 updates. I used my wife's mobile to find out how to start a console from the Login screen (ctrl+alt+F1) and did the update and dist-upgrade 12 hours later. All the new packages solved the problem.

Comment

Sollution
            FIx uploaded in kde-workspace_4.11.8-0ubuntu5Edit /usr/bin/startkde, change:
            qdbus="QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus"
            to remove the quotes
            qdbus=QT_SELECT=qt4 qdbus
            sorry for the breakage
            Next update should contain the patch, it has not arrived for me just yet.

I guess that means this post should be marked as solved?

Comment

Originally posted by Bazzek
              Next update should contain the patch, it has not arrived for me just yet.
              Yup.. I had the same problem here this morning after last nights updates. A quick edit of /usr/bin/startkde with nano put it back right again.
              Hopefully we'll see a fix come down later in the day.

cheers,
              bill
              sigpic
              A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Same here, it hit me last night.
                How strange some saw it earlier...

Regards from Lafayette, LA

Comment

This happened to me following last nights update.

I have tried all solutions available on the 'net. Also checked with nano the file /usr/bin/startkde and find the quotes have been removed suggesting the patch has been made. Even so, when I enter my password the screen goes blank for a couple of seconds before I am taken back to the login screen. The only way I can currently get to the desktop is to hit ctrl+alt+F1 at the login screen, then login and then type

sudo startx

I am then taken to the desktop.

I am stumped

Comment

An update

It appears that somewhere along the line I discovered there was a problem with the .Authority file.

Renaming it from the command line (the last time I used the rm command on that file (about 3 years ago) I wiped out the entire home folder) then typing startx allowed me in, and then rebooting enabled me to go in via kdm.

Comment

Is this fixed already by the updates? What a nasty bug!

Comment

Originally posted by The Liquidator View Post
                        An update

It appears that somewhere along the line I discovered there was a problem with the .Authority file.

Renaming it from the command line (the last time I used the rm command on that file (about 3 years ago) I wiped out the entire home folder) then typing startx allowed me in, and then rebooting enabled me to go in via kdm.
                        It's not fixed yet. And sometimes I get a message when I run startx: "timeout in locking authority file" and can't access my desktop.

Comment

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                          Is this fixed already by the updates? What a nasty bug!
                          Yes, it's been fixed already. I updated again today and it works fine now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gavin77 View Post
                            Yes, it's been fixed already. I updated again today and it works fine now.
                            I still can't login except when running startx, ad even that fails sometimes as I've posted.

Edit: After dealing with .Xauthority, I could login normally for the first time today. It appears to be fixed now...
                            Last edited by geoaraujo; Apr 09, 2014, 02:51 PM.

Comment

He He he ,,,,, I got hit with this last night (04/08/2014) ,,,,,,, I ran off updates and , Bam , couldn't get in to the GUI and I needed to get to a show we were going to watch ,,,,, Hummm me thinks ,,,,, we are still running,, and I just need to get the file from hear to the laptop to be able to watch it .

OK this should be easy enough ,,,,,, ctrl+alt+F6 to a TTY , log in , so far so good , sudo netstat -tunap (to see if SSH was running ) Aaaa yes , ifconfig (to see my ip ) , to the laptop , open dolphin , network , attach network folder , tick the ssh option and fill in the info , Success ,,,, coped the file over and got to watch my show

subsequent updates today fixed the prob and I am back in the GUI and all seams well so far

Originally posted by geoaraujo View Post
                              I still can't login except when running startx, ad even that fails sometimes as I've posted.

Edit: After dealing with .Xauthority, I could login normally for the first time today. It appears to be fixed now...
                              if you run a GUI app with sudo instead of kdesudo this (a borked .Xauthority) can happen.

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I had to log in from a Live DVD and become root of my broken system, repair apt with dpkg, remove the two offending quotation marks and all was well.

Comment

Working...
                                X