Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

KDE User Management Control Module - Where is it?? ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE User Management Control Module - Where is it?? ?

OK... for the life of me I can not find the User Management , no not User Manager, User Management control module....

I did what I needed to do via CLI... after I couldn't find it.. but for the future....

So what [un]obvious name is it now. That I can't see? ? ? ?

Thanks.....

Since 13.10 we're stuck with the lame User Manager. The old functions are now in kuser but the interface isn't quite as clean as is was and you can't launch it from system settings. Another gnome-ish decision by the KDE devs, IMO. It's in the kmenu unser System or hit ALT-F2, and type kdesudo kuser

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Since 13.10 we're stuck with the lame User Manager. The old functions are now in kuser but the interface isn't quite as clean as is was and you can't launch it from system settings. Another gnome-ish decision by the KDE devs, IMO. It's in the kmenu unser System or hit ALT-F2, and type kdesudo kuser
      You may need to install "kuser" package first, I don't think it's installed by default.

Comment

User Management

Kubuntu Forums Knowledge Base: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

:~$ apt-cache show kuser
        Package: kuser
        Priority: optional
        Section: universe/admin
        Description-en: user and group administration tool
        KUser is an application for managing users and groups on your system.
        This package is part of the KDE administration module.

Homepage: http://www.kde.org/
        The KUser can be added to the KDE System settings...
        A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
        Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

Rog isn't going to tell us, so I went looking

Here's how to bring the KDE kuser module to system settings:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management

Please Read Me

Comment

Rog isn't going to tell us, so I went looking

Here's how to bring the KDE kuser module to system settings:

https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ser-Management
            Thanks... but that is really an inferior program/script versus what is in 12.04...

What what was the point of this.... :mad: :mad: :mad:

Really bad move..... just another headache that now has to be resolved... URRRRGHHHHHHHHH! :mad: :mad:

Comment

Then install 12.04. Seriously, if you're this bugged over a free OS that's still in beta testing - you're in the wrong place. I suggest DistroWatch to find something more suitable to your demeanor. Possibly PCLinuxOS would be a better choice for you. Good luck.

Please Read Me

Comment

Then install 12.04. Seriously, if you're this bugged over a free OS that's still in beta testing - you're in the wrong place. I suggest DistroWatch to find something more suitable to your demeanor. Possibly PCLinuxOS would be a better choice for you. Good luck.

Rawr! 😄

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

I can certainly understand the criticism of the new user manager, it's only suitable for the most basic needs and is quite useless for any kind of advanced user/group management.

But kuser is probably as extensive a user manager as one can get with a GUI.

FTR, there were valid reasons for dropping the old userconfig (which was somewhere between the new user management and kuser in features), as it was unmaintained and regularly broke because of changes in the python bindings.

Comment

Average Joe

If there is such thing as the average Kubuntu user - the reasoning behind the Kubuntu user configurator: https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ku...er/006552.html
                    Àlex Fiestas afiestas at kde.org
                    Fri Dec 28 09:34:22 UTC 2012

Why would an average user want to add or modify groups? Or adding an user
                    to them?

I'm willing to do the work but so far I have found no real reason for it.

Power users can always use kuser since it is the app designed for them.

Cheers.
                    On Dec 27, 2012 2:30 PM, "Rafael Belmonte" <***> wrote:

> Good work Alex, but I think that with userconfig we should be able to add
                    > one (or more) users to a group, please add this feature too, if not, many
                    > people will need kuser or will have to edit system files to do it.
                    >
                    A good place to start: Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers
                    Searching FAQ's: Google Search 'FAQ from Kubuntuforums'

Comment

That info on the "why" some how doesn't surprise me...

Like I said in my original post, when I didn't see that there to start I just went back to basics with CLI.. and took it that it was renamed or missing.. but didn't find the packagename to add...but I am not going to agree with that view on the removal... but me and most views on things like this don't agree with me... which is why I have to customize things to get to a true base image for my uses..

So I think I am going to put the package I found else where into 14.04 and see what it does.. and test things.. is 0.9.0 the last

Code:
                      userconfig_0.9.0-0ubuntu11_all.deb
                      That is from 13.04, I think... The package(s) all look to be removed from 13.10... unless some one has a DEB stored some place..

Comment

Here is a bigger issue I have with the user manager. Tried this on a 14.04 beta and daily live image. If you create a new user with the default user manager, and then log out, you will be unable to login with the new user account. The password gets rejected all the time as being incorrect.

However if you create the user and password from the command line it works. If you create the user with user manager, and then reset the password with kuser, it works. This is not lightdm or kdm issue, it's there with both.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up! !

Sigh... sigggghhhhhh.............siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigggggggg ghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh........

Comment

Working...
                          X