This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LightDM & XDMCP

I use XDMCP aka Remote X for a lot of things...

I installed the latest Kubuntu 14.04 ESR daily build for today 3/19...

In getting a base image setup.... I need to enable XMDCP

Problem is...

There is NO lightdm.conf in /etc/lightdm/

Only users.conf

So where is lightdm.conf? ?

A search only finds one /etc/init And that doesn't seem to match what others show for a default lightdm.conf

So before I just trash this and put KDM back on....

Where is lightdm.conf?

ANd which options need to be enabled for XDMCP?? ?

Just
    Code:
    [XDMCPServer]
    enabled=true
    What about this?
    Code:
    xserver-allow-tcp = True
    I've looked at lots of things saying set this...

BUT..

the first line is EDIT /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Which I do not have!

Input? ?

Thanks!

If it is any help here is the contents of my lightdm.conf:
    Code:
    #
    # User accounts configuration
    #
    # NOTE: If you have AccountsService installed on your system, then LightDM will
    # use this instead and these settings will be ignored
    #
    # minimum-uid = Minimum UID required to be shown in greeter
    # hidden-users = Users that are not shown to the user
    # hidden-shells = Shells that indicate a user cannot login
    #
    [UserAccounts]
    minimum-uid=500
    hidden-users=nobody nobody4 noaccess
    hidden-shells=/bin/false /usr/sbin/nologin
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Here's a fully commented lightdm.conf. It's from 13.10, so there could be some additional features in the newer version not here:
      Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

The problem is there is NO lightdm.conf in /etc/lightdm

Code:
        MYBOX@MYBOX-p6633w:~$ cd /etc/lightdm
        MYBOX@MYBOX-p6633w:/etc/lightdm$ ls -la
        total 20
        drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Mar 19 01:19 .
        drwxr-xr-x 140 root root 12288 Mar 20 08:48 ..
        -rw-r--r--   1 root root   456 Mar 17 00:47 users.conf
        So UMM MMM MM M ? Houston we have a problem...

I can't edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as I don't have it.... which is really weird....

Any input... as I am trying to be open.. but I am about one step from the hammer...

and just putting my tried and true KDM back... I was dreading this change... and it is proving to be accurate...

Any ideas ?? ?

Thanks....

Comment

Why can't you copy the file I uploaded to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

I think you're making this too hard...

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by rec9140 View Post
            The problem is there is NO lightdm.conf in /etc/lightdm
            I can't edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf as I don't have it.... which is really weird....

Any input... as I am trying to be open.. but I am about one step from the hammer...

and just putting my tried and true KDM back... I was dreading this change... and it is proving to be accurate...

Any ideas ?? ?

Thanks....
            Files in /etc and its subfolders can only be edited with sudo permission. So, open a Konsole and enter:

sudo kate /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

enter your account password when prompted. Kate will open an empty text file. Paste the contents of one of the uploaded conf files in this thread and then apply the save button.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks.. but.... I am not a newb to this.... fully aware of permissions et al....

There is NO lightdm.conf file to edit... it is non existent.. not there, not found, 404, absent, missing....

Code:
              root@box-p6633w:/etc/lightdm# ls -la
              total 20
              drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Mar 19 01:19 .
              drwxr-xr-x 140 root root 12288 Mar 21 14:11 ..
              -rw-r--r--   1 root root   456 Mar 17 00:47 users.conf
              root@-p6633w:/etc/lightdm#
              That is ALL the files in there... lightdm.conf does not exist...

Comment

Seriously? We're all aware the file is non existent.. not there, not found, 404, absent, missing. That's why we're telling you to copy it there.

You don't know how to copy a file (it's the cp command) but you describe yourself as "not a newb"?

Assuming you downloaded the .txt file I attached above to your home Downloads folder:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/lightdm.conf.txt /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf

Is that too hard? How about using kate as root to load the file and then save it as the new file as GreyGeek outlined in detail above? How about launching Dolphin as root and moving and renaming the file or using the Root Actions Service menu?

Using italics and bold typeface to argue against help that's offered that you haven't even attempted yet is not the attitude anyone on this forum will appreciate. You will be unlikely to get much help here in the future. You should probably look elsewhere and as I suggested in your other thread - you would be better off NOT using a beta release and possibly switching to a simpler more basic distro. In any case, I won't be responding to anymore of your questions. Good luck.
                Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 21, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

SOLVED:

Can't find any file to that matches anything remotely like what numerous sites etc.. tell me to edit...

I knew this lightdm thing would be a problem when it reared its ugly head...

It is gone...

sudo apt-get kdm

When the reconfigure option comes up select KDM, edit kdmrc, and Xaccess, reboot.. DONE!

XDMCP local and SSH... Back to work... no more nonsense....

KDM it works.

Thanks to all who offered constructive responses.... I gave it a shot... with lightdm... but when I can't find what 100000000000 google pages etc.. tell me to edit to enable something... OFF WITH ITS HEAD!

Again... thanks....

Comment

Wow, one can read all these numerous websites, yet not read the posts here 😝

To reiterate, just because the file did not exist in your system does not mean that you can't create it.

Really, Wow. Thanks for the chuckle 😃

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk, like that really matters

Comment

While completely unnecessary, you can do this:

1. Create the nonexistent file you wish were not nonexistent:
                      Code:
                      {sudo} touch [i]file[/i]
                      where file is the file in question. Use or omit sudo as required (don't actually type the curly braces; they indicate an optional part of the command). It's required if you're trying to create a system file.

2. Edit the newly existent (that is, the now not nonexistent) file:
                      Code:
                      {sudo} nano [i]file[/i]
                      where file is the file in question. Use or omit sudo as required (don't actually type the curly braces; they indicate an optional part of the command). It's required if you're trying to edit a system file.

Comment

That was surreal ...

Comment

To the late replies...

First, I deal with linux, and specifically Kubuntu based distros for several decades... "newb" responses about touch filename and sudo nano etc.. are not helpful, and I am fully aware of them...

LightDM is new to me.. I looked up XDMCP and lightdm.. LightDM sites point to edit /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf and change a setting to enable XDMCP, just like KDM.. change 2 settings in 2 files, your done..

As I stated.... /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf does NOT EXIST.

So I have no idea where this install of LightDM is getting its settings....I am not going to go in and just create a file, cut and paste some huge file into, or a single command and then who knows what happens..

I wanted a simple answer...

Hey lightdm.conf is in /usr/share/stupiddir/thatSomeKubuntudolt/putithere/forsomereason/lightdm.conf

Edit it there, and change this to XDMC=true, save, restart LightDM... Your ready.
                          Or

Something else that explains why there is no lightdm.conf to edit...

Giving me some default file to edit, great.. I've seen that one 100's times...

Why is there no /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf to edit? ? To me that says borq'd... program...and who knows how it is even working on this install... so...lets ask for assistance...

It is irrelevant anyway, as I expected, I will be removing LightDM from my image(s), and KDM put back, made the default... XDMCP local and SSH enabled, and back to work...

Comment

Something else that explains why there is no lightdm.conf to edit...

Giving me some default file to edit, great
                            I don't have lightdm installed but judging the apt-file output of various lightdm related packages, it seems to me the default configuration has been moved to confdirs instead of a single config file (/usr/share/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/*.conf and /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/*.conf). Confdirs make it possible for different packages to put their own config snippets in the confdirs without having to modify a single config file...the program just reads all the files in a confdir as if they were the config "file"....so in this case you could put your configuration additions to /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/99-mylightdm.conf, for example)

It is irrelevant anyway, as I expected, I will be removing LightDM from my image(s), and KDM put back, made the default... XDMCP local and SSH enabled, and back to work...
                            That's a fine option, for a while at least. KDM will be going away eventually (but not for a while), KDE5/Wayland will be using something else.

As far as lightdm is concerned, it showcases all the trademarks of a "Canonical Software Project":
                            1. Crappy implementation.
                            2. Constant changes for no apparent reason.
                            3. Non-existent, outdated and/or incoherent documentation.

Comment

Working...
                            X