This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
    While I agree with what you're saying, it's also true that my settings are now loading after a reboot for the first time in a long time.
    Lucky you...doesn't work here on my T520 with:
    Code:
    steve@t520:~$ [B]sudo lshw -C display[/B]
      *-display                                                                                                                                                                              
           description: VGA compatible controller
           product: GF119M [Quadro NVS 4200M]
           vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
           physical id: 0
           bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
           version: a1
           width: 64 bits
           clock: 33MHz
           capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom
           configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
           resources: irq:47 memory:f2000000-f2ffffff memory:e0000000-efffffff memory:f0000000-f1ffffff ioport:5000(size=128) memory:f3080000-f30fffff

Comment

Are you using nvidia-persistenced?
      --
      Intocabile

Comment

Originally posted by Spadge View Post
        Are you using nvidia-persistenced?
        No. In Xorg-Edgers, nvidia-persistenced is only at version 331.20. I like to always use the latest driver, which is currently 331.49.

Comment

331.49 from xorg edgers here.

Code:
          spadge@Jupiter:~$ nvidia-persistenced -v

nvidia-persistenced:  version 331.49  (buildmeister@swio-display-x86-rhel47-10)
          Wed Feb 12 20:20:27 PST 2014

spadge@Jupiter:~$ sudo dpkg -l nvidia-331 | grep ^ii
          ii  nvidia-331                                  331.49-0ubuntu1~xedgers14.04.3                     amd64        NVIDIA binary driver - version 331.49
          --
          Intocabile

Comment

Ah, now I realize we're comparing different Kubuntu releases. I'm still on Saucy.

Code:
            steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache policy nvidia-331[/B]
            nvidia-331:
              Installed: 331.49-0ubuntu1~xedgers13.10.3
              Candidate: 331.49-0ubuntu1~xedgers13.10.3
              Version table:
             *** 331.49-0ubuntu1~xedgers13.10.3 0
                    500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ saucy/main amd64 Packages
                    100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-cache policy nvidia-persistenced[/B]
            nvidia-persistenced:
              Installed: (none)
              Candidate: 331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1
              Version table:
                 331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1 0
                    500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ saucy/main amd64 Packages
            I didn't realize this thread was in the Trusty forum.

Comment

Weirdest thing is I get the same result as you doing the same search.

Code:
              spadge@Jupiter:~$ apt-cache policy nvidia-persistenced
              nvidia-persistenced:
                Installed: (none)
                Candidate: 331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~trusty1
                Version table:
                   331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~trusty1 0
                      500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/xorg-edgers/ppa/ubuntu/ trusty/main amd64 Packages
              But the one I have is 331.49 and not installed as its own package but rather came integral with the 331 drivers, I guess.
              --
              Intocabile

Comment

Probably a packaging difference. I don't have any persistenced package installed. Furthermore, if I try to install one, APT wants to remove my currently installed driver.

Code:
                steve@t520:~$ [B]apt-get --simulate install nvidia-persistenced[/B] 
                NOTE: This is only a simulation!
                      apt-get needs root privileges for real execution.
                      Keep also in mind that locking is deactivated,
                      so don't depend on the relevance to the real current situation!
                Reading package lists... Done
                Building dependency tree       
                Reading state information... Done
                The following packages will be REMOVED:
                  nvidia-331
                The following NEW packages will be installed:
                  nvidia-persistenced
                0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 1 to remove and 16 not upgraded.
                Remv nvidia-331 [331.49-0ubuntu1~xedgers13.10.3]
                Inst nvidia-persistenced (331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1 xorg-edgers fresh X crack:13.10/saucy [amd64])
                Conf nvidia-persistenced (331.20-0ubuntu1~xedgers~saucy1 xorg-edgers fresh X crack:13.10/saucy [amd64])

Comment

Yep, I get exactly the same result here to that command, and yet the cmd 'nvidia-[tab][tab]' shows ...

Code:
                  spadge@Jupiter:~$ nvidia-
                  nvidia-bug-report.sh     nvidia-debugdump         nvidia-settings
                  nvidia-cuda-mps-control  nvidia-detector          nvidia-smi
                  nvidia-cuda-mps-server   nvidia-persistenced      nvidia-xconfig
                  there it is, and at v331.49

Code:
                  spadge@Jupiter:~$ dpkg -L nvidia-331 | grep persistenced
                  /lib/udev/rules.d/69-nvidia-persistenced.rules
                  /etc/init/nvidia-persistenced.conf
                  /usr/bin/start-nvidia-persistenced
                  /usr/lib/nvidia-331/bin/nvidia-persistenced
                  /usr/share/man/man1/alt-nvidia-331-persistenced.1.gz
                  /usr/share/doc/nvidia-331/html/nvidia-persistenced.html
                  --
                  Intocabile

Comment

Ooooooookay...I'm seeing the same things here. Obviously (or not), persistenced has been merged into 331.49. I apparently need to spend some time with the man pages for nvidia-persitenced and nvidia-smi. Thanks for the tip!

Comment

Good afternoon.
                      Excuse me, but I torment this problem with Kubuntu 14.04 for quite a while.
                      Probably a kernel update to 3.13.0-20 - until this problem was not.
                      I order Google this question and found nothing at all on the issue, quite by accident, in desperation, I decided to browse this forum. And found the problem, this writing in this thread.
                      And sorry for the writing and presentation of a problem - I do not very well know English language, and is forced to seek the assistance of an interpreter.
                      However, the problem here as I understand the owners of Nvidia graphics cards. I'm "happy" owner of AMD graphics cards and the problem.
                      In general, I put a lot of Kubuntu 14.04 and earlier problems with the video driver is not experienced.
                      And just recently, I decided to put it back, but there was a problem with proprietary driver, namely xorg.conf.
                      Today I killed overnight in an attempt to solve the problem on one of the machines - and no ((((
                      I tried to put the driver from AMD sites, collecting packages for Ubuntu - and miss. Tried to put in the repositories of Ubuntu - the same ((
                      The idea is that when you install it Deb packages after the packages have been established, and I run sudo aticonfig --initial , in /etc/X11 create normal xorg.conf.
                      But after restart my computer, the file xorg.conf appears something like "...pci1...device...." I do not remember.
                      A normal configuration to become what that bunch of numbers, such as xorg.conf.03112014 , they led posts earlier and therefore did not really work.
                      But it is noteworthy that if you put a video driver, beta, AMD site without collecting bags, and simply running the executable file - config is normally generated, as expected.
                      But break effects in the system and in general, not a solution. As I said earlier - put clean system and fussed all night without success.
                      But what is even more remarkable - a second mashine was 13.10 and I updated it to 14.04. There was a proprietary driver from AMD collected for me Saucy. It is clear that after the update is the same story is xorg.config.
                      But here I just removed the proprietary driver first collected earlier Deb package. And then just shook beta site with AMD and put just running this file.
                      And no problems, everything works as it effects and HD video watched in XBMC. No special problems. The only thing, I can not put xvba-va-driver, refers to dependence and again pulls fglrx, fglrx-amdcccle from repositories.
                      But, after all works well! when upgrading from 13.10, why should I not manage to properly put on a clean 14.04??! Any ideas?

Comment

Interesting to read the same (or maybe a similar) problem can happen with an AMD card.

For me the problem disappeared after I added 'GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="nomodeset" ' to /etc/default/grub.

Then there were some more updates and eventually I could remove the above line from grub and still have correct video settings.

It's discussed in this thread:
                        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...ideo-behaviour

Comment

Working...
                        X