This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xorg.conf

Just an observation, today I saw an update for the nVidia driver and a little later it had disabled the xorg.conf file by appending the date (in American) to it's name.

I think the nvidia-prime package is responsible for this?

Edit: Yup... removing nvidia-prime (and bbswitch-dkms) finally let me have my monitors in the correct, xorg.conf-defined order. I don't know why this got installed automatically on a non-Optimus system...
    Last edited by Guest; Mar 08, 2014, 06:17 AM.

Comment

On my system, that file was created but as a backup. The xorg.conf file is still there but with changes commented. It removed the keyboard and mouse sections/line because HAL now detects and controls those devices. Keyboard settings are now read from /etc/default/console-setup.

Please Read Me

Comment

Aha, I hadn't heard/read about /etc/default/console-setup but on my computer it has no input for the screen brightness.
        That's how I found out there was something wrong, I couldn't change the brightness.

Comment

The same thing happened to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which I had created to switch from "sna" to "uxa" acceleration, which stabilizes the accelerated video.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
            Just an observation, today I saw an update for the nVidia driver and a little later it had disabled the xorg.conf file by appending the date (in American) to it's name.
            Hm. Version 331.49? My system updated to that recently. My hand-crafted xorg.conf remained untouched.
            Code:
            steve@t520:~$ [B]cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf[/B]
            Section "Device"
                Identifier     "Device0"
                Driver         "nvidia"
                VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"
                BoardName      "NVS 4200M"
                Option         "TripleBuffer" "1"
                Option         "OnDemandVBlankInterrupts" "1"
                Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
                Option         "RegistryDwords" "PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x3; PowerMizerLevelAC=0x3; PowerMizerDefault=0x3; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x3"
            EndSection

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
            The same thing happened to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, which I had created to switch from "sna" to "uxa" acceleration, which stabilizes the accelerated video.
            Hm, those are Intel-related options, not nVidia. UXA is pre-Sandy Bridge. Are there still problems with SNA?

Comment

Originally posted by SteveRiley View Post
              Hm, those are Intel-related options, not nVidia. UXA is pre-Sandy Bridge. Are there still problems with SNA?
              Hey, welcome back! (Till the Vega Interop!)

Yes. You're right, Intel is my video chip and is the one I use, but I also have a secondary GT 650M Nvidia chip in this Acer and the xserver upgrade apparently saw and de-activated my hand-crafted xorg.conf file twice, in two successive updates, by appending the date after it.

SNA acceleration improves my acceleration by about 10-20% (guesstimate) but also creates tearing and black triangles and rectangles, along with ring hangs. When I create /etc/X11/xorg.conf with
              Code:
              Section "Device"
                 Identifier  "Intel Graphics"
                 Driver      "intel"
                 Option      "AccelMethod"  "uxa"
              EndSection
              my accelerated graphics is stable, and I still get a vsync speed of 60fps in apps like Stellarium and Minecraft.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                SNA acceleration improves my acceleration by about 10-20% (guesstimate) but also creates tearing and black triangles and rectangles, along with ring hangs.
                What versions of xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-intel do you have installed?

Comment

What versions of xserver-xorg-core and xserver-xorg-video-intel do you have installed?
                  xserver-xorg-core: 2:1.15.0-1ubuntu7
                  xserver-xorg-video-intell: 2:2.99.910-0ubuntu1

Comment

Those are quite fresh versions. Maybe it's your hardware? How old is the machine exhibiting the weird artifacts? Which Intel graphics generation?

Comment

About the nVidia version on my W520, it's 331.38

Comment

These nVidia problems are odd. I wonder why mine didn't get overwritten? I'm using Xorg-Edgers, which has 331.49.

Comment

These nVidia problems are odd. I wonder why mine didn't get overwritten? I'm using Xorg-Edgers, which has 331.49.
                          Mine was not either. It made a copy as others have had - with the date appended to the file name - but left the original intact except for the removal of keyboard and mouse stanzas.

Please Read Me

Comment

I'm stumped. Nothing has happened inside my /etc/X11 since last year:
                            Code:
                            steve@t520:~$ ll -alrt /etc/X11
                            total 96
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Jul 19  2012 xkb/
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root    13 Aug 15  2012 XvMCConfig
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root   265 Aug 23  2012 Xsession.options
                            -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root   709 Aug 23  2012 Xreset*
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root 17394 Aug 23  2012 rgb.txt
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root   601 Sep 16  2012 Xwrapper.config
                            lrwxrwxrwx   1 root root    13 Sep 16  2012 X -> /usr/bin/Xorg*
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 26  2013 cursors/
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Apr 26  2013 xinit/
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root  2185 Apr 29  2013 xorg.conf.backup
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 18 20:59 Xresources/
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Oct 18 20:59 Xreset.d/
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Nov  4 10:26 Xsession.d/
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root   820 Dec 14 22:51 xorg.conf.save
                            -rw-r--r--   1 root root   578 Dec 14 23:57 xorg.conf
                            -rwxr-xr-x   1 root root  3754 Dec 19 23:20 Xsession*
                            drwxr-xr-x   2 root root  4096 Dec 31 22:31 app-defaults/
                            drwxr-xr-x 149 root root 12288 Mar 14 14:43 ../
                            drwxr-xr-x   9 root root  4096 Mar 14 17:02 ./
                            I'm happy...I think? LOL

Comment

Code:
                              stuart@office:~$ ll -alrt /etc/X11
                              total 22716
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      265 Jul  1  2008 Xsession.options
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root    17394 Dec  3  2009 rgb.txt
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       13 Aug 15  2012 XvMCConfig
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root        0 Sep 27  2012 xkb/
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      601 Oct 17  2012 Xwrapper.config
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root       18 Oct 17  2012 default-display-manager
                              lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       13 Mar  8  2013 X -> /usr/bin/Xorg*
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root      258 Mar 23  2013 cursors/
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root       30 Mar 23  2013 fonts/
                              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     1239 Mar 23  2013 Xreset*
                              -rw-r----- 1 root root 24264704 Apr 14  2013 core
                              -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     3805 Apr 19  2013 Xsession*
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root      951 Jan 10 18:48 Xstartup
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     2179 Jan 18 08:34 xorg.conf.back1
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root       20 Jan 20 13:41 Xresources/
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root       12 Jan 20 13:41 Xreset.d/
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root      644 Jan 20 14:24 app-defaults/
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root       64 Jan 20 14:27 xinit/
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root      782 Jan 20 14:30 Xsession.d/
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     2274 Jan 20 14:35 xorg.conf.dist-upgrade-201401201435
                              -rw-r--r-- 1 root root     2891 Jan 20 14:35 xorg.conf
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root      434 Jan 20 14:35 ./
                              drwxr-xr-x 1 root root     5310 Mar 13 18:06 ../
                              Mine.

Oh, and I'm indifferent...
                              Last edited by oshunluvr; Mar 14, 2014, 06:06 PM. Reason: attitude

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X